Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

Grizzly Wont Run

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2007 | 01:59 AM
|
Pro Rider
Default Grizzly Wont Run

Last time i rode my Grizzly was bout a month ago where i pulled in the garage working fine. I left the key on for bout 2 weeks in the cold and the battery was shot, i tried charging and jumping but never worked. I bought a new battery today and it started right up for about 2minutes then stalled. started it back up and it ran for like 5 seconds and died. tried starting it again but it wouldnt fire back up, tried like hell but wouldnt start and stay running. Any help ASAP would be lovely its snowing like crazy here and my plow is useless, please help guys

Old 02-13-2007 | 09:38 AM
Pro Rider
Default Grizzly Wont Run

You got me. Maybe try putting a space heater on it for a while, you may have some water in the gas that has it froze off enough to make it do that. Also try taking your gas cap off, the vent may be plugged and causing it to lock up. If you got it to start up to begin with that is all I can think of.

Old 02-13-2007 | 01:56 PM
|
Pro Rider
Default Grizzly Wont Run

right now i also have the filter and airbox removed so i could spray fluid up into the carb, should i put the filter and box back on or it doesnt matter during all this? and still having the problem

Old 02-13-2007 | 09:12 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Grizzly Wont Run

With the airbox, and filter off, your getting to much air. pour a little sea foam in the carb, put them back on, and try again. That will help with water in the carbs. If that doesnt work, go to the spark plugs and try new ones. They are fairly cheap anyway. Also check all the fuses. GoodLuck!

Old 02-13-2007 | 10:59 PM
Pro Rider
Default Grizzly Wont Run

It sounds to me like no gas is making it into the carb which might suggest that your float needle is stuck. I had the same exact thing happen to my 2005 Grizzly. If the needle won't open then no gas will make it into the bowl. On the bottom of the carb should be a drain hose. Open the screw at the top of the hose and see if any gas drains out. If not, then there is no gas making it into the bowl. If this is the case, try tapping on the carb with a screwdriver handle or something to see if the needle frees itself up. If it starts then, you're in business. Otherwise, you're looking at taking it in for service to have them clean the carb and possibly replace the needle assembly. Don't let them clean the needle assembly. Have them replace the whole thing.

Old 02-13-2007 | 11:24 PM
|
Pro Rider
Default Grizzly Wont Run

Thanks for some help guys, but what exactly is sea foam im not to familiar..and i ran into a problem, the cap on top of the carb has a stripped screw, 1 out of 2, so now i cant open the top of the carb...and i loosened the screw under the float bowl and gas came out for 4-5 minutes then quit...i have over half tank of 93 gas that i just put in last night trying to spike the little bit of 87 i had in there incase it was dirty..when the screw is off under the float, doesnt gas flow til out of gas?? still no luck with quad though...

Old 02-14-2007 | 08:36 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Grizzly Wont Run

Sea Foam is a carb cleaner/ water remover that sometimes works wonders!

Old 02-14-2007 | 09:25 AM
Range Rover
Default Grizzly Wont Run

First thing I would do is add a half bottle of dry gas, the best you can buy. I think maybe you have
some water, and it freezes in the line. You have to get the Griz to a warm area for the ice in the line
to melt, and the dry gas to work. Otherwise the line will stay frozen till spring. Is it the new 700fi, if
so change your oil to Yamahas 5w30cw (cw means cold weather) it makes starting easy. Just
drain out about 2 to 2 and halft qts, and replace with the cold weather version. I had to do this in
early January and alot of others with 700's are finding that out.

Old 02-14-2007 | 01:07 PM
|
Pro Rider
Default Grizzly Wont Run

I wish it was the 700 but its a 2005 660..thing about getting it to a warmer area right now is near impossible since it doest run and the thing weighs near 1000lbs with the warn bar and tires, the thing is one heavy beast....without being able to get that top lid off of the carb how can i put sea foam in it?? any other way?? am i going to have to drill that screw out?

Old 02-14-2007 | 02:24 PM
Pro Rider
Default Grizzly Wont Run

It should start even w/ the air filter off... (Don't spray too much starter fluid in there... ) If it doesn't want to start (even for a few seconds) after spraying the starter fluid, then I would start looking else where... How's the spark plug look? Is it getting any spark?

I know it's a silly question, but is the on/off switch turned on? (left side of the handlebars)

Quick Reply: Grizzly Wont Run