Polls Post your Polls here

Helmets

Old 11-11-2008, 01:39 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Helmets

You should really check out Rockymountainatv.com, in their closeout section they have killer deals. I bought a last years model Fox V3, which is their top of the line, for 175 bucks. That is a 375 dollar helmet. 200 bucks off because it is last years model. Fox's entry level helmet which goes about 140-150 new, 70 bucks.

Old 11-11-2008, 04:40 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Mopar Man!
Default Helmets

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Stoopidbot

You should really check out Rockymountainatv.com, in their closeout section they have killer deals. I bought a last years model Fox V3, which is their top of the line, for 175 bucks. That is a 375 dollar helmet. 200 bucks off because it is last years model. Fox's entry level helmet which goes about 140-150 new, 70 bucks.</end quote></div>

+1 Plus they have a guarantee fit policy on non clerance helmets!

Old 11-12-2008, 01:33 PM
Pro Rider
Lets Ride!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Helmets

Also check Motosport.com as they too are having end of season sales...... I trust both Motosports and Rocky Mountain ATV - they have both been excellent to me and I usually go to whoever has the best deal at the time....

Old 11-17-2008, 11:58 AM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Helmets

If I was riding some insanely-fast crotch rocket on the highway I would want a Snell approved helmet, but I don't think they're neccesary for putting along in the woods. The DOT rating is based on dropping the helmet from a height of ten feet. That's more like the kind of impact I might get.

Old 11-17-2008, 08:55 PM
Pro Rider
Default Helmets

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: jumbofrank

If I was riding some insanely-fast crotch rocket on the highway I would want a Snell approved helmet, but I don't think they're neccesary for putting along in the woods. The DOT rating is based on dropping the helmet from a height of ten feet. That's more like the kind of impact I might get.</end quote></div>

It's your noodle!

Old 11-18-2008, 01:08 AM
Pro Rider
Lets Ride!
Default Helmets

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: jumbofrank

If I was riding some insanely-fast crotch rocket on the highway I would want a Snell approved helmet, but I don't think they're neccesary for putting along in the woods. The DOT rating is based on dropping the helmet from a height of ten feet. That's more like the kind of impact I might get.</end quote></div>

Hey that's cool at least you wear something.....

You'd be surprised how little impact it takes to get a concussion. Since I've had a few and still sometimes suffer from Post Concussion Syndrome symptoms I take no chances with my head anymore.

I grew up in the non-helmet era and took one too many shots so now I take NO chances..... last year I stopped to move a tree from the trail and I didn't realize when I threw it I caused a chain reaction and knocked over another small leaning tree that hit me right on the top of the head.....certain concussion with no helmet...... it was pure luck because sometimes I'd take my helmet off to do that.... now I won't......

So not trusting the DOT helmets is just a chance I won't take but some as yourself will. I always just point it out to people about the DOT ratings in case they don't already know. I've had many people switch over to Snell once learning that DOT tests are only done on the shell of the helmet, whereas Snell testing is done from the perspective of your head......

Even better is Snell 2000/2005 which tests crush capacity and crumple zones designed to keep your brain from hitting your skull. But you generally need to spend like $250-plus for those ones......

But there is something to be said for comfort too.... If you've ever put on an Arai helmet it is like putting your head into a glove....of course spending that much is not an option for most people.........once you go nice it is tough to go back......

I paid $340 for my Troy Lee Design lid, but I won't buy any other brand anymore. There is just something about the TLD lids that fit my melon perfectly. I wish they cost less but I'm willing to pay more for the comfort and peace of mind...

Old 11-18-2008, 08:06 AM
Pro Rider
Default Helmets

I have always wore the Fox V3, I just recently got a Bell Moto-8. I love it.

Old 11-18-2008, 04:17 PM
Pro Rider
Lets Ride!
Default Helmets

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Stoopidbot

I have always wore the Fox V3, I just recently got a Bell Moto-8. I love it.</end quote></div>

The Moto-8 is a nice lid....... I like Bell and have had a couple, they used to be my #1 choice until I discovered the TLD lids. I like the airflow better on the TLD but the Bell was just as comfy.....

I never tried the V3 from Fox but they are high quality for sure.......

Old 11-20-2008, 10:24 PM
Pro Rider
Default Helmets

i got mine for 30 bucks and its dot and snell it fits fine and looks good too
i just gooled atv helmets and it came up

Old 11-29-2008, 11:30 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Helmets

good thread. im considering getting this one: <a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.rockymountainatv.com/productDetail.do?navType=type&priceRange=allPrices &navTitle=Helmet+%26+Goggles&webTypeId=73&webCatId =2&brandId=allBrands&prodFamilyId=22474
">http://www.rockymountainatv.co...dFamilyId=22474
</a>
i really like the design even tho its a bit higher than i want to pay.
reading the description and i came across this.
Exceeds SNELL, DOT, ECE 22/04 and AS standards.

what are ECE 22/04 and AS standards?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Helmets