Sport Quads Discussions on sport quads.

Worst crash ever!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2004, 06:54 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Worst crash ever!!

While riding a few years back, my head light hit a branch and got smashed. So in trying to make it back to camp in the middle of the night with the rest of the crew, I accidentlly drove off a 5 foot cliff that led to a 500 foot tumble down a power line. I only went down 10 feet or so, but the bike made the full 500 foot trip. It took us an hour to find the bike. The next morning we recovered what was left and we all got ticketed by the park ranger who was there because we had mistankenly rode on off limits trails.

Old 03-30-2004, 01:33 AM
Weekend Warrior

Well, Mine is not a sport quad really so I dont know if it is appropriate for this thread.. but anyway

I was quite tired after pretty much an entire day of riding but we were going to go on one more run... and while waiting for my friend running into his house for a sec I decided to take a run in the field by my father in laws house and I went WOThrottle on my outlander through the field (I know this field like the back of my hand) problem was, it was about 9pm and pitch dark and the headlights on the outlanders suck (I wish I knew that before) I was probably doing about 45-50 and thought I was going toward the left (away from the creekbed) when actually I lost my bearing and was headed strait for a 20ft cliff.. When I saw it I locked up the brakes - but didnt stop in time--- maybe if it was a lighter, sporty quad I wouldve been able to get off the quad but I couldnt on this 600lb thing...

I am thankful to god that I survived my crash...I really dont remember it much... I apparently landed it because my hand was all bruised from the impact of the brake lever on the top of my hand and my chest and pretty much the entire mid-section of my body was one giant bruise from the bars and my odometer panel etc. apparently I was unconsious for a good 5 minutes and when I woke up I had no strength to flip the machine back over... and tried to call for someone to help but I couldnt even talk really... not one of my better memories--- somehow all it cost me was a night in the hospital getting mri's and cat-scans but somehow nothing broke on me just a mild consusion and a lot of bruised ribs etc--thanks to my helmet - judging by the gouge in the helmet I would surely have been killed without it or at least vegetablized (is that a word??)--- the quad wasnt as lucky, but it is a testament to how strong the bombardier machines are built---about 1k$ worth of damage the R knuckle, R a-arm RF rim and RF strut and my dealer even covered the strut under warrenty for me to lighten the load because I didnt have insurance which was cool... I think it held up well for 600 lbs of quad and 240 lbs of me landing right on the RF tire.

anyway - lesson learned... even if you know the place where you ride like the back of your hand... dont be stupid remember to ride within your limits and the limits of the machine you are on--- and dont ASSume anything and dont go WideOpen in the dark... The headlights dont go out as far as it will take you to stop on a 600 lb utility quad...and ALWAYS wear a helmet.

about 2 months later I end-o'd my buddies v-force 700 catching a little air too.. but thankfully got thrown away from the rollover... but i caught that one on tape and I guess that made that memorable anyway......someday I will get around to putting that video on the net.

Old 03-30-2004, 09:47 PM
Pro Rider

ok i have had a bunch of crashes but only 1 real bad 1, on my yz125[dirtbike] and lukily none on my new 400ex [knock on wood] i was goin out for a mid winter power lines ride with all my buddies on quads. i was goin down a windy trail in third gear and there was a sharp turn straight ahead of me with a big berm. i couldnt notice it at the time but under all the leavs there was a patch of ice rite in front of the berm. i took the inside of the turn and hit the patch of ice wich made my front tire useless, and needless to say i launched rite over the top of that berm goin pretty fast. i was sent over the handle bars fast and bruised my left thigh pretty bad. i hit the ground hard face first rite on the rocky frozen ground. the mouthpeice of my helmet and my visor were shattered and my googles got trashed. my entire face for almost a week after was swollen and bruised. i had minor scraps and cuts on my arms and sholders but other than that i was ok. the bike faired pretty well only suffering a broken clutch lever, bent radiator mounts, scratched plastic and tweaked bars. and then to top it all of, after being battered from the initial crash i had no clutch lever. so gettin home was quit interesting, especially the first nuetral-to-first shift with no clutch out of the ditch behind the berm. without thinking i revved her out pretty high so it wouldnt stall out and poped it in first. needless to say i took of like a roket but once i got to the berm [obout 3 feet in fromt of me] the bike launched of it and i lost it in the air because i wasnt ready. luckily the second attempt at starting was succesful. and i made it home with no clutch only slightly bruised and cut. i think the biggest anoince of all tho was the big rip in the front of my jeans from the bolt on my killswitch that let in every gust of 30 degree wind in there was

Old 03-30-2004, 11:14 PM
Trailblazer

has anyone ever hit a five foot deep ditch on a racher in 4th gear?...ouch...happend so fast i didnt know what happend...really messed up the fourwheeler and i still have a bump on my side 2 years later form it

Old 05-22-2004, 05:50 PM
Trailblazer

Well thankfully my crashes wern't to bad. My first crash was on my dads Kodiak 400. I didn't know there was a drop off in front of me so naturally I sped up, I hit the drop off landed on the front wheels threw me off the quad and the quad bounced off of my back and caused two disks to slip out and I was in the hospital for a week. My second crash actually is a pretty funny one. I was on my old 400EX goin up a steep table top, didn't get the required speed and the rear tire hit to top of it, launchin it nose down, my foot was caught under the shift lever and when I went over the handlebars the shift lever broke my foot. Once I came to I saw the quad rolling away...lol still in gear I got back on and stayed in 3rd gear the whole way home....no shifting for me!

Old 05-23-2004, 04:20 AM
Pro Rider

O.K. I got one for you guys I was running in an open field on my dale with 3 ft grass on both sides of me. I was running 4th gear tapped out and decided to look behind me to see where a buddy was with his raptor. I hit a rut and it pulled me into the high grass on the sides of the trail. the quad flipped end over end and hit me twice. Jumped onto the back of my buddies raptor to get back out of the field becasue I thought i just broke my nose(ALWAYS strap you helmet!!!) when we got to his house I started haveing trouble breathing. the ambulence came and took me to the hospitol. There after the MRI the Doc said "the good news is you have 7 broken ribs the bad news is two of your vertibre are cracked and ones completely crushed" well after 7 hours of sergery a titanium fixture in my back and a plastic fixture to keep my sinus open it took only six months for me to get back to work full duty.

Old 05-24-2004, 12:17 PM
Pro Rider

just a couple of weeks ago 5-16 me and a guy were racing down a trail i was in 5t doing 50-55 i didn't know the turn up ahead was so sharp locked up all the tire on the pred and i flew 20-25 ft. of the side of a ditch that was about 15 ft. deep. the front of the pred hit a big rock which then i flew forward about ten feet then landed on a boulder on my chest and stomach, then the bike landed straight on my back and legs. i broke off my ac bumper crumpled my skid plate bent the frame a tie rod the piece that holds the tie rods together broke. Broke all the front plastick and head lights, blew a front tire and u know what after all that the bike still fired right up. and as far as me i had all my gear on thank god so despite a non paralizing broken back besides a bunch of bumps and bruses i am fine. all the parts are on order and i will be up at dumont memorial day weekend. and the wreck was so bad i have had a couple of nightmares since the wreck. i will alway ride slow on trails i am not 100% sure about.

Old 05-25-2004, 12:49 AM
Pro Rider

I have only rolled my rancher a couple of times. That thing is tough only bent handle bars. Hopefully I won't do the same t my z. Becuase if I do it's going t hurt. I only ride that thing full throttle on the days that end with y.

Old 05-25-2004, 09:20 PM
Pro Rider

ive never wrecked THAT bad but just like little spills

Old 05-26-2004, 11:53 AM
Pro Rider

I made this had this homeaid flat track out by my house...and it rained one day so I went to play...well some areas it got some good tire ruts...well on a dry day I went riding overthere and I was doing about 30 and going around a turn where I'm use to sliding the rearend around...well it slid for a second then my front tire hit one the ruts and my rear tire got caught in it also so it grabbed traction and threw me about 12 feet off the quad into some sticker bushes...it knocked me out for a few minutes at least and my upside down about 15 foot away from the turn....I just had tons of cuts and I bruised my ribs real bad...I'm just glad I had my helmet on that day because I usually don't wear it when riding around the house.

Quick Reply: Worst crash ever!!