Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

What about air shocks on a Polaris???

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2000, 05:15 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know this might sound like a wild idea but has anybody thought about adding or experimented with putting air shocks on a Polaris or any other 4 wheelers that could be rund by a compressor...would like to hear any ideas you guys have on this one...

Old 05-01-2000, 05:09 PM
Pro Rider

Atving:
Just get off work? Boy, air shocks eh, that's a darn good idea. You mean kind of like on those silly little low rider truck things, I am assuming. Actually, that would be kind of handy. Fill them up for deep water or mud crossings, to gain a little height advantage, then let them out while going up steep hills, to get the front end closer to the ground. I think you're on to something. Let me know if you figure anything out, I'd be interested.

I wonder though, how they would work with the weight of the quad being so light, compared to a car anyway. Might be too stiff, even in the lowest setting. Who knows, might just work though. Again, let me know if you work something out, I'd love to hear about it.

Mike

Old 05-01-2000, 05:48 PM
Pro Rider

Well I do know it would probably be easier to do with the other brand bikes, Polaris has specially built struts that I really don't see anyway of replacing on the front. Now the back is a different story it has a five way adjustable shock and spring that is identical to a air shock. Maybe the best way to go on this would be in hydraulics which was mentioned over in the other topic "Sportsman Low rider" with a hydraulic system the frame could actually pulled down to compress the shock, I am sure this could be achieved with a very light winch. A lot of people might think I am crazy we need Tree Farmers outlook on this...but the possibilitys with a setup like this would be staggering and I wouldn't care to put a little money into it to get it going...just think

Going down hills- compress rear shocks to put weight to the rear
Going up hills- compress front shocks to transfer weight to front and to keep the front end down
Going up or down hills- compression of both front and rear you chose
Going across streams-Lock and lifted
Going across mud-Lock and lifted
Faster than average speed riding- both front and rear compressed
And here is one for you going on sideways inclines one front and one rear compressed of course to the right side...wow could you imagine that
going up a hill with a bad rut...well you get the idea...man where are you when you are needed tree farmer, I will send him a email and see if I can get him over here, going back to work tonight to start my 3 12 hour and 1 8 hour shift):

Old 05-01-2000, 06:32 PM
Range Rover

What about caster camber problems on real wheels dont forget this is not a solid axel on the rear. Did you ever notice how hard it is to steer when a big person sits way on the back. Lowering the back affects the front end alighnment too. Just a few comments still not a bad idea though.

Old 05-01-2000, 06:53 PM
Pro Rider

>What about caster camber problems on real wheels >dont forget this is not a solid axel on the rear.

69 I really don't think this would be a real problem air shocks are used in applications where independant suspension is used in cars

>Did you ever notice how hard it is to steer when >a big person sits way on the back. Lowering the >back affects the front end alighnment too. Just >a few comments still not a bad idea though.

Well I really haven't noticed this if anything seems the steering would be easier where some of the weight that was regularly bearing down on the front has been shifted...I personally haven't noticed this. As far as alignment I really don't see why on this either because a four wheeler is constantly being compressed just not for a long period of time, maybe this would be an issue but as in automobiles with air shocks this not an issue. Maybe somebody can come up with something on here maybe the key to it though as i had mentioned though would be some kind of hydraulic setup or winch setup that would actually compress the frame closer to the wheels...

Old 05-01-2000, 06:58 PM
Range Rover

well atving I guess I dont know a thing about my sportsman then. Yeah ever see a Vett with ait shocks rear wheels have to be realighned raise it up and the wheels do this \/ lower it and they do this /\ been around cars for 30 years know a few things.

Old 05-01-2000, 07:02 PM
Pro Rider

Atving:
I think you're on to something here. As you mentioned earlier, and like I stated, being able to adjust the shocks to compensate for going up or down hills, in the mud and water, and like you mentioned, side hilling would be awesome. It would also make the machine safer to drive as well, with it not so tempting to tip over. I really don't see how it would affect the caster camber situation, or the steering angles either, as cars and trucks do this all the time. My buddies dad has those Rancho air adjustable shocks on a blazer, and they really work well. I think applying this to a four wheeler would be a neat trick. You're right, Tree Farmers opinions here would be a help as well. Maybe we'll have to run over to the Honda forum and try to "roust him up", see if he'll head over this way.

Sorry to hear about your 3-12's + 8, makes for a long several days.

Mike

Old 05-01-2000, 07:15 PM
Pro Rider

I didn't mean anything personal 69 didn't mean by my post that you didn't know what you were talking about just bringing different views into the manner. As far as the vet yes I have seen them with air shocks I have a 67 coupe myself and some of the shows I have went to were using them with the ungodly large tires...realignment may be a factor but like anything else when they are put on cars with independant suspension the realignment is done and thats it. I think the worse thing with an air shock setup on realignment would be unusual tire wear which I don't think would be any big deal and tire vibration which probably wouldn't be a major factor due to most ATV's are not rode over 40 mph for any lengthy time...If you took it wrong you have my apologys its just my views on it and you may be right...

Old 05-01-2000, 08:52 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"High-jacker" -type shocks for quads? Hydraulic lift systems?

I'm flattered my opinion is requested!

Actually, a hydraulic height-control system for ATV's already exists. Using a high-pressure electrically-driven pump and a high-volume gas-over-fluid accumulator, the system provides high-impulse height changes to all four corners, switchable independently.

With this system, a quad can be made to "dance;" to lunge and to bounce, rhythmically, changing the frame height up to five inches in excursion.

The system is very expensive, and sold only in East Los Angeles; the purchase agreement permits use only within Los Angeles, San Bernardino, and Orange Counties, CA.

JUST KIDDING!

Actually, the concept of height-adjustable shocks or auxiliary air springs has merit for ATV's as it does for trucks and cars; principally for overload protection when carrying heavier-than-typical weights.

Some additional ground clearance advantages may accure. Ground clearance, of course, is affected only on quads with independent suspensions (most have at least independently-sprung front ends). And, fact-of-life, the steering geometry is affected by varying the height by this method; the center of gravity is affected by any height change.

There have been several automotive approaches; Citroen's gas-oil suspended sedans had a dash-controlled lift mechanism, raising the car about 3", I think.

Older Subaru 4WD vehicles (pre-Crocodile Dundee) had a manual lift adjusment. Today, the yuppie SUV-of- hoice, Land Rover, has a lift system (yeah, right; these drivers do a LOT of rough country off-roadin' and four-wheelin'; they 'bout have a traffic jam on the Peters Mill Run Road across Powell Mountain . . . right).

We won't even talk about the air-oil suspended Austin America, the only vehicle known to leak more than British motorcycles . . .

While I made a joke or two, I don't want to minimize the innovative and creative thought behind the prospect of adjustable ATV suspensions. I sincerely believe the concept has useful potential. Nice going, atving; thanks for sharing an intersting idea on the Forum, where I hope you receive better posts than this one!

Tree Farmer

Old 05-01-2000, 09:07 PM
Pro Rider

Seriously, if that's allowed, Air shocks are useful for varying a vehicle's height or load capacity. ATV means ALL TERAIN VEHICLE which means long travel suspension that will soak up the bumps. That is something any kind of Air shock is NOT good at. Jacking it up or increasing the load capacity will severely limit wheel travel. If you want to raise or lower the chasis it could be done independently of the suspension without affecting wheel travel but of course at considerable cost and weight.

Quick Reply: What about air shocks on a Polaris???