Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Drain plug confusion on '96 Scrambler....

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2003, 02:23 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drain plug confusion on '96 Scrambler....

Hope you gurus can help. I recently rebuilt my '96 Scrambler 4x4 due to power loss, time on engine, and strangely enough water loss. I figured the head gasket started leaking water into the cylinder. In an effort to do things right, I pulled all three drain plugs from the bottom of the crank case to ensure no more water was in my system. Looking at the front of the engine the center plug is the engine counter balancer plug but the plug on the right baffles me. It is both center drilled and cross drilled and for the life of me I can not figure out why.

The "why" would not bother me so much, except I overtightened this little plug and it broke off at the cross drilled hole. Of course this upsets the whole system and it does not run correctly. But the part that stumps me is while it's running without this plug, a mixture of fuel, air, oil and WATER is constantly blowing out. I can figure out the why of the fuel, air, and oil but the water????? Does this mean I have other problems within the crankcase? Maybe a bad waterpump seal or something? Any help would be much appreciated.

BTW, the head gasket has not been compromised this time, nor before the rebuild.

Running stock head ported & polished, .050 over bore, Wiesco piston, K&N air filter, clutch kit, after market exhaust (not a clue as to the mfg), all else stock.

Old 05-10-2003, 08:30 AM
Pro Rider

This sounds like it is your crankcase drain plug. Maybe you can use an ease-out and then just replace the plug. Good luck.

Old 05-10-2003, 10:15 AM
Weekend Warrior

Luckily, when the plug broke off at the cross drilled hole, it left a perfect little slot for a flat head screw driver so I was able to back it out.

I think I'm gonna pull the plug for the counter balancer to see if I have any water in there. After reading a little deeper into my Clymer manual, I'm leaning toward believing I have a bad water pump seal.

Any thoughts???

Old 05-10-2003, 11:21 AM
Weekend Warrior

Found my problem. There was water in the counter balancer portion of my engine, so it's got to be a bad seal at the least or bad water pump at the worst.

Thanks for replying duneaholic.

Always remember,
No matter how hard you work,
No matter how hard you try,
No matter how right you are.....

Sometimes the dragon wins!!

Old 05-10-2003, 11:40 AM
Elite Pro Rider

There are two opposing seals between the counterbalancer and the water pump. Also take close inspection for grooving on the counterbalance shaft. With quite a bit of time on the motor, just a suggestion here, I would have a professional shop go through the bottom end. Bore out the jug, and at a minimum replace the stock piston with a Wiseco piston. The skirts on the stock pistons were subject to breaking.

Old 05-11-2003, 04:57 PM
Pro Rider

Better get those seals replaced because mine went and didn't know it and it locked up my counterbalancer thus causing all kind of problems.

Old 05-11-2003, 07:49 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks guys.

Modquad, I was finishing up the tear down of my lower unit about the time you replied Saturday night. It was as you and Duneaholic suspected. The double seals on the counter balancer shaft were leaking water into the counterbalancer compartment of the engine. This corroded several of my bearings along with various and assundry components within the engine.

With this said, I'm in the process of replacing all internal bearings and seals. I will admit that it's a lot easier than my last crankcase teardown. That was back in '89 on a Honda 110.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Always remember,
No matter how hard you work,
No matter how hard you try,
No matter how right you are.....

Sometimes the dragon wins!!