Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

shift knob???

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2003, 01:00 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default shift ****???

Is it possible to replace the plastic shift **** with one from an auto parts store. I was thinking that one of those chrome skull heads with the led red eyes would look really cool. Do you think it will fit? Are they screwed on? How are the plastic ***** attached?

Old 05-07-2003, 01:01 AM
Pro Rider
Default shift ****???

LOL, hey, thats actually a good idea. i dont know if it would work or not. hopefully it would. how much do those things cost?

Old 05-07-2003, 01:07 AM
Pro Rider
Default shift ****???

Hey BigBad, I have heard of it being done actually. It would take some modding, but I think it would be possible. The factory **** has a screw in the top and just slips down over the lever, it is fat at one part so it holds onto the **** a bit. You could probably figure out something, give it a shot and let us know how it turns out.

Old 05-07-2003, 01:13 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Default shift ****???

I think I will give it a shot. They are only around $20 and the ones with led eyes use batteries. I am sure that I can figure something out. I will let you guys know how it turns out.

Old 05-07-2003, 01:24 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Default shift ****???

The more I look. I found that some of them are threaded while others use a screw in the back to hold it on. As long as it will fit on the shift lever, I can use the one with the screw or rig my own up. Supposedly, the eyes light up when you shift or appy pressure to the ****[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] How COOL is that!!!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 05-07-2003, 01:34 AM
Pro Rider
Default shift ****???

what website do you see these at?

Old 05-07-2003, 01:42 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Default shift ****???

JC Whitney Ebay Here and Here just to name a few

Old 05-07-2003, 09:18 AM
Pro Rider
Default shift ****???

Hey guys,
It definately WILL work. I've done it. I bought a shifter **** from wally world with rubber spikes in the grip and chrome all around. Most of these kits come with 4-5 plastic spacers so you can find the right on that will fit over your shaft. When you take of the stock shifter, there are 3 ***** on the shifter. Measure off how far down the new shifter will go on the handle and you will have to grind a couple of the bumps smooth, and then paint them again so it won't rust. The usually just grip the shaft with some allen screws. I never had any problems, had it on a couple different scrammys. Looks trick and adds a nice touch!!

Old 05-07-2003, 04:20 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Default shift ****???

Well I did it!!! It worked and looks great. NO modifications needed. I went to autozone and got a "Lighted LED Skull" shift **** for manual transmissions. It is made by Quest and costs $15. And it runs on batteries that are included. All you do is push a button and the eyes light up. There are notches and bumps on the rod from where the old **** was. I was going to grind them off but I think it looks cool with them They look like spines[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] The skull fit perfectly without any spacers and is held on with an allen screw on the side that clamps it on and it does not move. Here is a picture

Old 05-07-2003, 04:39 PM
Trailblazer
Default shift ****???

BigBad, I've been pondering this same question for about a month now. That looks great! Whenever I see an episode of Monster Garage, I always notice the shifter of whatever their working on has a skull **** on it and thought, hey that would look cool on the Sport. Great research and execution!

Quick Reply: shift knob???