Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Northern wisconsin trails?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2003, 04:08 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Northern wisconsin trails?

Does anybody from Wisconsin know if it is possible to get from Iron River, Wisconsin to Park Falls Wisconsin. We are thinking about doing a ride this summer and I am not sure if that is possible. Thanks for any help.

Old 03-05-2003, 10:14 PM
Weekend Warrior

i dnt know, but i live in millwaukee and go up north to florence for our campin and fishing and stuff, theres not much atv trails up there, i do some illegally, but where do u go?, what are some good leagal spots in WI?

Old 03-05-2003, 11:35 PM
Pro Rider

It's likely that it is not possible. Snowmobiles get many trails in that part of wisconsin, and ATV's get maybe 1/2 of what the snowmobiles do. If you really want to see some beautiful scenery, go from Iron River up the Iron horse trail to Wabash, refuel, and head to Port Wing and back to Iron River. Makes for a long day, but the scenery is beautiful...lots of up and down hills, and a view of superior. It's been our favorite trail for the past 2 years we've ridden around Hayward on our ATV's. Also check out the dead horse run and tuscobia trail over by Loretta. The tuscobia is a RR grade, fast paced and scenic. The Dead Horse is a more advanced trail. Not a lot of hills, but lots of water and some mud. If you are a novice, make sure you have a 4x4 machine and a buddy, and at least a tow rope bet. the 2 of you, if not a winch. Hope you have a fun trip, you won't be disapointed!!

---------
03 predator
02 Scrambler 400 X (for sale)

Old 03-31-2003, 09:51 AM
Pro Rider

I know I'm a little late to post on this if you wanted to do some winter riding, but there are a lot of trails that are open for both sleds and quads up there. I know of the Dunbar/Goodman area, and if you would like a trail map, let me know. I know the President of that trail system and their e-mail address. They are always happy to send a trail map. Let me know!

Old 03-31-2003, 11:27 AM
Pro Rider
Your friend needs to stop smoking whatever it is that is rotting his brain!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey,pudljumper !!
I have a sister that lives in Nashua, my parents live in New Hampton, so I get around your area when I visit the folks. I have been up to Iron River with my son for the last few years, took the route from Iron River to Port Wing, the only thing I didn't like was after getting off the Battleaxe trail, it was all gravel roads to Port Wing, then paved roads in town,not the best for the 4wd. I did like driving almost to the shores of the lake, only bad thing was the tent worms had stripped most of the leaves off the trees. Never went farther west to Wabash, how is the trail that way? do you just follow the cinder trail along the highway,or is there another trail?

Old 03-31-2003, 12:09 PM
Pro Rider

95wolv,
It is a very small world isn't it!! The trails from wabash to port wing are a lot of fun, lots of ups and downs in sandy to harpacked wooded trails. But when you get about 4 miles from port wing, it magically turns into gravel roads again. Still, we ride pretty hard through the trails, so the gravel is welcome to kick back and put the throttle on cruise for a short break.

Old 12-01-2010, 05:47 PM
Weekend Warrior
Thumbs up northern wis trails

Hi,

for ATV trail in Wisconsin, last year I went to Crandon, in Forest County. Their public trail is an 8 mile loop. IT was ok. Then I went to Hiles, who allows ATV's on it's town roads, most of which are in the forest. IT was a lot of of beautiful scenery. Nice, smooth roads. a few rolling hills. Great for a beginner or just a sight seer. There's also a motel in town and a bar which is on the trail. We were on the trail all day and saw only 2 other atver's. Not crowded like some of the other trails. Great place to ride.

Old 12-02-2010, 12:35 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ditto on the trail from Superior to Port Wing-nice ride! Big thing to watch is landowners no longer allowing atv's in the summer on portions. We ran into that earlier this year(not on the Port Wing loop-it was a different run). Can't remember what part it was but we couldn't find a way around either. Nice trail system and pretty cool that the sleds and atv's can live in harmony. Now all we need is something like that here in MN. Probably never see the day were atv's can ride in the winter but I'm starting to work on at least getting tracked class I and II atv's allowed once the snow flies. Pretty sure tracks still aren't allowed in WI either which sucks but hopefully as they become more popular that will change. I'll gladly spend my $ in WI if MN doesn't get on board.