Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Air Filter

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2003, 12:04 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air Filter

What would be the best after market air filter for my Trailblazer 400? I was thinking of getting a K&N but I have read that they have let some small dust into the carb. Is the UNI Air filter a better choice?

Old 04-26-2003, 12:07 PM
Pro Rider
Default Air Filter

You will get alot of differences in opinion on that one, I have used K&N, UNI, and Twin Air. I liked the UNI and Twin Air filters the best and fell that they filter better than K&N does.

Old 04-26-2003, 12:11 PM
Range Rover
Default Air Filter

A properly oiled k@n is the best IMO.

03 PRED
W/B slip on
39 tooth rear sprocket(black)
PRM radiator scoops
shock covers(black)
22x11x10 9 paddle extreme hauler
GBC sharkfin fronts

Old 04-26-2003, 12:19 PM
Trailblazer
Default Air Filter

One other thing is that my dealer told me that the K&N won't void the warranty because Polaris cross references it with their filters?

On the K&N how often to do you have to oil the filter?

Old 04-26-2003, 12:38 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Default Air Filter

Like the others stated, they're all good. Depending on your riding conditions, keep an eye on the filter, and when it doubt service it. Cheap insurance. other than buying the K&N cleaner, you can use a gallon ice cream pail with simple Green, or 409. Keep the lid for the pail, when not in use, keep it covered. You can get quite a few cleanings this way. You can periodically skim the oil off the top with a paper towel. Also there are some $40 3.5 gallon parts-washers out there, you can keep one just for air filters.

Old 04-26-2003, 01:08 PM
Range Rover
Default Air Filter

I clean mine after every "dusty" ride. I have 2 of them so when first one is drying I use the second. For cleaning I just drop mine in the sink with soapy hot water and let it soak for a while. Then I rinse it with hot water and let it dry over night. After its dry I apply K@N oil lightly to both sides.

03 PRED
W/B slip on
39 tooth rear sprocket(black)
PRM radiator scoops
shock covers(balck)
22x11x10 9 paddle exreme haulers
GBC shark fin fronts

Old 04-26-2003, 04:41 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Default Air Filter

That's a great routine. You can even ziploc bag them and take your spare along on trips...just in case, gotta get a spare, thanks. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 04-26-2003, 06:41 PM
Trailblazer
Default Air Filter

I have had very good luck with K&N, every vehicle I own has a K&N in it. I have never used a Uni or twin air but I believe the K&N is a better product. The K&N uses cotton as filter material and coats it in oil, and I think the others are foam and you cover in oil and squeeze out the excess(I think). Thats how my factory RM125 air filter was and it worked fine. If you go with a K&N get an outerwear for it, I think they are about $14 and come in different colors and greatly increase time between cleanings(especially in sandy and dusty conditions). The two filter idea is great if you have the bling bling. If the Uni and twin Air are the type I described above you clean them with gas then oil and squeeze and its done, but over time you will need to replace it as the gas will damage it eventually(but workes the best for cleaning). The K&N is good for a million miles, guarenteed! Just my opinion, except for the million mile part thats a fact.

Old 04-26-2003, 07:00 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Default Air Filter

And remember some of the outerwares are also water repellent.

Old 04-26-2003, 07:19 PM
Trailblazer
Default Air Filter

added bonus, I forgot about that!

Quick Reply: Air Filter