Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Problem with 02 Sp700

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2003, 11:16 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problem with 02 Sp700

Has anyone had problems with their 700 idling? Mine was fine until just before the winter months, then the problems started.
To best explain what is happening- When you start the machine it starts fine and will idle fine with the choke on until it warms up a bite then as normal it will start run ruff as it gets warmer. If I push the choke off all the way it will quit unless I keep my hand on the throttle.Does the same with the choke on in any position! Now if I keep it running till the engine is up to temp it still will not idle until I turn the ignition of for about 2-3 mins the hit the key and it idles fine. It will do this sometimes when I am riding to,if I stop and turn the machime off and let it sit then start it again it will run fine for awhile
I have done some things such as new plugs,carb and I found the ignition trigger to be gapped wrong !
Nothing has helped.Any suggestions I would appreciate-Thanks

Old 03-30-2003, 12:42 PM
Pro Rider

Is your ETC adjusted right? If it is not right, it will stall the engine.

Old 03-30-2003, 01:01 PM
Trailblazer

Yes the ETC switch is adjusted properly.I have even put a piece of plastic between the contacts just to be 100% sure.

Thanx for the suggestion !

Old 03-30-2003, 01:12 PM
Pro Rider

You probably need to make an air screw adjustment, this is common to do as the weather changes. The air screw, a lean or rich condition will cause the idling to be funny. After it gets warmed up well, flip the choke halfway on and see if it gets better, if it does you are running lean, gets worse rich. Sounds like you have a lean condition to me which will happen as the air cools down. Turn the screw a 1/4 turn at a time and see if things improve. You may also want to check your float levels. Oh take the plastic out of the ETC. If you want to make sure that is not it, simply follow the wires to the terminal board and unplug them. If that was it then either leave them loose or figure out what is causing it. The ETC is a safety feature, so It is in your hands.

Old 03-30-2003, 06:22 PM
Trailblazer

I know that it is not carb adjustment. I adjusted the carb pilot screw and other adjustments such as float level. I have also replaced the carb and did the adjustments. As for the ETC switch I have unplugged it and there is no difference.

What it comes down to is once the engine seems to produce heat the, heat tranfers to something - Possibly something with the ignition, then it starts to run good!

I am about to check and verify the ignition timing.

Old 03-31-2003, 06:20 AM
Trailblazer

My 02 does the same thing I have never fooled around with it mechanically and now after reading the other threads I probably would have wasted my time. I think it may be a Polaris thing because my sons 01 325 Mag does it too. What I do is start them with full choke and and nurse the throttle untill I can put it in half way some times it will stay running sometimes it dosn't it seems to help when I put in low after a little gooseing I'll move real slowly out too my driveway and it will stay running because it builds up a little heat. I only have the problem in the winter. I've had them both too the dealer and they still act up in the cold. I think they make an oil and block heater for them that will cure it (better for the engine to).

Old 03-31-2003, 10:33 AM
Pro Rider

My '02 700 did the same thing exactly the way yours did it. The colder weather brought it out. I turned up the idle just a smidge and it's perfect. Still a little rough when cold, but will still idle better than before.

Old 03-31-2003, 06:35 PM
Pro Rider

When you have it warmed up and running do you get any backfire out of it?

Old 03-31-2003, 06:45 PM
Trailblazer

No mine never back fires only in reverse if I forget to hold the reverse button.

Old 03-31-2003, 06:48 PM
Trailblazer

I'll have to try that, thanks. Now that it's off warranty i'll fool around with it myself.

Quick Reply: Problem with 02 Sp700