Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

700 Oil Level

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2003, 10:20 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 700 Oil Level

It seems my oil level is slightly higher than when I first changed it. I don't think I am getting gas in the oil, I always turn off the shutoff valve when I kill the engine. I was thinking maybe the oil filter check valve isn't working right and causing all the oil in the oil filter to drain back into the crankcase, if I crank the engine, stop it and let it sit for a few minutes and then check it the level seems normal, but after sitting over night it seems a little higher than normal. Just curious if any one else has had inconsistent oil level check on a 700 or a problem with gas in the oil or fuel pump diaphram problem or something.

Old 04-30-2003, 10:25 PM
Pro Rider
Default 700 Oil Level

How much did you put in it? It will read higher after it has time to settle down to the bottom. I put in the 2 quarts I was told to, and it reads a little bit high when cold. I really don't care, it hasn't hurt it yet in 550 miles. Which reminds me, I am due for an oil change. I would rather have it a little high when cold than right when warm and low while running.

Old 05-01-2003, 10:56 PM
Pro Rider
Default 700 Oil Level

What I was trying to say is it seems like my oil level is slightly higher than it was 200 miles ago when I first changed it. I understand about the difference between hot and cold check but I can't figure out how it could keep getting higher on the dipstick.

Old 05-02-2003, 07:11 PM
Pro Rider
Default 700 Oil Level

oh, I didnt realize that. I would be worried about gas or coolant getting in there. Definitely gotta get that looked at right away. good luck

Old 05-02-2003, 07:12 PM
Pro Rider
Default 700 Oil Level

probably be cheaper to just change the oil and filter again to watch what it does, rather than go pay dealer labor rate. for now anyway.

Old 05-02-2003, 08:04 PM
Pro Rider
Default 700 Oil Level

After talking to the local Polaris mechanic he says it is probably not getting oil in the gas because on the 700 the carb intake is angled down and gas would show up in the air box. If the diaphram was leaking on the fuel pump it should cause it not to run right because it would be sucking raw gas into the intake. I always turn off the fuel shutoff valve when I stop the engine (because of a bad experience I had with a Honda that filled the entire crankcase with gas and nearly blew up when I started it).

I have a theory what may be happening, the 700 oil filter has the check valve to keep all the oil from draining out when the engine is not running, so I am thinking maybe the oil filter check valve has started leaking by a little and allowing more oil to drain out of the filter overnight, so it seems like my oil level is slightly higher than it was a month ago. I am going to change it and keep a close check on it.

Old 05-02-2003, 09:58 PM
Pro Rider
Default 700 Oil Level

that makes sense, if the amount you're noticing corresponds to the amount a filter could hold. I'm guessing here, but maybe about 1/10 of a quart. I guess that could make it read over the full mark by say a quarter inch or so. You'd think that the quality control on an oil filter would be better, considering that they charge twice as much as an automotive filter.

Trending Topics

Old 05-04-2003, 07:41 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default 700 Oil Level

if you make short runs and don`t get engine temp up long enough to burn off condensation that could be your problem.owners manual states start and idle engine for 20-30 seconds before checking oil level, if I check my 02 700 I also get a high level oil reading if I don`t start and idle before checking.

Old 05-04-2003, 08:09 PM
Pro Rider
Default 700 Oil Level

Yes, that is true, I also read that in the owners manual. But usually I just check it cold and seems like my cold check has risen some on the dipstick from where it started out when I first changed it. Maybe I just looked at it cross- eyed or something. The only reason I even started thinking about it , I saw in a post a few weeks ago about someone who had a 700 that was blowing oil out the breather in the rocker box cover and they said the oil level was way too high, but I never saw the end result or what was causing it to do that. If anyone else saw that same post please refresh my memory.

Old 05-05-2003, 07:05 PM
Trailblazer
Default 700 Oil Level

Hey, I had the same problem with the rising oil level. Eventually it will cause your seals to leak, simply because of the excess pressure in the crankcase. Mine was leaking into the clutch cover around the crank, making the belt slip. I was told this was a defect in the early model 700's (maybe so) but after I got my oil level back within range it quit leaking. I think that winter driving for short distances ( to get the mail and paper every weekend ) then putting back in the garage allowed condensation to build in the crankcase. Now I try to run the engine longer, and change the oil every spring! ....fyi..also goes for autos as well ( anything with a pressurized oil system )! Just my opinion, hope it helps.

Quick Reply: 700 Oil Level