Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

new polar owner, help

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2003, 10:03 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new polar owner, help

First of all, I just bought a 1999 scrambler 500 4x4.. Does anyone know anything about this machine?????? It was sitting for 8 months in a shed and will not start, also the starter works but the gear between the starter and the flywheel will not advance onto the flywheel when I push the starter button. And my final question is what is the black butterfly switch on the dash that has a picture of a fan or blade???any comments are greatly appreciated..........thanks[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]

Old 03-31-2003, 11:16 PM
Elite Pro Rider

That switch is the choke. If it wont start and has been sitting, the gas could be bad and your carb may need to be cleaned. I would suggest getting a service manual, preferably a polaris manual over the Clymer. The polaris manual has a lot more information. It will make doing repairs SO much easier. Try Here

Old 03-31-2003, 11:41 PM
Pro Rider

Does the starter spin or just click? You will probalby have to take it off if it just spins, and see whats happening in there. Try pull starting it and see how it runs. You might end up fixing those things with a little use. You say you bought it, but ride it like you stole it!

Old 04-01-2003, 03:35 AM
Pro Rider

I know that I had a problem with my 400 Scrambler starting, and it was just as simple as the battery. The lights and everything seemed to be working just fine, but the starter just needed a little bit more. Also, the Scrams are known to have the starts go out, if you are in the water alot (or the machine was b4 you bought it). If you haven't replaced the battery, I would start there. Also, like someone said, replace the gas in it. Should be realatively easy, turn off the gas, disconnect the hose, run another hose off the valve and drain the tank. Good for starting fires in the back yard!

Old 04-01-2003, 01:40 PM
Pro Rider

Also, be sure to drain the gas in the carb. There is a little screw at the bottom, right above the drain hose. Loosen that a turn or two, and the carb will drain. Put fresh gas in the tank (after draining the old out) and try it. Your starter problems may be due to a weak battery, or the starter itself. You actually can boost these things off your car or truck, as they are 12 volt systems. If the starter still won't grab even though you are sure you are getting full power to it, most likely the starter bendix is rusted. The only solution is to take it out, clean it up, and re-grease it. Polaris has had problems with the starter bendix rusting on older models, and now makes a special moisture resistant grease, just for that purpose. If you need help working on the starter, just reply back, there are lots of guys here that can help.

Farmr

Old 04-01-2003, 10:21 PM
Weekend Warrior

thanks for the help. I put a new starter gear on it today and the starter works great. Now another problem= the flywheel spins free, the pin that holds the flywheel on sheered up and ruined the flywheel. Cant imagine how much this will cost????? Hope I get to ride it soon, it sure looks good though.. lol Anyway, did all the above suggestions and it just backfired.. I think i need to rebuild the carb.. I keep plugging........................glad I got it cheap

Old 04-01-2003, 10:26 PM
Weekend Warrior

awsome looking bike

Old 04-01-2003, 10:57 PM
Pro Rider

If the flywheel key has sheared, and the flywheel spun on the shaft, the engine will not run properly, if at all. Get that taken care of, and some of your other troubles may go away.

Farmr