Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Dualies

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2003, 09:59 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dualies

Hi Guys,

I need some info. A couple years ago, before the quad mags got me so pissed off due to their brand bias and misinformation that I declined to renew my subscriptions, I saw an ad for “adaptors” to mount extra tires and wheels on a Sportsman. It showed a picture of an SP with 8 tires, dualies front and rear. I’m trying to get a line on where these “adaptors” might be purchased. Does anyone here know?

No, I’m not going to wreck my trail machine with these things. Actually, I have something even more outrageous in mind. Have you ever seen the show Monster Garage? Well, it’s a little like that.

We live in a flood plain and occasionally need a vehicle that “swims” for transportation to and from high ground (I've always wanted to own an island. Now, every now and then, I do!) For 10 years now I’ve owned Max amphibious 6x6s for this purpose, first a ’93 and then a ’97. Both were purchased new and both have been extremely maintenance prone and unreliable, in other words JUNK! Almost 40’ of drive chain and river sand just aren’t compatible. I’m currently exploring the idea of replacing the Max with a 6x6 Polaris Ranger, but I’m going to have to make it able to swim when the need (and the river) arises.

The addition of 6 more tires on the Ranger will double the floatation provided by the tires and cut the psi-to-ground ratio in half, a big advantage in saturated unstable river sand. The tires alone aren’t going to be enough to float this 1400# machine (that’s without passengers) so I’m also considering trying to add some sort of easily removable pontoon system, maybe salvaged off a scrapped Hobie Cat or made from several large diameter PVC pipes lashed together with the ends capped. The “extra” flotation would be on a framework that would attach easily to the undercarriage of the Ranger and would be positioned on both sides of and outside of the wheels, sort of like outriggers. Propulsion would come from the tires spinning in the water, just like the Max, so the addition of six more tires would be a real plus in that regard too.

I realize this sounds kind’a crazy, but you have to be a little crazy to live where I do. It also helps to be adventurous and inventive, and that’s what I’m trying to accomplish here. It’s just an idea on the drawing board right now but who knows, I may end up with the first amphibious Polaris. In addition to a source for the dualie adaptors, I’d be interested in any thoughts you guys may have on the idea. Thanks!

Old 03-30-2003, 10:35 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Default Dualies

I have a picture of a scrambler with 8 tires. I dont remember where I got it. If you do make the godzilla ranger, I would definately love to see a picture of it!!!

Old 03-31-2003, 01:25 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Dualies

I would like to see that also. I would bet you will find someone that will get you to the right place to get those adapters here. good luck. sounds very fun.

Old 03-31-2003, 07:48 AM
Pro Rider
Default Dualies

If I build this "thing" there'll be pictures, you can count on it!