Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Goodyear Mudrunners on stock wheels

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2000, 09:17 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After a recent trip out to Fun Wheeler park in east Texas, I have the desire for better mud tires. Ive looked into getting ITP Big Wheel kit so I can change back to stock tires and wheels if I want to. The problem is I just cant justify that much money for someting that will only get used on occasion.
So now Im wondering about the 26" Mudrunners. I think they offer size that will fit on stock wheels. Will this give me the best of both worlds?

Here are my questions about the Goodyear Mudrunners....

How will 26" tires affect handling? Feel more "tippy"?
Will there be any clearance problems? Im mainly concerned about front tire width.9"instead of 8"
How good are they on hardpack, rocky creek beds,etc?

thanks for any input

Old 04-30-2000, 01:32 AM
Pro Rider

I just installed the same ones on my Xplorer400. They fit on stock rims. The bike feels a lot less tippy since installed. They are wider. Up front I added rubber spacers in the springs. Only in really hard "holes" or ruts do the front tires rub the fenders a bit. The rears only rub on a jump or when a passenger is on the back so I stiffened the spring. Steering is 10x easier and ride on hardpacked is great. Mud is great and crawling around is good too. I also tested them on rocky creek beds and they go great!

I have no complaints. I only lost a bit of top speed and a bit of high speed acceleration. Plus stock tires tended to spin a bit more.

Old 04-30-2000, 02:27 AM
Pro Rider

Buy them you will not be sorry I love mine. I have them on a 2000 sp 500 and there is no fender rubbing or clearence problems . All on stock rims .

Old 04-30-2000, 07:42 AM
Pro Rider

I’m very happy with my MRs on stock wheels, but you guys running them better check to see if you have any rubbing going on between the inside of the right tire and tie rod end. I had to shave a little off my tire sidewall to keep it from rubbing.

Beyond that, your clearance problems (or lack thereof) will depend on how loaded down your front end is. If you have no winch and don’t carry gear up there just do what Xplor did and add the Polaris rubber spring spacers. If you ride with a heavy front end you may need to add firm front springs or even a lift kit.

Old 04-30-2000, 11:14 AM
Pro Rider

Ronnie,
I know you are looking at the GY Mudrunners, I've heard they are excellent mud tires... do they make a Kenda BearClaw in 26"? They also offer good mud riding and handle well in the terrain where you live. Just an option.

Old 04-30-2000, 02:10 PM
Pro Rider

floodrunner,
Thats what I was worried about and since I have "alternative" tie rods the clearance is pretty minimal with stock tires. There is a topic about making your polaris steer easier where they have fab a bracket that moves the tie rod end back a little, one person says he has also moved in 1/4 inch. Maybe I should try this mod before I get wider tires.

Robert,
Im looking at a ad in magazine for Kenda BC's, they have a 26/9/12 which would work for the front but the only other 26 incher is 26/12/12, which wont fit stock 10" rim. Im not in any hurry for new tires so I'll do more research.

Thansk everyone for your input

Old 05-01-2000, 11:05 AM
Trailblazer

I have a 99 sportsman 500 and a 2000 sportsman 500 with 26" mudrunners on both. I think they're a great tire. They fit great on the stock rims...all you have to do is on the right side front add three washers just to give a little more clearance between the strut and the tire. A buddy of mine rides a 99 explorer 400 with vampires and in the deep mud we're the same. The mudrunners on the sportsman give you alot more clearance.

Old 05-01-2000, 11:31 AM
Pro Rider

I just bought the 26 inch mud bugs and put them on my xpedition 425 cc 5 speed. They are a bit larger
even then the 26 inch mud runners. For the back tires there is no problem whats so ever. My front tires do rub once in a while as I do bounce allot.
I have noticed on the xpedition 425 cc front end that you can push down with your body even. I think the factory springs are too light. When I bought my new tires and rims from highlifter, I told the guy that if the front tires rub that I would probably buy heavy duty springs from polaris. the guy at highlifter told me that if i do that, I should call him back as he has something that will work better, he said. I am going to call him and ask him about it. I was thinking about wanting a stiffer front end for the xpedition 425 even before i bought bigger tires. I
gave my new tires a real good work out this past saturday again for the second time. They performed
very well. I am getting used to them now. I guess in short, im saying for the xpedition. The 26 inch tires- GO FOR IT! At the same time, check into heavy duty springs for the front end or something?
I think they should have come that way from the factory. Be prepared too when you buy wider tires and use them in the mud. Your going to get all muddy and will want to get extended mud skirts. With my new wider mud skirts I do not get muddy now.

rangerchet, polaris year 2000 xpedition 425 cc 5-speed.