Sport Quads Discussions on sport quads.

Safer: Quads or Dirt bikes???

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2003, 05:00 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Safer: Quads or Dirt bikes???

What about in motocross or woods racing conditions? Do you think the dirt bikes or the quads require more skill when racing?

Old 10-10-2003, 05:10 PM
Pro Rider

I think bikes take more skill...in almost any type of riding

Old 10-10-2003, 05:53 PM
Trailblazer

Bikes are much faster. When I went riding with some friends last weekend, they were stating how slow the dirt bikes were going and how the area we were riding was better for quads. It was wooded trails with a lot of room to pass even another quad.

I said they only think that way because they dont see any dirt bikes passing us and that it just goes to show that the bikes that we did see that day were sporting poor riders. When I go riding with my cousin (pro rider) and his Honda 250 bike, I have NO WAY to keep up with him on my quad. The man is like a deer in the woods. If you can haul a$$ on a bike and ride it well, there is no need to even own a quad.

I feel that bikes are more dangerous. Why? Speed...Just my 2 cents

Old 10-10-2003, 06:48 PM
Pro Rider

Dang it, ya'll are reminding me how much fun they were. I'm gettin the urge to get one now. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 10-10-2003, 06:59 PM
Pro Rider

I'll be throwing my leg over a motorcycle for the next few months...ahhh nothing but broken bars and levers...no bent rims, cracked frames, messed up front end geometry

Old 10-10-2003, 07:21 PM
Trailblazer

I have mixed feelings on this issue. My 7 year old son has a small quad he rides all the time. A friend of his brought his Jr50 bike over to ride around the house one day this past summer. Before the friend had left he had crashed 4 times! Nothing to bad but bruised up quite a bit. It wasn't b/c of speed, i think bikes just take more skill.

I think that part of the problem is that people do not show the same respect for possible dangers with quads than they do bikes. I mean if giving the choice, someone that has never rode any type of offroad vehicle will choose a quad. Just b/c the learning curve seems to be much easier. That is when I think people get hurt. They think that they can go FASTER SOONER! When actually, to control a quad at faster speeds takes quite some time to master.

Old 10-11-2003, 01:19 AM
Pro Rider

quads and dirtbikes r equally dangerous. quads have less chace of falling, but when u do fall it i generally much worse, whereas on a dirtbike u have lots of little falls that jus beat u up, instead of one big one. both take equal amounts of skill, quads require more leaning and moving around, and dirtbikes you have to worry ur balance and u can't powerslide through turns. whoever says that one takes more skill than the other was dead wrong.

Old 10-11-2003, 10:26 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Each machine has it's own advantages in certain types of terrain. There is a place at Ocotillo Wells (near Devils Slide), where the road gradually but imperceptibly goes from hard pack to deep sand. It fools you! No big deal on a quad, because we just float along on the surface. But, on a big weekend, they might as well just park an ambulance there, because the dirt bikes go way to fast, and go down all the time. Usually, broken collar bones from taking a header!!!

Old 10-11-2003, 11:22 AM
Pro Rider

How did your friends get hurt on thier quads? Was it a colision with another machine or a improper riding technique. Ive been riding for more than 20 years and have seen and been involved in several accidents and crashes but all of them were from doing something we shouldnt. Lack of skill and commom sense were the cause of most of them. I wouldnt blame the machine for any of them.

Old 10-12-2003, 03:14 AM
Pro Rider

EXACTLY..

Quick Reply: Safer: Quads or Dirt bikes???