Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

air force kit a joke

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2003, 09:46 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default air force kit a joke

Aussie, I will use any product that works, reguardless of who makes it. I just happen to have had the privilage of watching some dyno testing on this subject. I seen the dyno numbers, stock, several different versions of airbox mods including the Rath 2 x 3 hole and uni-vents, and the Airforce kit. So for someone to say the Airforce kit is a joke, deserve's a proper response. There is a big increase over other airbox mods, and the fact Gary will not disclose the jets so everybody else can copy his kit is just business. But people should not degrade any company without knowing facts and making sure it's the company's fault. I see people critisizing company's engine kits all the time, but they install them or have the local back yard mechanic do it for them, then when it grenade's they automatically blame the company. Thats not fair to any company who depends on our business to survive. They are company's who are out to take our money, if Superbikeshop turns out to be one I will be the first to post it. and Apologize to everyone for promoting them. But so far the results I have seen do not lead in that direction. I have watched yours and Rob's post on your popping issue's, seems Rob cured his with a couple of Raptor's, interesting to see what yours turns out to be.

Old 04-20-2003, 10:12 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: 99blueblaster
I have heard several comments about Gary or things he says that make me think he is not all that great of a business man. First jetting, why will he not tell anyone what size of jets to use, this makes it impossible to rejet at different altitudes, second he told people to run the K&N filter dry for more horse power big mistake in dusty conditions, I have heard that Polaris or Rath is no longer doing business with him , and finally many may remember reading that JCAL had his motor lock up, many people were calling it another transmission failure , why hasnt JCAL posted the real problem, what happened was a nut came loose off of the AF kit on the top of the lid and cuased major motor damage, why hasnt he posted this here? I read on another forum that JCAL was pissed at the dealer for not fixing the motor under warranty and Gary called the dealer dicks and told him to just send the motor to him. That is not good business. The dealer should not file it under warranty neither should Gary.
if you look at my post it was friday or so. i went away to vegas for a bachaler party, if you must know. yes it is true the nut came off and got lodged between the exhaust valve and the seat, causing it to lock up. and i was pissed at the dealer because when you hand him over cash and buy a five year warranty that "covers everything" i thought he would be able to cover it even though it was my fault. but they are an honest dealer and thats their thing so ok. no gary didn't call them dicks for that it was they wouldn't get my bike back till the middle of august. and the reason i'm sending my motor to gary is because he has the parts in stock and i'll have it back in 2-3 weeks. so 4 months maybe or 2-3 weeks?? what would you do?i didn't know you had to explain everything or write as soon as you get home, sorry for taking so long

Old 04-20-2003, 10:23 PM
Pro Rider

G'day JJ.
As of a week ago they were not ready to be shipped.
A friend of mine has been doing the testing for them,I dont think it will be the panacia for my problems, but I hope I'm wrong.
As he had no popping problems with his, I'm going to try his original cdi, then the vortex.
My mechanic is coming out to do field testing on wednesday,lot's of jet's to try.
Any suggestions.
Maybe a caramel filled easter egg stuffed into the quiet core[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Geoff.

Old 04-20-2003, 11:45 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Hey Geoff, there's another company in the works, but please keep us posted on the Vortec progress, thanks in advance.

Old 04-20-2003, 11:48 PM
Pro Rider

who else is working on one becides vortex?

Old 04-20-2003, 11:54 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Jcal, don't mean to be a tease, but the winds of change are blowing. a couple of countdowns have begun, I'll post as soon as they let me.

Old 04-21-2003, 01:18 AM
Trailblazer

Hi everyone,

I spoke with the folks at Dyna a few weeks ago, and they told me they were working on a CDI box for "some big Polaris outfit" in the midwest. They did not say who, and when I asked if they were doing one for the Predator, he was not sure. Later in the conversation he checked some more paperwork, and then told me they would have a Predator CDI in a few months.

So, thus far, I have discovered the possibles are Dyna, maybe HPD or Hot Seat, and for sure Vortex. I hope that the Vortex unit, which I plan to get, will be good investment. Modquad usually has some good inside scoop, hints, and a few teases from HPD, so it's possible they will be out with it real soon. DOH!!!, maybe that's who Dyna was referring to when they said "some big Polaris outfit!"

Anyway, Geoff, I hope your replacement stock CDI will work for you, and give you at least the 8,000 rpm point to go to. As far as the jetting for the AirForce kit, I'm not sure where to go with that, but I think I would start at about a 170 sized main, and for sure a #50 pilot jet, which I think is what comes with the A/F kit. You're at sea level and the same temps as me, so I think that would be a good starting point. Use about 8 discs and the quiet core at the end of the W/B can, if you still have the W/B unit. Send a PM to Tres, he has the A/F kit installed and told me it was running pretty good, but just a bit rich. Keep us posted...

Good night all

JJ

Old 04-21-2003, 01:46 AM
RIP Dear Friend

Originally posted by: jcal
who else is working on one becides vortex?
Very interesting

Old 04-21-2003, 03:28 AM
Elite Pro Rider

One idea, if there's such a mystery about the Airforce kit, those who have them just measure the jet hole size, and map out the measurments of the needle taper. Jetting is no mystery, just different holes, and things to plug them with.

Old 04-21-2003, 10:05 AM
Trailblazer

My airforce kit only came with one jet when i told gary were i ride he said thats all I will need.And I also did not like put bolts&nuts were they could fall in to the motor ,All I am say is that you could do the same thing for a lot cheaper.Mine does not pop at all with a 160m and when I call superbike shop about the sand getting past my filter "did not happen when stock" they said ya we heard this you should get anther stock air box when riding in bad conditons.So I guess with the airforce kit I can only ride on the street with no dust.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: air force kit a joke