Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Polaris spares for a day of riding?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2003, 02:35 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Polaris spares for a day of riding?

So if your going to haul your Polaris across state for a day or two of riding. What are some must have spares you should bring along? The sort of failures that can really bone up your day and you can replace or repair in a few mintures or even a couple hours to get your machine back on the trail.

So far, I'm thinking of a hand winch (boat winch) to load the ATV back in my truck if the motor or drivetrain is inoperable, an extra air filter, some oil, spark plugs, maybe a fuel filter.....stuff like that.

I'm sure there are others, what do you guys take?

WolverineX

Old 04-26-2003, 03:12 PM
Range Rover

Take a ratchet strap, this one item has brought back many broken ATV....I have used it to fix broken shocks-A-arms to et me back to the truck.....riding the wounded ATV..it also can be used as a tow strap.

Also Slime your tires to prevent flat's or the CO2 refill kit to fix a flat......Most dealers or places that fix damaged or to replace worn tires hate slime filled tires as it makes a mess dismounting them......

Don't forget a First Aid Kit!!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 04-26-2003, 06:11 PM
Weekend Warrior

For your Polaris I would also take a spare clutch belt (assuming your not riding a Predator). It brought my riding day to a halt when it broke. And it would have been a snap to replace if I would have had a spare. Good Luck!

Old 04-26-2003, 11:33 PM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I take both my bikes! Along with a spare belt,chain(and masterlink),rear hub,plugs,oil ,carb cleaner, tools and a 6 pack for the end of the ride.

Old 04-27-2003, 12:15 AM
Pro Rider

This is what I take if I'm riding longer than a day.
The first list is what I take but leave it at camp.
1. CV boot kits, one the the front outer and one for the rear outer. Plus the tools to do the job.
2. Spare water pump seal, gaskets etc. Plus the special tool for removal and installation.
3. A good selection of tools.
4. Extra oil.
5. Extra transmission fluid.
6. Extra engine coolant, enough for a complete drain and refill.
7. Grease.
In the quad:
1. Spare belt.
2. Spare spark plug.
3. Tire plug kit.
4. Small 12 vdc compressor.
5. Chain saw.
6. The P tool kit plus some extras.
7. Multipurpose pliers
8. Voltage tester.
9. Wiring schematic.
10. 50' 1/2" rope.
11. 50' 1/4" rope.
12. Come-a-long.
13. ******-block.
14. Spare gas.
Well I think that's about it.

Old 04-27-2003, 02:40 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Traildog, your the kind of guy we would like to take along with us![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 04-27-2003, 02:59 AM
Pro Rider

I've had a few break downs which ended my ride so I'm now prepared. Also when hunting I'm offten on my own so I have to be ready to take care of myself.

Old 04-27-2003, 10:18 AM
Range Rover

Man you guy's take the whole garage!- It would be good to prepair for almost anything, but maintainace is the key, It would not bother me to take my Xplorer / Gas / Oil and I'm set for a week of riding. The tools I carry in my elite, but compact tool kit is all I would honestly carry.

When we go Elk hunting for a week, I sure don't bring along another belt!,,,,we are not turning 8,000 RPM with these ATVs

WolverineX- you cannot take everything with you, I would take what you feel comfortable in replacing. No sense woring about riding, as you stated it is only a 2 day ride, and that will tell the maintainance and how well you have taken care of you ATV.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 04-27-2003, 12:16 PM
Pro Rider

yeah proper maintenanice and you would never have to worry about any of those things, i wrouldn't be afarid to ride down in the boonedocks by myself for a week, long as i have extra gas

Old 04-27-2003, 02:11 PM
Pro Rider

Poor maintenance!
On the contrary, I do all the required maintenance plus more. My quad is washed and greased after every ride and the oil and filter is replaced regularly. Worn parts are replaced before they break, all to reduce the risk of breakdowns.
Maybe I should explain the reason for carrying spare parts like CV boots and a water pump seal. The terrain we ride in is very muddy. Unfortunately there are some rocks mixed in with the mud and there lies the problem. When your stuck or close too it your wheels are spinning churning up the mud and the rocks and on 2 occasions a rock, of just the right size and shape, lodges in the lower part of the rear A frame directly under the CV boot. Not knowing the rock is there it then chews up the boot ending your ride.
I've had 2 sportsman's 500s one a 98 and this one is an 01, also my buddy has an 01 too. With all 3 machines we've had water pump seal failures which have ended our rides. I have found the cause of the seal failures and I have corrected the situation but I have decided not to get caught again so I carry a new seal.
As you can see none of this is caused by poor maintenance.
Hope this clears it up.

Quick Reply: Polaris spares for a day of riding?