Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Hay you drag racers

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2003, 05:57 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hay you drag racers

I noticed a few people sand drag their Predator. I have to opertunity to pull with my, being sponsored and everything, but I have to set it up myself. My friend pulled a couple times last year with his 400ex, and had all kinds of trouble finding the right place to hook up to the sled, either he was pulling the front wheels right off the ground or he was just spinning (too low or too high). Anyone have any idea where the sweet spot would be to hook the sled up to my quad? It's a 1500lb sled. It's kind of cool cause the sponsor is paying all the enterance fees, and any winnings are mine. Sounds like a fair deal to me! And if there is anyone that does do pulling, please, any advice would be great!

Trevor

Old 04-03-2003, 07:09 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hay you drag racers

There's all kinds of neat tricks. First all, gear the pred down, you need some low power. Also, I would custom design a hitch similar to what goes on the back of a scrambler, and hitch height can usually be 12" max height I think, so put a rise on the hitch. Maybe take off your rear bumper and design a horizontal bar so you can add gym weights to the back (or front) for added ballast...get the weight right up to the limit. Since the pred is a 2x4, get the weight as far back as you can, if you're pulling you won't flip it if you are tied low enough to the sled. Another neat trick is to make the rear shock as stiff as possible, or even replace it with a solid steel rod...gets the weight and power to the tires, you don't want the suspension taking that away from you. Get a good 6ply tire with lots of forward bite and run real low air pressure, like 1 psi!! Maybe even add bead lock rims! Check the rules if you make a weight bracket, cuase weights can only stick out so far past the machine. That's all I can think of right now. Make it so you can add weights quickly when you show up at the scale, run weights right up to the class limit!!