Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Predator ball joints

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2003, 12:29 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Predator ball joints

was just out riding and noticed the right side upper ball joint was pertty much floating. are they serviceable by myself or is a dealer thing. And is this covered under warrenty. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]

Old 04-07-2003, 12:43 AM
Pro Rider

I've got an upper ball joint on mine thats loose too. I'm going call my dealer tuesday(thier closed on mondays) about it. I would think that it should be covered under warrenty. I don't know if you can press in a new ball joint or if you have to replace the whole upper A-Arm. I've also got some play in the upper A-Arm bushing at the frame mounting point. Each is on opposite sides.

Old 04-07-2003, 12:10 PM
Pro Rider

Mine had the same problem. The tie rod ends and the ball joints on the earlier produced models were defective. Polaris is aware of the problem. I went to my dealer and he replaced all the ends and ball joints. It's not an actuall recall, but you should have no problem.

Scott

Old 04-07-2003, 12:22 PM
Trailblazer

I have lose upper ball joints on my predator the left side seems a little looser then the right. My dealer service dept. told me that polaris said that they are going to be a little loose so, that this type of suspension doesn't bind up. Did my dealer give me a line of bull?

Old 04-07-2003, 12:28 PM
Pro Rider

Do you have any play in the handlebars? I have none. If you do, I'd say he is full of it.

Old 04-07-2003, 12:31 PM
Trailblazer

Hey Scott,

What is your quad's birthdate? I have an earlier built (12/04/02) Predator, and although I haven't got any loose ball joints or A-Arm mounts, yet, I am worried it could start just after my 6-month warranty is gone. I ride mostly in soft sand, maybe that's the difference.

I just checked all my front end and lubed the joints yesterday when I was removing the front brake anti-squeal shims from the pads (WHAT A HUGE DIFFERENCE---ALMOST NO DRAG NOW!). All my ball joints and rod ends seem to be tight and o.k. However, I did notice the joints all needed to be lubed. Each front end lube fitting held quite a few "pumps" worth of lube before they were filled.

Maybe these bushings need more frequent lubes to stay in good shape, or maybe they were just lightly filled by the factory. It was very good to hear that the factory was willing to replace the bad joints.

Take Care,

JJ

Old 04-07-2003, 12:39 PM
Pro Rider

Mine was "born" on 24OCT02.

I would think that unless you had the defective ones to start with, you shouldn't have a problem. Mine deteriorated very quickly. I actually have less than 20 hours on it. It was as if there were no ball joints on it, the steering was so loose. Good luck.

Scott

Old 04-07-2003, 05:17 PM
Weekend Warrior

Called my dealer today and they said they would replace them under warrenty. I know they are supposed to be a little loose but are they suppose to be leaking grease all the time? Why didn't they put grease fittings on them so the owner can service them ourselfs. My problem is that the closes dealer is 770 miles away, talk about down time.

Old 04-07-2003, 06:02 PM
Pro Rider

Predator03, How did you get your born date? How do you read the vin#, ?

Old 04-07-2003, 06:22 PM
Pro Rider

theres a sticker up front on the frame under the front cowl area look there you will see it mfc date and vin

Quick Reply: Predator ball joints