Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

He gave back two crappy Preds!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2003, 05:48 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default He gave back two crappy Preds!!!!!!

G'day guys.

Rob 4092, after not being able to fix the pred popping problems, gave them back & left with 2 new
Raptors.
I believe he tried everything.
I can see myself doing the same unless POLARIS start addressing OUR problems.

His post is on the Yamaha site, "sold my banshees,bought two predators"

Could someone please teach me how to send links for your sake.

thanks from down under, Geoff.

Old 03-16-2003, 11:23 AM
Pro Rider

What problems are you talking about? I haven't heard of a "popping" problem before.

Old 03-16-2003, 11:27 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by: aussiequadrider
G'day guys.

Rob 4092, after not being able to fix the pred popping problems, gave them back & left with 2 new
Raptors.
I believe he tried everything.
I can see myself doing the same unless POLARIS start addressing OUR problems.

His post is on the Yamaha site, "sold my banshees,bought two predators"

Could someone please teach me how to send links for your sake.

thanks from down under, Geoff.
To send a link just click on the "http" button on top of the text box, a pop up will appear asking you for the link's address, then will promp you for the name of the link.

Old 03-16-2003, 12:34 PM
Trailblazer

Hi everyone,
Well, I'm sorry to hear about Rob4092 and the return of his Predators. I guess I can understand his situation, though. I PM'ed him earlier this week and didn't hear back from him, so I was concerned he had had enough. I guess we are all going to have to make a similar decision if we are still having the popping problem, as I am.

I have tried every possible jetting combination there is, and I still have it. I am convinced that the issue is the W/B slip-on and the factory CDI. With such low backpressure as the W/B-factory header system has, coupled with the low hit on the rev-limiter, and the fact it retards the timing by up to 4 degrees as it hits, PLUSSS allowing cooler ambient air back into the exhaust system, all spells "POPPING" to me. I have installed a tach on my Pred and have found it hits the rev limiter at about 8500+/-. It is a pretty inconsistent "+/-" also! I am getting great power and overall performance with my current jetting combo, and I love all other aspects of this quad. I just believe that this quad deserves a little OVER-REV capability so you can enjoy the great power it is making, without sounding like a backfiring Mazda rotary engine. It is totally embarrassing!

I will stick with it for now, and change the exhaust when a complete Yoshimura system is available (I'm told in about a month). Yoshimura is what I wanted for the quad anyway, as I really trust their engineering and proven experience with 4-strokes. I am hoping that Yosh will also make one of their CDI boxes for this quad. They probably will, because they will undoubtedly find out that the stock CDI is a problem. I also spoke with the folks at DYNA, and they tell me they are working on a CDI for this quad. The upset is that we will all probably have to fork out more $$$$ to buy what should have been on the quad to start with.

However, if none of these efforts work to fix the popping problem, I will do the ultimate FIX!!! I will purchase a Honda CR-500 2-stroke motor and by whatever means necessary, I will fit it into the Predator chassis. I know then that I can have a reliable motor that will easily put out 60+ hp, with very little effort.

Good luck to all,

And Rob4092, if you read this PM me asap...

JJ

Old 03-16-2003, 12:45 PM
Pro Rider

Installed WB slip on on my Predator and no-poping issue. Also have buddy same results. We did however only put on slip on and not changed air filters or jetting. We are at 0-200 ft where they suggest no jetting changes. Both of them flat out rips...but from what I can gather when you start messing with jetting air box mods that is when the trouble may start. Gary @ esuperbikes.com I think has an airbox mod that comes with a jet kit and he will personally give you help on phone or if you are part of club will install the carberator parts for free to get them right if you send them your carb. Its a shame people have problem with new quads no matter what brand they are. later

Old 03-16-2003, 01:35 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by: JJGI5150
Hi everyone,
Well, I'm sorry to hear about Rob4092 and the return of his Predators. I guess I can understand his situation, though. I PM'ed him earlier this week and didn't hear back from him, so I was concerned he had had enough. I guess we are all going to have to make a similar decision if we are still having the popping problem, as I am.

I have tried every possible jetting combination there is, and I still have it. I am convinced that the issue is the W/B slip-on and the factory CDI. With such low backpressure as the W/B-factory header system has, coupled with the low hit on the rev-limiter, and the fact it retards the timing by up to 4 degrees as it hits, PLUSSS allowing cooler ambient air back into the exhaust system, all spells "<STRONG>POPPING</STRONG>" to me. I have installed a tach on my Pred and have found it hits the rev limiter at about 8500+/-. It is a pretty inconsistent "+/-" also! I am getting great power and overall performance with my current jetting combo, and I love all other aspects of this quad. I just believe that this quad deserves a little OVER-REV capability so you can enjoy the great power it is making, without sounding like a backfiring Mazda rotary engine. It is totally embarrassing!

I will stick with it for now, and change the exhaust when a complete Yoshimura system is available (I'm told in about a month). Yoshimura is what I wanted for the quad anyway, as I really trust their engineering and proven experience with 4-strokes. I am hoping that Yosh will also make one of their CDI boxes for this quad. They probably will, because they will undoubtedly find out that the stock CDI is a problem. I also spoke with the folks at DYNA, and they tell me they are working on a CDI for this quad. The upset is that we will all probably have to fork out more $$$$ to buy what should have been on the quad to start with.

However, if none of these efforts work to fix the popping problem, I will do the ultimate FIX!!! I will purchase a Honda CR-500 2-stroke motor and by whatever means necessary, I will fit it into the Predator chassis. I know then that I can have a reliable motor that will easily put out 60+ hp, with very little effort.

Good luck to all,

And Rob4092, if you read this PM me asap...

JJ
It is not fair to say your upset because you have to buy an aftermarket CDI unit. In stock form you had no problem,right? If that's the case then it's not the manufacturer's fault that a problem arises when you change something. That would apply to any quad or bike for that reason. If it's defective naturally then it should be a warranty issue.Bubba

Old 03-16-2003, 02:08 PM
Trailblazer

Hi Bubba,

I agree that would be correct, in most cases, however, my Predator came from the dealer with the W/B and has popped since day one. I made it better by removing discs, but it has never gone away. I have seen and heard at least 4 other totally stock Predators that have a lot of popping at the top end. My dealer doesn't know anything, and even told me I have learned more about all this than he has in his calls to Polaris.

I am not trashing the company, I know this is basically a very good quad. It does have some problems, and Polaris should be responsive to the situation. If they would just offer to talk to us about it instead of sending us in a circle back and forth to our dealer, they would gain a zillion points in PR, the kind of positives that no amount of advertising $$$ can buy...

I'm going to keep mine...and still play with it a while before I start my CR-500 motor search....there will be some better CDI's and exhausts systems out there soon....I really think the CDI is the biggest problem...It may be just set too low an rpm, or just a low quality piece...

Take care,

JJ

Old 03-16-2003, 02:34 PM
Pro Rider

I agree with Polaris seeming to "disappear" after the sale. These forums have helped me far more than the dealers or factory.

Come on Polaris Industries, we're people - not just figures in a business plan. We like your products, we just wish you would talk to us. Every time we buy a Polaris product we support you, how about you give a little support back.

Old 03-16-2003, 02:38 PM
Pro Rider

G'day guys.

He also tried the air force kit with no luck.

From early january when I first posted this problem,a lot of people including top mechanics have suggested it is just the rev limiter.

I put a tacho on it & the popping came in @ around 6000rpm, proving that it was not the rev limiter.

Put the stock pipe on & it flies all the way to 9000rpm.

I'm wanting to race this bike but only with a truck load of mods.

Polaris may be getting my pred back also unless they come up with a quick fix.

Badchad, thanks alot mate for the help.

Thanks from down under, Geoff.

Old 03-16-2003, 03:24 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hello everyone,
I have put a k&n air filter and a WB slip on silencer on my predator and no popping. I live around 4300ft above sea level and did not have to rejet. The machine runs great. I ran with a CR450F for two laps at a local mx track and we are equally skilled riders. The 450 could not pull the predator.

Quick Reply: He gave back two crappy Preds!!!!!!