Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

SP 700 Rear Brake and Coolant Problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2003, 12:30 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SP 700 Rear Brake and Coolant Problem

I have a 2002 SP 700 which is leaking coolant and I have tightened the bolts of the pump cover which were quite loose and the leak seems to be resolved, Does anyone know if this will be enough or will I need to remove the cover completely and mess with it some more? Also my rear brake pedal goes to the floor and the manual says there is no adjustment??? Anyone got any ideas?

Old 03-01-2003, 02:55 PM
Pro Rider

I dont iknow about the brake but the water pump is a recall thing take it to any polaris dealer and they well fix it FREE theyll but a metal plate over it.....

Old 03-01-2003, 09:40 PM
Trailblazer

If the pedal goes all the way down you will need to bleed some brake fluid out.I have seen alot of the 700 with this problem.After you have bleed the the brakes double check your level again.

Old 03-01-2003, 10:35 PM
Pro Rider

When my water pump started leaking I tightened the bolts, still leaked, took cover off and put permatex on, still leaked. Brought it to dealer, they sanded it down and checked it against a perfectly flat marble surface (because the cover was warped). Never had a bit of trouble again. Apparently there is now a replacement cover or something, so you wouldn't have to try sanding it flat unless you were ambitious. Mine also leaked from the plastic tee fitting in the upper radiator hose (visible on drivers side behind front wheel) It actually exploded because I overheated the machine by jamming fan full of mud. The dealer had seen this particular part fail before and gave me an upgraded one. By the way, this tee exploded at the same instant that the "hot" light came on. No warning at all. The next leak was when the rear most radiator hose rubbed against a vertical frame support near that tee. It comes with a plastic flexible guard over it, but it wore right thru that. If you check out the new ones they have a little metal bracket that holds the hose away from the sharp edge of the rail. As far as the brake goes, I noticed my foot brake totally went away when I installed my lift kit. I assume this is an adjustment but I haven't got around to it. I am going to do the pads if we ever get a nice day around here, I'll probably adjust it then. If you don't have a lift then I would guess that it either went way out of adjustment or your rear brakes are gone. If you don't have much mileage on it, is it possible that someone rode with their foot resting on the brake lever, lightly dragging the back brake causing it to wear prematurely? I always try to remember to keep my boot away from it. Good luck

Old 03-02-2003, 10:20 AM
Trailblazer

Thanks all for the information so far... I was wondering if there is any recall type information from Polaris on the water pump cover problem (my dealer is a weasel, they'll try and charge me). As far as the rear brakes go, the leaver on the handlebars works well on all 4 wheels so do I still want to consider bleeding the brakes?[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 03-02-2003, 10:44 AM
Pro Rider

I was wondering the same thing about bleeding them if the lever still feels right. I wouldnt think so. Kick your dealer in the shins. Check the adjustment at the foot lever. You can see it if you look behind the floorboard. There are several settings to hook it up to.

I used to love the saying "drive (ride) it like you stole it" then I came up with "Drive it like you hate it".
Now my new saying is "drive it like you rented it!" Obviously it applies more to cars than atvs, but I thought you might get a chuckle out of it anyway. Unless you work for Enterprise...

Old 03-02-2003, 11:16 AM
Range Rover

A dealer changed the waterpump cover on my SP700 and didn't change out the seal that requires a special tool that only works on the 700 so of course my waterpump still leaks. I am now waiting for the dealer to get in the tool that was ordered 10 days ago, so my bike is sitting out in the rain at the dealership.

Old 03-02-2003, 11:22 AM
Pro Rider

Mudmaster you mite want to find out for sure but I had my 7oo in the shop for a lub job and I didnt even buy it there.When I picked it up they told me they but the upgrade on the waterpump.I told them it wasnt leaking and Im not paying for it.They said it was a recalled from polaris and it was free.do a search in this form there was alot of post on the 700 water pumps and the recall....

Old 03-02-2003, 05:23 PM
Range Rover

The following is from the SP700 service manual.
AUXILIARY BRAKE ADJUSTMENT (HYDRAULIC)
Use the following procedure to inspect the hydraulic auxilary (foot) brake system and "ADJUST" or bleed if necessary.
1. First check foot brake effectiveness by appling a 50 lb. (approx.) downward force on the pedal. The top of the pedal should be at least 1 inch (25.4mm) above the surface of the footrest.
IF LESS THAN ONE INCH, TWO THINGS MUST BE EXAMINED
FREE PLAY:
Free play of the brake pedal should be 1/8 - 1/4 inch (3.2-6.35mm)
If free play is excessive, inspect pedal," LINKAGE", and master cylinder for wear or damage and replace any worn parts.
BLEEDING
If free play is correct and brake pedal travel is still excessive, air may be trapped somewhere in the system. Bleed the hydraulic auxiliary brake system in a convential manner. following the procedure outlned in the brake chapter.
AUXILIARY BRAKE TESTING
The auxiliary brake should be checked for proper adjustment.
1. Support the rear wheels off the ground.
2. While turning the rear wheels by hand, apply the auxiliary foot brake. This brake should not stop the wheels from turning until the lever is half way between its rest position and bottoming on the footrest.

I think the two key words here are "ADJUST" and "LINKAGE", so according to the service manual, the foot brake can be adjusted even though the owners manual says it can't be. I would check to see if the so called linkage has some how come loose.

Old 03-02-2003, 06:04 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks Pickey, I think the linkage is good (see Pic) . Say you dont happen to have the procedure outlned in the brake chapter?
See Pic

Quick Reply: SP 700 Rear Brake and Coolant Problem