General Chat Ask for ATV help above in the Brand Discussions Area. Use this forum to discuss Life, Music, ETC. Or discuss pretty much anything BUT no political or religious threads. There's an area for that.

700 efi sportsman intermittent miss

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2017, 12:58 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 700 efi sportsman intermittent miss

Machine is an 06 sportsman 700 efi. Cold it runs fine MOST of the time , when it gets hot it sometime becomes erratic and the idle will drop to 800 or so and when I give it throttle it either sputter and back fire or die.

Cold idle is about 1250 and when it warms up it drops to 1050 to 1100 and the engine is bouncing around. It will drive ok and has power to get the wheels off the ground. At first it had a check engine light and codes 41 and 45 so installed the OTB tbap harness, reset the codes and it rode fine for about 20 miles on a hot day. Next ride it happened again, no check engine light and no error codes. I then changed the coil, plugs and wires, that didn't help.

I had a fuel pump I had ordered for my truck that I saw on the forums that had the same Napa part number that would work. Put the pump in and rode it hard. Within an hour it was doing the same thing except this time the check engine light is back with codes 41 and 45. Fuel pressure is good, I got a chance to test when it was acting up and it was right at 39 psi.

is it possible the tbap is faulty? It seems they never go bad. I've ohmed all the wires and tbap wires to the control and found no dead shorts. I know that's not always how shorts work but I'm lost and need help, any and all is appreciated.

Old 05-22-2017, 03:22 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

If you have checked the continuity between the tbap wires beyond the spliced section of the otb kit to each pin in the connector and they ohm out ok,then possible the tbap may have failed.Plus if you haven't removed the tbap and gently cleaned it,this could possibly be a problem. Not a common thing for a tbap to fault but possible.

Old 05-22-2017, 05:50 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have cleaned it gently with a soft cotton swab and a low psi blast of air, thanks for the reply good sir, I guess its off to the dealer, im tired of throwing money at it.