Sport Quads Discussions on sport quads.

Whats the steepest hill you have ever climbed and/or been down?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2003, 11:57 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whats the steepest hill you have ever climbed and/or been down?

The steepest hill ive been down was at a friends, this hill is more than 90 degrees, front wheels touch before the back wheels do. The steepest hill ive climbed was about 70 and kept getting steeper and about 87 to 90 degrees at the top.Sheerider17 has been down this same hill too. Whats your steepest hill climb or what youve gone down?

Old 09-18-2003, 12:20 AM
Pro Rider

Is it possible to ride up something more than 90 degrees? Or is it just a hill you ride down??

Old 09-18-2003, 12:34 AM
Pro Rider

Honda racer, a 90 degree hill is cliff - did you drive off a cliff? I'd like to know how you measure the angles of the hills you are describing.

Old 09-18-2003, 01:01 AM
Pro Rider

OK, let me describe the hill for all you disbelievers out there, of course it is possible, if you get a run at the hill, then when you start going up, you still have momentum pushing you into the hill which when you get to the top of the hill where there is about a 1 ft section of 90 degree angle to go up, you are being shot up, and with the little bit of momentum left, you go over the hill and onto the ledge, therefore i climbed the hill and made it over on my banshee.I promise you i made it up the hill, ask sportyrox if he ever gets his pc fixed. As for the possible 90-93 degree hill me and sheerider went down, it is not like driving off a building and hitting the ground predfan, there is a small part at the bottom of the 'cliff' where the front wheels touch then it starts to level out. If you know how to manuever yourself and quad over obstacles, there is not much you cant go up or down, trust me.

******I WILL POST PICS OF THE HILL ASAP, acctually i should go there this weekend to help build a track. i might not get to get a shot of me going down it, but will try hard to(about a 60% chance i will be able to ride on the land) get one of me going down, my friends uncle is building a house and is grading, he is one of the guys who complained about me turning around in the road in one of my other threads. we should be able to get a good pic of it.****** If you think it is not possible to go down a 90+degree hill, then you will sh*t yourself lol. I am very accurate at measurements and i am taking a class (Euclidean Geometry) that covers degrees etc,etc.

Old 09-18-2003, 01:04 AM
Pro Rider

BTW, photo 6, the hill to the left isnt anything compared to the hill i climbed, but it looks pretty fun.

Old 09-30-2003, 08:10 AM
Pro Rider

I have seen people do the 90 degree downhill ie cliff hanging. It is possible and not for the faint at heart. Only thing I got to say is get on it and learn to finesse your machine. We have no sand bowls here and they pile dirt up to the edge of cliffs and use them as bowls. Pretty cool actually if you ever see those guys doing that sort of thing but not for me as a big ole Prairie would probably say have I showed you who weighs more latley LOL...

Old 09-30-2003, 12:30 PM
Range Rover

Steepest hills iv done are around 75 to 80 degrees i think, i love hill climbing. I have seen this guy i know climb a straight up hill on his 77 yamaha 400 dirtbike, thing is a peice of crap, but he climbed this hill on it, took him about 10 tries and alot of bruises though lol.

Old 10-01-2003, 12:48 AM
Pro Rider

Its not really a simple answer. I’ve gone up a lot of 5 ft hills that were 90 degrees + and a few in the 10 ft ballpark that were straight up. The all out steepest hill I’ve ever gone up or down was around 20-25 ft at 90 degrees with a few feet inverted slightly in the middle, the only reason I did that is because I went down it not realizing there was no other way to get my quad back out so I had to go back up. The steepest hill I’ve gone up by choice that was very long was probably more like 70 degrees.

I’ve seen my friends go up 50 ft hills that went to 90 a little past half way. I saw 2 crazy guys on Banshees go up a 30 ft that was inverted after 10 ft. It was probably 95 or so, but rounded at the very top. They would hit it real hard then after they went airborne of the top they would shove the front end down and land on the rounded part at the top.

I don’t intentionally go up anything that I don’t have a very good chance of making it up because I can’t miss the time off work if I break bones. I’m paying on credit cards, truck loan, spending to much on quads and trying to save to buy a home all at the same time so disability pay wont cut it at 2/3 of normal + insurance deductibles. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Old 10-01-2003, 10:05 PM
Pro Rider

I climbed the devils backbone a few times at Haspin Acres, the last try i totalled my warrior so i don't think i will be risking the loss of the Z any time soon. It's all about that line you take up the hill.

90 degrees is as steep as it get's, that is straight up, after 90 the angle goes down while the number increases. when you turn 180 degrees thats half a revolution. so a 95 degree hill would be a little easier than a 90.
later sparx

Old 10-01-2003, 10:12 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

no i think that you are wrong a 95 degree hill would be going not strait up but back towards you, so it would be even harder yet, more like impossible.

Quick Reply: Whats the steepest hill you have ever climbed and/or been down?