Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Bleeding the oil pump

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2003, 10:41 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bleeding the oil pump

I was bleeding the oil pump and can't get any oil to come out of the banjo fitting going into the carb. I have bled the thing 3 or 4 times. I think the problem is from the oil pump to the carb. I moved the reel to the full open position and nothing. I'm thinking that it has to be either a blocked line or the pump. Any other thoughts? I'm running pre-mix oil/gas since I've just had a re-build. I was just checking to make sure that I was getting oil. Good thing I did. Oil vent line is good, no kinks in oil lines so it has to be the pump or a clogged line. Could the oil have hardened in the lines while waiting to have the re-build done? Three months or so. Any replys appreciated. Shawn.

Old 04-12-2003, 10:59 PM
Elite Pro Rider

There's a filter on the left side of the fuel tank, right by the fuel filter.

Old 04-12-2003, 11:21 PM
Pro Rider

Modquad, I thought I recognized that quad with the custom shifter. I enjoyed reading your article that was featured in atv sport, dec 2001. I saved that article and keep a book of all the scrambler mods so I can always reference different ideas. You did a great job on your quad! Hope it gives you good times back.

---------------------------------------
2002 SCRAMBLER-X 500 2x4,
dg xcellerator exhaust system,
HPD airbox cover & jet kit,
K&N filter, Heelclicker clutch kit,
H/L water temp gauge, HSP
chain tensioner, Radlites

Old 04-12-2003, 11:25 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Aw shucks. thanks. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] Them there magazine folks have been really fun to work with don'tcha know. Speakin' Minnesotan out of one end, farting out of the other, all the while swatting Mosquitos....now that's talent. hehe

Old 04-13-2003, 12:21 AM
Pro Rider

I would also check the check valve in the banjo fitting, the way to do this is to disconnect the line from the pump. Attach a pressure/vacuum pump to the line fitting on the check valve, apply pressure, not vacuum, to the check valve. It should open at 2-5 psi, if not trash it and get a new one. Also, did you check the oil tank vent hose, make sure it is not clogged or pinched?? If the filter is good and all the above, then the pump is bad.

Old 04-13-2003, 08:41 AM
Pro Rider

I replaced the filter when I put the motor back in. But isn't the filter on the tank side of the pump cause I can bleed it with the nut a turn out then let oil drain out for 5 to 10 secs like the book says no prob. but just getting oil to the carb I can't. The vent hose is good and not clogged. I'll check the check valve on monday. I'm running pre-mix in the tank so I think that I'll be okay riding today. Thanks for your replys. Shawn.

Old 04-13-2003, 02:09 PM
Elite Pro Rider

All the better reason to ixnay that 11 lbs of oil injection tank from the front of your machine and run pre-mix all the time....you will notice a difference. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 04-13-2003, 11:29 PM
Pro Rider

I have seen a few cases where the pump drive gear failed on the injector pump.

Just another possibility.

Farmr

Old 04-13-2003, 11:45 PM
Pro Rider

I was going to do the oil elimination block off kit and Rick Ritter told me that I needed a new 40.00 cable (ouch!). Is this really needed? I would do the 20.00 block off kit but to add another 40 on to it.?

Old 04-14-2003, 01:18 AM
Elite Pro Rider

To be safe, Rick is correct. I do know of people who have just secured the oil pump cable up and out of the way. All one cable, it just "y"s. You didn't hear this idea from me. At your own risk.

Quick Reply: Bleeding the oil pump