Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

2009 X2 800 AWD problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2018, 06:07 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2009 X2 800 AWD problem

Okay, for a little while AWD was sketchy. Would work most of the time, but not all... Other day, out in bush, got into deep snow. No AWD. Sat, spun tires a bit - AWD kicked in for a second or two a couple of times - at ridiculously high rpm - 4000 plus. Not supposed to ever do that - gonna break stuff. Winched myself out, took it back to garage and checked a few things with ohmmeter/voltmeter, but not 100% sure of what I'm looking at... This is a 2009, so don't have two different hub coils, all goes through one, right? Pulled the plug on coil and checked resistance. AWD = 24 ohms, ADC = 10 - right on spec...?
Tested bike with gear shifter in H, AWD on...:
GY wire has 11.9v key off, 13.6 key on. Continuity to ground key off, none with key on. Continuity to handlebar switch.
BR/RD (ECU?) wire has 6v, key on or off.
GY/RD = 0v, continuity to handlebar switch.
BR/WH (to speedo) = 0v, continuity to speedo
Do I understand manual correctly? Says BR/WH should have 12v? That should be the problem, if that's true. Of course, leads to, why?
Thanks in advance for any help.

Old 03-18-2018, 06:15 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Older models brown/white was ground,but later ones like yours it's the power wire.Most common problem on your model and earlier ones was the plastic roller cage and armature plate. You can tear it apart and it may look good,but any small hairline crack can cause engagement problems. Polaris still listed the aluminum roller cage as optional in the parts break down(#10) Later models they finally changed over. IF it's aroll cage problem,plenty of these on ebay or amazon.https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/po...rcase-mounting

Old 03-18-2018, 06:23 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

BR/WH is supposed to have power? That's from speedo plug (#16), correct? No power there, key on or off. Does it activate by rpm? Or, if no power, any idea why? Power to wire activated by...? Workaround? Any and all info appreciated...
Again, thanks in advance.

Old 03-18-2018, 08:12 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

I've had this same problem where the brown/white was power on one members later model where the earlier models brown/white was ground. I looked at the 2009 manual and see that there is a red jumper from the left control switch that ties in to the front diff connector.You may still have the brown/white that's GROUND through the speedo on this model. You can bypass this if it is anyway by jumping it to a solid brown or a frame ground to bypass the speedo from screwing with the awd system.This may solve the problem if it's erratic. This sounds like deja vu all over again.