Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

Hi-Bird 250 STW

Old 07-27-2008, 03:40 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hi-Bird 250 STW

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

I've never owned or operated a quad. Came across a used 2007 Hi-bird 250 STW for a reasonable price and bought it. No owners manual. Having difficulty with it starting. Am not sure if the switch on the left grip below the light & fan switches (but above the starter button) is a kill switch? or what? It doesn't seem to want to stay in any position except center and I don't know if this could have an effect on the starting problem? Also, which way is "open" on the choke cable? When I push it backward, it pulls the cable out where I can see it (open?); when I pull it in, I no longer see cable (closed?).

I looked for hours trying to locate a manual, schematic or diagram - no luck. Anyone know where I can get one for this machine?

Thanks

Old 07-27-2008, 03:57 PM
Range Rover
Default Hi-Bird 250 STW

for a owners manual for your hi bird go to anamcycles.com, their you can down load one

Old 07-27-2008, 10:10 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Hi-Bird 250 STW

Should be able to find all info I need in the manual. I really appreciate your help.
Thanks so much!

Old 09-15-2017, 04:25 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Dead thread, but need help

Got a used hi-bird qh 250stw says on it, it is camo, has racks and a fan. Trying to find any usable info seems impossible on this thing. Trying to get a wiring diagram, cdi pinout would be helpful. Or even just some messaging from someone who knows about them would help. Someone rewired on it and I am trying to get it back to normal. Will start with help from carb cleaner, even ram it around a while. But it doesn't want to start on its own ever . Carb is nice and clean, but it doesn't sound right trying to start. Already changed plug and coil, starter, starter relay, redid some wires, changed killswitch multifunction switch, bh t it will try to start if I am holding kill switch or engine off is pushed in. Let me know if anyone can help or point me in right direction.

Old 09-16-2017, 02:47 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 300 Likes on 294 Posts

Adjust the valves. If compression is down, it makes bikes bad to start and checking valves is the first thing to try. Another cause of bad starting is the choke mechanism not working properly.

Are you saying that the bike will still run if the kill switches are in any position? If so, someone has rewired it to cut them out, does this matter, if switching ignition off kills the engine?

Old 09-16-2017, 09:25 AM
Weekend Warrior

how do I adjust the valves? I plan to cut out where they rewired, but I would like to get it going good first, so I can make small adjustments and keep it going.

Old 09-17-2017, 02:48 AM
Elite Pro Rider

I don't know that engine, if it has rockers there will be a cover or caps that need to come off then you turn the engine until the inlet valve (which you can now see) closes, then check for the timing mark, usually visible through a plugged hole in the flywheel cover. As you slowly turn the crankshaft round in it's normal rotation direction, the mark should become visible in the hole. Once you get it to this point, check the valve clearance with a feeler gauge between valve and rocker. If you don't know what this should be, I go for a minimum of 0.003" if there is no clearance, you have found the problem. There will be an adjuster screw and locknut on the rocker arm to alter the clearance. There should be lots of videos on the net showing valve adjustment for various types of motorcycle engine, chose one that looks similar to yours. If your engine is double overhead cam, adjustment may be best left to an expert.

Old 09-19-2017, 12:02 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Manual & Information

I just bought one of these Hi-bird 250 ATV's also. Couldn't find any information or manuals on this. I've been trying to replace the plastics since the ones on it right now are all busted up. I was even thinking of buying one close in looks and if I had to make some brackets or mods to it to make it fit then I would do that. Anyone have any manual info, wiring schematics, body plastics, etc? Mines starts but it dies if I let off the gas. I'm going to make some adjustments to the carb to get it to run right.

Old 09-20-2017, 02:12 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Just Googled Hi-bird ATV and the factory still has a live website so they are still going, they may not make your model now, but must have a dealer network, with some sort of spares system. CHONGQING HI-BIRD MOTORCYCLE INDUSTRY CO.,LTD. - ÍøÕ¾Ê×Ò³

Old 10-22-2017, 04:32 PM
Weekend Warrior

I seen on another post to adjust the in to .004 and out to .006 so I adjusted them to that, seems to have helped, don't know if it is right, the date on the front plate is 7/07. Seems like the engine will rev, but maybe the gears arent engaging fully. Especially true with choke on. Other thing, i thing is electical, sometimes it doesn't turn over, just makes a weird sound, if I let off the button and try again it will go, or will on 3rd try. If I have a clutch problem, how hard is it to change clku tech plates on these? Think I got my mind cleared for now, any help would, uh.... help. Thanks, would be nice if I coiuld explain better, sorry for that.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Hi-Bird 250 STW