Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Oil Injection - To Block Off or Not To Block Off....That is the question

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2003, 10:37 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Injection - To Block Off or Not To Block Off....That is the question

I am considering strongly removing the oil injection system on our 2001 Scrambler 400.................What are the Pro's and Con's in your oppinion. Is it a weak link in the system just waiting to melt down the engine??

Old 04-14-2003, 10:40 PM
Pro Rider
Default Oil Injection - To Block Off or Not To Block Off....That is the question

Kinks are well worked out but theres always a possibility. It will save u some weight. Only con is having to premix. But find the right ratio and ur set. Other wise its not that big of a deal. Just a small hassle.

Old 04-14-2003, 10:43 PM
Pro Rider

Eliminate the possible weak link. Get a ratio cup and mix it yourself. And label your gas jug so you never put unmixed fuel in the quad.

Old 04-14-2003, 10:45 PM
Pro Rider

I agree with those two but be ready to re-jet after doing so because the oil will displace some gas and cause the motor to run lean.

Old 04-14-2003, 10:46 PM
Pro Rider

Is 40-1 a good mixture to go with??

Old 04-14-2003, 10:58 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

The reason you have the oil injection is to get the right amount of oil at every throttle position. The oil injection is very reliable. It has been around for years. I cant see why people would even mess with taking it off. Just a hastle I would think. If you take the injection off you are more likely to foul the plugs alot quicker. And it really dont save much weight. Not enough to make any difference. What 2 qts of oil,a plastic tank and a small injection assembly. HMM maybe about 5-6 lbs. If you mix 40-1 on the mix then at low throttle you are getting a 40-1 mix that can foul plugs easily. Then at full throttle you are still getting 40-1 mix and that may be to little. Who really knows what is the right amount. Thats what the injection does. It gives the right amount at every position. So why mess with it? I see to many cons to remove it. Anything can stop working at any time. And more than likely it will never go bad. But if you premix then you are messing with something that can be an even bigger problem. I cant say it is not bad for all bikes. If you race your bike then your open throttle 75 percent of the time and they change plugs all the time. But if you trail ride or just like to cruise around, premix will foul the plug alot more then the injection. I know there will be alot of opinions about this but if it is not broke then dont fix it. It is more likely that the injection will last the lifetime of the quad. I ride with guys that have 10 plus years old quads with injection and not one of them has ever had a problem. If it is not an all out race quad then I would not do it.

Old 04-14-2003, 11:12 PM
Pro Rider

I agree with you some there 2many, I still have my injection and I love it, but I have been contemplating the decision alot myself lately. You save 11 lbs, by removing the system, but that is not my concern. My concern is that I have spent all of this money and time in building my motor and If I can reduce the chance of blowing it up even by doing one thing, It may be worth it to me?? Not sure yet. Anyway... Jetting does have to be altered alot because of what you said 2many, with pre-mix you have the same constant oil ratio at all times and therefore you have to re-jet accordingly which may mean leaning out the bottom end to avoid fouling. I see your point, but look at this example. I cannot run ETC on my Scrambler because I cannot adjust my throttle enough with ETC working to get my slide to clear the venturi of my carb. All I did and all you are doing by removing the oil is making things simpler in a sense to have less problems down the road, just in case. Just preventive measures to protect your investment. My ETC was working fine and probably never would have torn up, but without it, now I have full throttle pull on my cable. That is not really a good example, but maybe you can see why people do it? Just In Case...

Old 04-14-2003, 11:50 PM
Pro Rider

you adjust your jetting with the jet, slide, needle, and mixture screw. not the oil injector. yes your gas/oil mix plays a part. you can also foul a plug by lugging a motor. mix it yourself and jet correctly. maybe an automatic is different. if so, why?

Old 04-15-2003, 12:09 AM
Elite Pro Rider

My 99 modded 400 motor has never fouled a plug. Pre-mix at 40:1, and check your plug color in all ranges to establish correct jetting for your environment. Loosing that 11 lbs off it's highly mounted center of gravity provides instant handling improvements. The injection system is reliable, but a little attention to detail can gain you quite a bit of performance handling improvements, for not much money. Good old Polaris blue non-synthetic works great.

Old 04-15-2003, 12:21 AM
Pro Rider

It sounds like the block of plate is the way to go. It is $20.00 on the hotseat web sight.

Quick Reply: Oil Injection - To Block Off or Not To Block Off....That is the question