Sport Quads Discussions on sport quads.

Whats the steepest hill you have ever climbed and/or been down?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2003, 11:31 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whats the steepest hill you have ever climbed and/or been down?

Bradracer, if you look at a protractor it should clear this question up.

Old 10-02-2003, 12:14 AM
Pro Rider

Are you sure you arent talking about an 85degree hill?a 95 does seem like it would be harder to climb with the hill pushing you away from it.ive looked at a protractor and a 95 degree hill has an angle similar to this, \

Old 10-05-2003, 12:52 AM
Pro Rider
It's official, I've been duning for over 30 years.

I have to wonder about these beyond verticle climbs. I understand momentum keeps you against the hill for awhile, but after a few feet you rebound off. One of the crusty vids had a guy climbing what looked like a verticle cliff, he landed on the top by about a foot and a half. The steepest climb I have done was a riverbank about 10' to 12' and was beyond verticle at the top with a shelf of loose rock overhanging at the top. We were messing around at night and trying to best each other. My front tire would punch through the crust (dirtbike). We came back in the daylight and saw how steep it was. Neither of us would try it in the daylight.

Old 10-05-2003, 12:17 PM
Elite Pro Rider

i can tell you guys aren't carpenters, you might hit a 90 degree for a short while but gravity will take over.

Old 10-06-2003, 12:52 PM
Pro Rider

You could hit a 90 degree + incline for about 3-5 feet tops but it could be done. There are two things that would keep you on the hill.

1. The centrifical force of the transition (the bend and the bottom of the hill) keeps you pasted to the hill but will wear off if the climb is to long. Watch a skateboarder ride a half-pipe and you will see what I mean. A 12 foot skateboard ramp has about 1-2 feet of verticle. The centrifical force generated by the transition keep the rider stuck to the ramp even at + 90 degrees.

2. Another thing that helps is the decceleration torque created by the rear tires. E.g. as the rider runs up the hill, when he hit the steepest part he lets of the gas and coasts up the hill. This causes the weight to shift to the front. When Climbing a sheer cliff, I would run at it in 2nd at 3/4 to full throttle, when I hit the verticle part of the climb I would let off the gas and the bike would shoot straight up in the air. If I was too verticle, as I cleared the edge of the climb I would tap the rear brake while in the air to get the front end to go down.

Pretty hair stuff, I'm to old to be doing this now but as a kid I would climb anything.

Old 10-06-2003, 05:21 PM
Shed Knocker Rider
Harley Punk!
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hey sparxs277, u ride at haspin a lot? Ive riddin all up and down the devils backbone, 2 and 4 wheels. Main keys are to keep momentum while dodging rocks. I looks more intimidating than anything. Although I have seen a lot of nice quads roll back down the backbone and get destroyed.

Old 10-06-2003, 05:39 PM
Pro Rider

motox, yeah i was just there yesterday. they are having races the next 3 weekends, so i have heard. conditions were pretty good, not to dusty. a guy was trying to climb the backbone with no helmet and a beer buzz and it did not turn out good for him. when i arrived the ambulance was just getting there. he was at the half way point.
i agree, you really have to watch the rocks when climbing it but the backbone is not really that steep.
later sparx

Old 10-06-2003, 08:58 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Hey sparkx, im pretty sure that a 95 degree angle, in this instance, is more than a 90 degree angle. Its fun to make a younger kid look like an idiot, but im right, your wrong. My information comes from my engineering professor at Iowa State University. Face it im right, but if we cant argue this wouldnt be any fun would it

Old 10-06-2003, 09:28 PM
Pro Rider

the way i was thinking was that if you were approaching a 90 degree angle,(hill) and you are starting the climb and the hill starts to shelf back would that not be say 85 or whatever the case may be? that said lets find a 4 or 5 story building and you can climb it, or better yet your professor can climb it with you.
later sparx

Old 10-06-2003, 09:37 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

well Sparkx, so what you are saying is that you are wrong and are afraid to admit it, thus you are going to make a stupid statement of which is a complete judge of your character and problem solving skills. Well i hope you grow up someday, uhhh doesn't look likely.... you drive a Honda....that says a lot in itself. Next time you "try" to out smart someone, plan and revise what you are going to type first.

Quick Reply: Whats the steepest hill you have ever climbed and/or been down?