Sport Quads Discussions on sport quads.

Safer: Quads or Dirt bikes???

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2003, 11:33 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Safer: Quads or Dirt bikes???

I was just wondering if you guys think a sport quad or dirt bike would be safer for trail riding (no mx) and why? (obviously neither are low risk activities) I'm a fan of any type of dirt riding, but with a few friends getting hurt on quads recently, I wondered if there was any merit in going with two less wheels. Cheers,

-Mark

Old 10-10-2003, 05:05 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You'll crash more often on a dirt bike but you run the risk of the quad landing on you. Either way the risk is there but I would say overall the quad is safer

Old 10-10-2003, 05:30 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think a big crash on a quad will be worse than on a dirt bike, but big crashes are actually very rare. But, dirt bikers have hundreds of little crashes that quads never have.

It's a good idea to wear all the protective gear you can pile on, no matter what you ride!!

Old 10-10-2003, 09:12 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Dirt bikes require some skill.....where atv's require very little. THis is why we see kids getting hurt on atv's.....how often do we hear of a kid getting hurt on a bike compared too an atv? The weight of the atv and size is the problem when a wreck occurs.

Old 10-10-2003, 09:39 AM
Pro Rider

Dirt bikes require some skill.....where atv's require very little.
That's why they're so popular... just need to know how to sit and move your thumb to ride one. That's not to say that going fast well is easy on quads. I can jump much further on my bike than I can the quad. Running a quad fast takes some real skill. I'd dare say that the overwhelming majority of quad riders have very little skill if any.

Now, I've found that for tight trails the quad (YFZ) is an absolute blast and far exceeds the fun factor on a bike.

The weight of the atv and size is the problem when a wreck occurs.
Bigtime. Those two front wheels in a way actually stabilize the quad during and endo, for instance, and causes it to follow you. I've only gone down once on the YFZ and fortunately I got spit off to the side. Still hurt like a mof, but at least the quad didn't come after me.

In general, one has got to have their "head out" regardless of what their riding. Trails? I like the quad. Sand? I like the quad. Track? I like the bike. Wear your protective gear and ride within your limits.

selector

Old 10-10-2003, 12:20 PM
Pro Rider

Bikes are much more dangerous. If you are asking why, then I think you need to take a safety course cause you have a lot to learn.

Old 10-10-2003, 12:24 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Originally posted by: DEMag
Bikes are much more dangerous. If you are asking why, then I think you need to take a safety course cause you have a lot to learn.
Please elaborate? In an accident, another 200lbs atop of you is safer?

Old 10-10-2003, 12:32 PM
RIP Dear Friend

Originally posted by: garyc660R
Dirt bikes require some skill.....where atv's require very little.
Dirtbikes are safer.

I had over 25 years experience on dirtbikes before I purchased my first quad and right at first I always wanted to stick my foot out when going around sharp corners or leaning the quad. I figured out pretty fast you do not want to do that or a broken leg/ankle will occur.

I like both quads and dirtbikes but I will always be a better rider now and into the near future on the KDX.

Chet

Old 10-10-2003, 04:03 PM
Pro Rider

Dirtbikes are safer...they don't allow you to ride to far in front of your skill level...a quad on the other hand won't bite back until you are to far gone

Old 10-10-2003, 04:46 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: garyc660R
Originally posted by: DEMag
Please elaborate? In an accident, another 200lbs atop of you is safer?
How many times does a quad actually roll over on you as opposed to someone crashing a dirt bike? I've been through knee surgery and several broken bones from crashing a bike. I don't know how many times I've been to the emergency room because of riding, but it is a lot more then I care to remember. I have yet to sustain an injury from riding a quad. People on bikes crash much more then quad riders and thats simply because its much easier to fall off a bike. And falling sometimes = injuries. So less accidents on quads means less injuries, which means they are safer to operate.

Quick Reply: Safer: Quads or Dirt bikes???