Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

2013 Sportsman 550 Wrench Thread - First time

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2018, 09:14 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yea, next time, I will have some additional time to shop around for best prices. I really just want to get the fluids changed so we can ride this weekend. I would feel a lot better knowing that all the fluids are fresh and filled to the appropriate level. I NEVER trust what anyone says what they did the bike.

Thanks for all the help OPT! I hope you dont mind that I shortened your screen name.

Old 02-28-2018, 01:05 PM
Trailblazer

Well, I found a Polaris Dealership about 10 minutes from my house and they had everything I needed. Prices were pretty decent as well (compared to Amazon). Plus, I could get all it today and do the change later today/tonight. After I get the fluids changed, its off the bath, tomorrow, to clean it up a bit.

Old 02-28-2018, 01:17 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't forget step 12. Put a film of fresh oil on the oil filter before installing it. Don't dip a finger in the pan of dirty oil to use like some people have done.

Old 03-01-2018, 01:49 PM
Trailblazer

I have a few questions regarding a potential bolt that is missing and jack stand points on the ATV.

Last night and today, I got the Engine oil, front Diff, and transmission oil drained. Damn, the drain plugs on the transmission were a little tough to get out as there is not a lot of room for leverage. None the less, with some PB Blaster and some heat, they were removed. Also, I found when taking off the wheels, that all the brake pads were about down to the metal! Ugg...so a full new set of pads are on the way...

So, I have found that it will be MUCH easier to have the bike on jack stands, but I am having a hard time locating the best location. I currently have them centered on the frame, about even with the center of the front a-arms. But I am not sure this is the best location. Is there a better place to put the front jack stands? I need it to be raised about 2 more inches, so I was hoping I could move them down the frame (towards the rear) a bit. What about in the rear? Currently, it is just up on the jack...getting more stands tonight. See pics here:

While I was taking off the back wheels to drain the rear oils and I noticed a potential bolt that is missing in the big black, what looks like a clutch cover? Sorry, I dont know the name of it and I am having a hard time finding the schematic on the OEM listing. Is there suppose to be a bolt screwed into the bottom threaded hole that you see in the pic? What is the part of the engine called so I can look it up on RMATV or Partzilla?

Old 03-01-2018, 04:20 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Better to have the atv level,you're too high at an angle. Get some long extensions,wobbly extensions would help also so you can reach the drain/fill plugs.Fill bottle with hoses or some even use turkey basters.Makes short work of filling gear cases.The plug your missing is the drain plug from the cover. Item #3. https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/po...y-clutch-cover

Old 03-01-2018, 04:47 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
Better to have the atv level,you're too high at an angle. Get some long extensions,wobbly extensions would help also so you can reach the drain/fill plugs.Fill bottle with hoses or some even use turkey basters.Makes short work of filling gear cases.The plug your missing is the drain plug from the cover. Item #3. https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/po...y-clutch-cover
thank you.

How critical is the drain plug? What drains out? Also, any tips on the jack stand locations on the bike?

Old 03-01-2018, 05:06 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Plug drains any accumulated water without having to pull the cover like the older models.. I had the luxury of having a lift that I worked on atvs level so fluid would all drain out as much as possible. Having it up at an angle may not allow gear cases,diffs to drain as much.If you need jack stands,have 4 and have it level.

Old 03-01-2018, 05:43 PM
Trailblazer

Thank you sir. So it sounds like I would be ok riding it around in the wood for this weekend without the drain plug. I ordered one and it will be here on Monday.

I picked up another 2 stands. Here is how I have it now. It still is a little squirrely upfront. There is no good way to place the jack stands wide to be stable. Its pretty good right now. If there are any other options, I would love to hear.

Old 03-01-2018, 06:05 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by TPA-MX-ATV

I picked up another 2 stands. Here is how I have it now. It still is a little squirrely upfront. There is no good way to place the jack stands wide to be stable. Its pretty good right now. If there are any other options, I would love to hear.
Just don't have your head under it if possible..Just to be safe..

Old 03-01-2018, 07:29 PM
Pro Rider
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I did the same with the 4 jackstands. Just under the frame.
It works, but I wouldn't leave it sitting around like that if any kids are around. Also, like said above, just be careful, and don't go shaking it around if you have to be under it.

Quick Reply: 2013 Sportsman 550 Wrench Thread - First time