Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Poor Brake Lever Pressure

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2003, 09:29 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Poor Brake Lever Pressure

I just started having problems with my brakes. The first time I squeeze the lever there is low pressure and little stopping power. If I release the lever and squeeze it quickly I have good braking. I looked at the brake fluid, it was low, and seemed a bit cloudy so I bled one wheel and topped it up. Still the same symptoms. Would it be the master cylinder?
Any help would be appreciated.

Old 07-18-2003, 11:45 AM
Weekend Warrior

I was told by my AC dealer that poor brake lever pressure is a indication of front wheel bearing falure.
(Boring's AC 724-235-2171 Do you ride in a lot of mudd or water? Mine went at about 1000 miles. It drove BAD. But my front tires also needed replaced so I dont know how much was the tires & how much was the barrings, I replaced the tires and bearings and it drove better than ever. I was told by the dealer if bearing problems persist, remove front seal and replace it "The Seal" and clean & Repack bearings The set of bearings were about $60. if I remember correctly.

Old 07-18-2003, 02:48 PM
Trailblazer

Sounds like you need to bleed all brake lines. One line will not do it. Bleed them all and see if you still have problems.

You said you resivour was down....perhaps some air got in a line somewhere.

I'm really not sure whet brake lever travel has to do with bearing failure.......they've have to explain it to me in detail.

-jeff b.

Old 07-18-2003, 03:46 PM
Weekend Warrior

timbyr is right i had to do the same thing with my cat and it drove better than ever... mine was due to lots of mud and water riding, brakes improved so much....but i had to pay $86.00 for my bearings at the dealer ship...

Dantheman3

Old 07-18-2003, 04:51 PM
Weekend Warrior

when i had this problem, i bled the brake lines. made a big diference. you probably have some air in there.

Old 07-18-2003, 05:27 PM
Pro Rider

Im not a mechanic, but i cannot see how wheel bearings have anything to do with brake lever being soft. Ill agree with the other fellas and make sure you bleed them all as best you can. Sounds like they are trying to sell you bearings. If the fluid was cloudy id drain the system and refill.

Old 07-18-2003, 06:06 PM
Weekend Warrior

just jack the front end up and check for play, if its tight, move on to the brakes, if its loose replace the bearings.
Its easyier to check the bearings than to bleed the brakes

Old 07-19-2003, 03:53 AM
Trailblazer

It definatly sounds to be a brake fluid issue replace the old fluid with new stuff and bleed the brakes well, Other than that you could check ur pads

Old 07-19-2003, 11:20 AM
Weekend Warrior

Well I checked my bearings last night and I need another set. 759 miles since the last set. The quad pulls to the left but takes off to the right with no warning,Its a real hand full. Brakes are soft the first time I hit them but pump up quickly. I don't have the time and/or want to repack after every ride but I am begining to think it may be nessasery. I also get a tight spot in my steering, but that is caused by the block behind the gas tank, a little greese every now and then will fix that. I ride with another Cat (2002 400) and a 300 ex neither has had any problems (but the 2002 cat only has 400 miles on it). Pisses me off, time for a polaris? When new, after about 500 miles I started feeling something funny, at 1000mi. had to replace tires & Bearings, now at 1500 miles the same pattern. I don't want a quad 1/2 the time I ride drives like s*#t

2001 AC 400
titians 489's
hand warmers
2000lb warn

Old 07-19-2003, 12:41 PM
Trailblazer

Just to help understand why the brakes feel soft on first pull, with bad bearings.
When the wheel is loose like this, due to bad bearings, or other. The disk rides at an angle to the caliper, and actually pushes the pads back away from the disk. First pull moves pads closer; second pull causes friction on disk for the stop.

I hope this is helpful. Not always the reason for soft brakes but is always something to look at as a cause.

Quick Reply: Poor Brake Lever Pressure