Chinese Quads Brands such as Jetmoto, Yamoto, Redcat, V-Bike, Hi Bird, and Kazuma

Ignition coil wiring

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2022, 04:06 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ignition coil wiring

2011 Taotao 125d. I have a black wire and a black/yellow. Which wire goes on the Green spade terminal on the coil?

Old 06-13-2022, 01:55 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 328 Likes on 319 Posts

Black/yellow is usually the one from the CDI and the other wire is the negative, so goes to green.There are exceptions. Kawasaki used a car style system which fed 12v pos to coil from ignition switch and "ignitor" box fed a negative pulse to fire the spark. Best to check if that black wire is negative before connecting, but the green terminal is the earth on CDI coils copying Honda wiring.

Old 06-13-2022, 04:50 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thank you. I searched for hours trying to find an exact answer and couldn't find one. i was able to find a video and played it on slow-mo but it was hard to tell. But it im still in the same boat. No spark. Even with the black/white wire disconnected from the CDI box. When i first started diagnosing I used a video on YouTube and it pointed to a bad stator. I went ahead and bought the whole harness and parts just in case. Well the new stator ohmed the same ( I'm using the test i saw before, probably gotta find a different test) but when i removed the plastic the red wire got pinched, broke and grounded onto the from that goes into the rectifier. Im going to start over again with some tests i found on here.

Old 07-12-2024, 05:41 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default No spark

I had a question about the kawasaki ignition. I have a linhai 260cc 4 wheeler that is not getting spark. The previous owner changed the stator so I'm not sure what color wires from the stator were. It has a 2 wire pickup coil with green and blue wires. They run to blue and yellow for the trigger (blue wire) and green runs to red and black wire. Both wires show ground even when cranking. 8 pin cdi with 12v running to the coil so I assume it is set up like the kawasaki. Wire diagram doesn't show the black and red wire at all. I know on other atvs that usually powers the cdi but it already has 12v going to it. I saw it mentioned so I thought I would ask

Old 07-13-2024, 02:35 AM
Elite Pro Rider

If you are sure you have a 12v feed direct from ignition switch to coil, you have car style ignition. There is no red/black from stator, as you surmise, the ignitor box (it isn't a CDI) is also fed pos from ignition switch. All the system needs is signal wire(s) from the trigger coil, a pos and a neg to ignitor, plus a wire from ignitor to neg terminal of coil (not earth), so those extra wires to ignitor will need investigating. It is a development of the old contact breaker system so, ignition on, if you flash the negative lead that goes from ignitor to coil, to earth, you should get a spark at the plug. That proves the coil is OK. Spin engine on starter and you should get a small AC voltage from trigger coil wires.

Old 07-13-2024, 04:30 PM
Weekend Warrior

I am going to get a new multimeter to get more accurate readings. From what I can gather black/red is positive trigger and blue/yellow is negative trigger. The previous owner changed the coil. Both wires to the coil have 12 volts. And also at the spark plug boot. Is it possible he used the wrong kind of coil? Also can you tell me what voltage I should have from the pickup trigger coil? Thanks.

Old Yesterday, 02:46 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Sounds like the previous owner has messed up the wiring big style. If the two wires from stator, green and blue, really are for the trigger, then they won't be earthed in the stator, check that. The AC voltage produced across them when engine is spun can be anything from 0.4v upwards, rarely more than 3v.

Problem is there is the car style ignitor set up and DC CDI set ups too. They are very like the AC ones, but use battery DC power to the CDI instead of a separate "power coil" in the stator. This type doesn't have a 12v coil, it has earth on one terminal and is fed a power pulse once a rev from the CDI, which can be over 100v. My advice is to follow all the wires from the ignitor back to where they come from, same for ignition coil, draw this out to produce the wiring diagram and see if it makes sense. My guess is, it won't.

Old Yesterday, 02:26 PM
Weekend Warrior

I get about 1.3v from the pickup coil. Wire diagram shows power to the igniter box and coil. Everything seems to be hooked up right. I get nothing from blak/yellow wire while cranking + or - I am trying to figure out what changes on the pickup coil when it hits the timing mark because everything seems to stay consistent while I crank it. I ordered a new igniter box and coil. Should be here tomorrow

Old Today, 02:06 AM
Elite Pro Rider

1.3v should be OK and will be an AC pulse once a rev if it is just a pickup coil. Did you check those wires weren't earthed? As I wrote above, if the coil and "black box" are for car style ignition they will be wired up different to DC CDI. That green turning into a black/red is deeply suspicious, as black/red is almost always the power feed to CDI in Honda wiring colours. If you can, put the wiring diagram up so we can see just what type of ignition it is supposed to be.

Old Today, 02:50 PM
Weekend Warrior

This diagram has all the same wires running to the igniter box. Same colors too

Quick Reply: Ignition coil wiring