Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

whats the purpose of reeds?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2003, 08:41 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default whats the purpose of reeds?

hello, im lookin into a reed kit for my Xplorer 400, typically the boyeson power reeds or the boyeson pro series reeds, how do i do i change to these reeds from my stock ones, will they help me, do i have to rejet or pipe the quad or clutch it in preparation for this procedure, basically i need some info on these items, are they worth the money? and what will they do for me?

Thanks, HAz!

Old 03-28-2003, 09:29 PM
Range Rover

Hello.Are you familiar whith how a two stroke engine works?The reed petals act like the valves do in a four stroke.As the 2 stroke piston travels down,it wants to blow into the carb.The reeds close off and prevents this.If on a 2 stroke,you are getting backfire thru the carb,its time to replace the reeds.The reeds come with different tension built into them.Some are stiff and respond in the mid to upper rpm ranges.Some are firm and work lower in the powerband.They are very easy to change.They fit between the carb and the cylinder.Ive not tried boyeson on my atv.I did try them on my motocross bike.They will respond faster than factory reeds and should wear longer as well.Given you buy carbon fiber reed petals.I myself love the gain in throttle response and overall power from the delta v force reeds.Definately worth the money.

Old 03-28-2003, 11:34 PM
Range Rover

I agree with the throttle responce from the v force reeds though any other mod ie. pipe, clutch kit will
help improve the performance of the reeds.

Old 03-29-2003, 12:07 AM
Pro Rider

I am running the Rad Valve with pro series reeds and they were worth mt money in my opinion. I have heard alot about the V-Force reeds as being dynoed to show more power, but Aaen performance claims the same HP gain (4) from both valve systems. They are very easy to change, just remove the carb, take off the carb to motor intake boot, pull out the factory reed cage and replace with the aftermarket reed cage. The instructions for the Rad Valve say that "The advanced design of the Rad Valve may require changing the main jet as much as 2-4 sizes leaner to achieve optimum performance and top end. The jet needle and clip position seldom need to be changed from the stock settings." If anything just changing the reeds will improve performance and the reeds are alot stronger than stock, so you also get a little extra insurance against breakage. It is your choice to go with petals that replace your stock ones using the stock cage, or to go with the new cage and all. I hope this helps.

Old 03-29-2003, 02:46 AM
Range Rover

yea ok, thanks for the help guys, but what im mainly concerend is, well if i put these reeds in (boyeson Pro series) i wont have to change anything, cuz im not very familiar with changing the jetting, can someone maybe xplain how to do that, dont get me wrong i know my way round my 2 stroke, but im not really familiar with doin engine work pretty much anything else ive done i just dont wanna mess anything up, someone help me out here please!

Thanks,haz!

Old 03-29-2003, 07:58 AM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I put in Boysen Pro Serries reeds I had to retune my carb by lowering the needle a notch but I havent changed the main jet yet but it was cold out when I installed it but now that it has warmed up I need to drop it a size.

Old 03-29-2003, 09:53 AM
Pro Rider

Usually, performance reeds will cause the mix to run a little richer at full throttle. However, a K&N filter or the like will lean out the mix at full throttle. It has been my experience that if you swap the reeds and at the same time you swap to a K&N or UNI filter, the jetting is usually close enough that it isn't worth re-tuning. You might have to drop the needle one notch (easy to do, pop the top off the top of the carb. The needle runs through the piece that slides up and down. You want to move the spring clip UP one notch, to lower the needle down, to let less fuel by.) or at the very most, go one size smaller on the main jet (again easy to do, take the bottom off the carb, and look up into it. The jet will be the part you remove from underneath that the needle runs down into at low throttle settings).
Again, I have had friends who swapped reeds, and at the same time added a K&N and didn't do anything other than that. Their quads ran well. Maybe with some fiddling, they could have gotten better, but it was good enough to not worry about. Richer is better than leaner, anyway, for engine longevity.

Trending Topics

Old 03-29-2003, 01:16 PM
Elite Pro Rider

I've seen same day, same machine, dyno runs. Buy the V-force, if you're gonna spend money, you might as well get a few HP in exchange.

Old 03-29-2003, 05:58 PM
Pro Rider

I agree with Modquad, but I also think that If you are not wanting to spend twice the price for a cage and reeds, you can go with the Boyesen Pro reeds and gain a little, but If you are going to spend the money for the new reed cage, go ahead and get the V-Force. If I had it to do over, I probably would.

Old 03-29-2003, 09:19 PM
Pro Rider

The V-force are a definate upgrade. If you are shy of re-jetting, you might want to shy away from them. They will likely require a re-jet. The people I have seen getting by without a rejet just put new carbon-fiber petals, and a K&N. Just so you would know.

The V-force DO allow almost double the reed area, though.

Farmr

Quick Reply: whats the purpose of reeds?