General Chat Ask for ATV help above in the Brand Discussions Area. Use this forum to discuss Life, Music, ETC. Or discuss pretty much anything BUT no political or religious threads. There's an area for that.

2013 Yamaha Grizzly 550 - Won't Stay Running

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2020, 12:11 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2013 Yamaha Grizzly 550 - Won't Stay Running

Having challenges with my 2013 Grizzly. Two years ago, I had the same problem and now it is repeating itself (solved it with a new battery and a new solenoid). The problem that existed (and is coming back now 2 years later) was that it would start and within 5 minutes it would just shut off by itself. I could restart it and it would do this 2 or 3 times within 10 minutes. It was ok when I was giving it gas, it would die if I jumped off to do something and it was just idling. Recently, I drained all the gas, put in new gas, had great spark from the plug, new solenoids (two of 'em) and they clicked when key was turned and turned over but never started even with starter fluid. Put in new battery (and tested to make sure battery was good beforehand), and now solenoid clicks but doesn't even want to turn over now. Dumbfounded. Have cleaned and tried everything I can think of. Even tried to reset the dash computer. Appreciate any help you all can suggest.

Old 02-22-2020, 11:32 AM
Weekend Warrior

UPDATE!!! While I thought I had a a great spark from the existing plug, I shouldn't have made that assumption. I tried so many things my brain was oatmeal and then decided to get a new plug, ignition switch assembly.....put new plug in and WHAM! It started. Now have my ATV back. Just some advice to not think spark plug is good just because it is sparking.....didn't even have to change ignition assembly.

Old 02-23-2020, 10:19 AM
Pro Rider
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Yes, once a spark plug is slightly fouled, best to replace it since they are cheap. And to your point, just because you get spark does not mean it is a strong enough spark. But same goes for batteries... just because it shows 12.x volts, does not mean it has been properly tested. Only way to truly know is to get it load tested.

The following users liked this post:
JWRodgers (02-23-2020)
Old 02-23-2020, 01:20 PM
Weekend Warrior

Wish I had talked with you at the start..LOL...would have saved me some headaches....really thought that plug was fine....glad I decided to go ahead and swap it out for a new one before I replaced more expensive stuff!!!

Old 06-29-2024, 01:09 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Solenoid

Weekend warrior, you mentioned you changed the battery and a solenoid and it solved your issues. What solenoid did you change?