Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Question For Scrambler/Trail Blazer 400 Owners - BLOWN - NO COMPRESSION!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2003, 09:37 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question For Scrambler/Trail Blazer 400 Owners - BLOWN - NO COMPRESSION!!

i can't understand your point on the "knocking" sound you're talking about but,on a automatic and especially like the 2 stroke scrambler,anytime you get the engine modded (pipe,head,reed...)make some spark plug test,on atomatic is is at what throttle opening depend of the jetting...for example:a plug test at mid-opening throttle (midrange pull)
will determine jetting at that exact rpm of the engine,be sure to not
"re-pull" the trigger before switching the ignition off to get more accurate writings on the plug...

Old 04-14-2003, 10:03 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Default Question For Scrambler/Trail Blazer 400 Owners - BLOWN - NO COMPRESSION!!

I recommend staying away from the Wiseco piston for durability and reliability reasons.....shave the head some and use an OE replacement (if a higher quality piston is not available...IE JE, ROSS) if you want too ride and not work on it.

Old 04-14-2003, 01:19 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry Gary, I hate to disagree, but for the Polaris the wiseco is the best way to go. Very careful attention must be made to insure the absolute minimum clearance is .003 or else it will cold sieze. With all that was done to the bike the oil injection needed to be removed for the ultimate in reliability. We all know Rhonda is going to ride the pi$$ out of it.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 04-14-2003, 02:45 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Bubba297
Sorry Gary, I hate to disagree, but for the Polaris the wiseco is the best way to go.
If it's true...thats a shame.

Old 04-14-2003, 09:37 PM
Pro Rider

This is what the plug looks like that I pulled out after it let go.

I got this information off the Trinity Web Page. This is exactly the
condition that we were having. Oh well, it will be better now and I will be a little
more knowledgeable because of it.

Detonation is caused by the air/fuel mixture exploding rather then
burning. This gives off a sound, (a knock) this sound is the result of a shock
wave, this wave disrupts the boundary layer of cooler gases that cover the
internal parts of the combustion chamber. This causes a very rapid rise
in pressure and temperature. The results are holes in the top or sides of
the pistons, blown head gaskets, broken rods, (all bad stuff) This can also
shock the rings from there seal causing oil to form as little spots on the porcelain.

Old 04-14-2003, 10:04 PM
Pro Rider

So, what was causing the detonation? Incorrect Plug or Fuel or something else? Here is a great article on detonation with some pictures. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] detonation

Old 04-14-2003, 10:08 PM
Pro Rider

I suppose I was refering to the "knocking" sound.

What do you think of the pictures of the plug??

Old 04-14-2003, 10:13 PM
Pro Rider

From what I have been hearing, I am leaning towards a lean condition due to jetting. I am taking it to the dealer tomorrow and we are going to tear it down. He said that he would take care of it for us, so that's good. He said that it would run using Premium Pump Gas.

The Oil injector is still being used too.

What are you fealings about the oil injection system on a higher performance built bike??

Old 04-14-2003, 10:53 PM
Pro Rider

well, that plug looks a little lean. if you had a hole in your piston it would cover the plug with oil. Did you check the oil??

Old 04-14-2003, 10:57 PM
Pro Rider

It had oil in the resevour up front and had went down about an inch by the 3rd. tank of gas..........which the dealer said sounded about right.

Quick Reply: Question For Scrambler/Trail Blazer 400 Owners - BLOWN - NO COMPRESSION!!