Sport Quads Discussions on sport quads.

Whats the steepest hill you have ever climbed and/or been down?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2003, 09:49 PM
Shed Knocker Rider
Harley Punk!
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Whats the steepest hill you have ever climbed and/or been down?

Hey Bradracer, what room do you have to talk, you drive a polaris for godsakes you dumb*$$. You cant get know lower than a polaris!
And by the way, when your are talking about the incline of a hill you measure the angle coming towards you, therefor 95 degrees would come back at you and sparx was right your wrong. I think your the one who needs to be a little more smart when you speek. You are the type of person who makes atv riders look bad man, so dont bash fellow riders!!!!!!

Old 10-06-2003, 09:51 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

your maturity shows with your personal attack against someones character whom you have never met and know nothing about accept i ride 4 wheelers. where did you get Honda from, genius? did you see a question mark after my last response, was i wrong, i don't know i will ask bradracer and the professor. sure "they" can clear it up. the truth is kid i have grown up and if you don't like the results well who the hell asked you anyway.

Old 10-06-2003, 10:03 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Ok guys, I didnt mean to insult you. sorry. Yeah i drive Polaris quads, and am very willing to show you that you have no room to talk either. but that is beside the point, you still measure the hill as i said and everyone else said, Sparkx just had the degree wrong that is all. but maybe i am incorrect. Yes i do judge character by what machine people choose to drive, mostly because when us Polaris riders are at the track everyone looks at us like we are in a whole different game, but really we can keep up too. And the professor thing was just something i said to show my source, and if you want to question someone with 9 years of college schooling then go ahead. I dont make atv riders look bad either, while in here everyone has a say and what we say may not be politically correct but i realize that everyone is a rider and i respect that. And as for you comment of being smart when i speak, or type in this case, my information is correct and i am surely not the one who is typing words like: speek, know, while they should be speak and no. But i am the one who is stupid and a dumbass, your right.

Old 10-06-2003, 11:24 PM
Pro Rider

so why did you decide to make going to college a career? most people get there degree and go out in to the job force, must be an immature thing huh? you know working. so if you want to bust someones chops about spelling, look at your last post,"and as for you comment of being smart" if you can't type a sentence that makes sense i wouldn't comment on spelling.
or are you an english major as well as a geometric genius.
not everyone can afford 90% of a decade of schooling, might i suggest communications skills for your next class because you obviously have none. good luck being a professional student and a P.I.T.A.
later sparx

Old 10-06-2003, 11:44 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Dear Mr. Sparkx,
I am not an English major, but an engineering major. I am only going to school for 5 years. I am sure that i can handle the math side of things. English is not a huge deal to me, but if u comment on me i will in turn comment on you. What kind of schooling do you have??? You seem to be VERY smart about everything. I have worked hard up until this point in my life, and now a person has to go to college if he/she wants a good job. I wouldn't preach too much about you working hard, i have done my fair share too and plan to after i have graduated. I tried to apologize but you didn't seem to understand it as an apology. My professor did take 90% of a decade in schooling, but who are you to criticize him?? He make 180,000 dollars a year, so I would say it paid off.

Old 10-07-2003, 01:30 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: trx250Rob
You could hit a 90 degree + incline for about 3-5 feet tops but it could be done. There are two things that would keep you on the hill.

1. The centrifical force of the transition (the bend and the bottom of the hill) keeps you pasted to the hill but will wear off if the climb is to long. Watch a skateboarder ride a half-pipe and you will see what I mean. A 12 foot skateboard ramp has about 1-2 feet of verticle. The centrifical force generated by the transition keep the rider stuck to the ramp even at + 90 degrees.

2. Another thing that helps is the decceleration torque created by the rear tires. E.g. as the rider runs up the hill, when he hit the steepest part he lets of the gas and coasts up the hill. This causes the weight to shift to the front. When Climbing a sheer cliff, I would run at it in 2nd at 3/4 to full throttle, when I hit the verticle part of the climb I would let off the gas and the bike would shoot straight up in the air. If I was too verticle, as I cleared the edge of the climb I would tap the rear brake while in the air to get the front end to go down.

Pretty hair stuff, I'm to old to be doing this now but as a kid I would climb anything.
But skateboards do not have springs. On a quad, your springs will compress when you hit the hill. When they decompress, that pushes you away from the hill.

These are photos of my steepest hill climb, in sand. You can see my friend on the raptor never made it. It's not 90 degrees, but the soft sand makes it very challenging.
http://www.photo.net/photodb/folder?folder_id=330467

Old 10-07-2003, 02:36 PM
Trailblazer

I was down in the Old man's cave area of southern Ohio (Mead property)and went up a hill at about a 70-80 degree angle and must have been 150 to 200 hundred feet high. The hard part was in the middle of the hill. A large root came across it and to clear it would mean to go over 90 degrees. We had to seriously commit and when I hit the root, it lauched me strait up in the air and I grabed on the other side. For two days, I had hemroids. Never had them before and never had them since. I thought it was amazing but when I went back to the area this year and looked at the hill...I knew I didnt ever want to try it again. Its a heavily wooded area and it looks to be more for trials and moto bikes judging by the ruts. I saw broken bike parts all over the place.

Oh.....My Polaris took that hill (in 4 wheel) and a few of my friends (Honda, Yamaha) didnt. I would say that it was the rider but I know that wasnt the case. After the root, they rolled em. The front end of those bikes are light and all they had was rear wheel drive.

Old 10-07-2003, 03:02 PM
Pro Rider

Grenn700, the suspension does compress, but it is damped so it decompresses slower as to not kick you off. Also if you are still caught in the force of the transition, the suspension will stay compressed until you creast the top.

A non suspended atv will have a slight advantage on a smooth hillclimb.

Old 10-07-2003, 05:00 PM
Pro Rider

Bradracer, i deal with 15,30,45, and 90 degree bends all day. the original post was about what is the steepest hill you have ever climbed. i have climbed hills that jet out a bit for a few feet and have seen it done. i am sure people in this forum have climbed them, but to set out from a dead stop and climb a 100 foot hill at 90 dgrees just is not going to happen. and if the hill is going out even more, than that is not going to happen either. 10 to 20 feet is possible, but well beyond my limitations, i always try to make it home in one piece.

so when i originally stated that 90 degrees was as steep as it gets this is what i am refering to, because we are talking about hillclimbing with a 4 wheeler, not mountain climbing. and when riding, when have you ever came across a perfect 90 where you were on a 0 degree plane to start.

and i don't think that i ever insulted your prof. i don't know him why would i do that? I was under the assumption that you had been going to school for 9 years.
later sparx