Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

predator loses 3rd gear.

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2003, 12:18 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default predator loses 3rd gear.

my buddies predator lost 3rd gear,anyone else have this problem?

Old 04-09-2003, 12:25 AM
Pro Rider

What? Another Pred loses a gear?? This story is getting a little to frequent for me. Come on Polaris, lets see a little more R&D and maybe a recall. Not trashing polaris here, I love my pred. But I'm gonna be pi-issed if I lose a race this summer because 1 bolt jiggles out outta my tranny and strands me in the woods!!

Old 04-09-2003, 01:29 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Bummer, i have been thinking of getting rid of 1 rappy and adding another quad to the stable. I hope this does not become a trend. I plan on seeing sp700 this year to see how his predator runs. Then i am going to decide what quad to buy. Hopefully the tranny will not become a issue on the polaris like the rappy.

Old 04-09-2003, 03:11 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Let's see what's it been 3 machines out of how many thousand. I'll eat crow if it gets worse, but when you realize how many people this net ties together....that's a whole lot "o" machines.

Old 04-09-2003, 09:35 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah I have to agree. Less than a handful out of thousands is very acceptable. The Rappy problems were in the extreme. Hopefully it wont become an issue, but you are dealing with first year production. I never buy first year new anything. Bubba

Old 04-09-2003, 10:25 AM
Elite Pro Rider

No doubt it is concerning that Predators are already loosing gears with such low hours on them. I hope Polaris takes care of it's Predator customers. After being bit by the first year bug with my Raptor, I will not buy a first year anything.

Old 04-09-2003, 11:30 AM
Pro Rider

should I go register www.predatortranny.com now?

J/K guys. its early yet

Old 04-09-2003, 11:35 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Originally posted by: warrior007
should I go register www.predatortranny.com now? J/K guys. its early yet
LOL.....I sure hope thats not necessary.

Old 04-09-2003, 12:31 PM
Trailblazer

Hi Everyone,

Seems like the only thing that hasn't been addressed is how the Predator in question was ridden. I have seen trans failures of all type in all kinds of dirt machines over the years. In many cases I know of, the PRIMARY cause was the way in which the rider chose to drive his machine.

The stock tranny's on most of these type machines are not really set up for constant, or near constant power shifting. If that is the type of riding that is done, shift dogs need to be modified and strengthened, oil passages on the gearset may need modification, and sometimes, the entire gearset might need to be strengthened by use of stronger metals, or different heat treatments to the stock metal. I certainly do accept that there have been some exceptions to the norm, such as the poor owners of Raptors, who probably do have a legitimate class action legal issue with Yamaha, since Yamaha has chosen to ignore the problem.

I read posts on a lot of forums, from all type of riders. Many of them describe their crashes, which would "wow" an army of stuntmen, and then wonder if the factory is going to warranty the breakage.

I believe we should wait a bit and see what's up with this tranny issue. I personally have never had any trans issues, but then I don't powershift alot, either. I would much rather push Polaris about the other issues that they have known about and chosen not to acknowledge, such as dragging front brakes, and poor quality CDI boxes.

Just my opinion, and anyway, time will tell....Good luck.... to us all

Take Care,

JJ

Old 04-09-2003, 03:20 PM
Pro Rider

It's not going to be a big problem, JJ you are correct in your opinion in the way we ride is affecting the trans problem. Shift forks in the Predator are a little weak for power shifting and drag racing. Speed shifting creates high oil pressure in the trans and is putting to much force on the forks. Mods to correct these problems are under way as we speak. It's not going to be a big deal, some minor mods and everything will be ok for racing. A trans with special coated gears and some mods is almost ready for all out racing, to handle the high horsepower big bore Predators running Nitrous. You can power shift it with no clutch and you want believe how smooth it shifts. Like I said, it's no big problem. Gary @ The Superbike Shop has it covered.

Quick Reply: predator loses 3rd gear.