Sport Quads Discussions on sport quads.

Drag Race question

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2003, 10:41 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drag Race question

I need an honest opion here...

In a Drag race between a piped and filtered YZF 450......

and...... a Honda 400ex with 440kit... ported....and.. polished...head.... edelebrock carb..... pipe..... filter.... hotcam .....high comp piston...... who would be the victor?????????

Old 11-01-2003, 04:11 AM
Pro Rider

yzf450 will most likely take the win, run up against quite a few already, you better have a $4000 plus motor in the 440 to compete

Old 11-01-2003, 07:59 AM
Trailblazer

What about at 250R with all the goodies and a 330 kit on that bad boy would that take a YZF

Old 11-01-2003, 09:45 AM
Pro Rider

ok lol. My 250R with a pipe, filter, shaved head is faster than a yfz... look in my pictures and look at my time slip. No yfz with just a pipe is ganna go that fast. They go abiout 5.8 stock. A 330R by the way goes 4.8 witch would make that yfz eat some serious rooster tails.

seriously thow my R only has a pipe, filter, and shaved head. (of corse its been jetted right and geared right and all...)

Old 11-01-2003, 12:34 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Originally posted by: dragracer789
ok lol. My 250R with a pipe, filter, shaved head is faster than a yfz... look in my pictures and look at my time slip. No yfz with just a pipe is ganna go that fast. They go abiout 5.8 stock. A 330R by the way goes 4.8 witch would make that yfz eat some serious rooster tails. seriously thow my R only has a pipe, filter, and shaved head. (of corse its been jetted right and geared right and all...)
THats about what I have noticed the 450's running....or even slower. I think it's tough too throw a blanket statement out that all 330r's run a 4.8...maybe some do and some no-doubt don't. Some are slammed too the ground with a wheelie bar and some are not. With your mods listed, your 250r would be lucky too be making high 30's power wise......also, I don't think the original poster was comparing quads specifically set up for sand dragging ONLY.....IE....paddle tires and slammed too the ground....a YFZ would pick up a ton of time too with those mods. If you would add slammed and paddle tires too "piped, filtered, and head shaved" your statements would sound much more practical. A completely stock 250r with only a pipe should get mauled by a piped YFZ...asuming pretty equal riders.

Old 11-02-2003, 12:59 PM
Pro Rider

yes i know that. I was comparing them both with same mods. (ie- paddles gearing tied down ect)

and when i dont race my quad (it is NOT set up for drags) im trial riding it so dont say my R is "built" for the drags because it really isnt. Mabey you just ahve never seen a 250R with a good rebuild job/ break in job, With proper jetting. And yes a 330 is usually from 4.7-4.9... unless your a bone head and dont know how to drive.

and your point is that i have about 35 horse power is??........... do you not think that is good for a biek that only wieghs 315 pounds?

Old 11-03-2003, 08:46 AM
Elite Pro Rider

yes i know that. I was comparing them both with same mods. (ie- paddles gearing tied down ect)and when i dont race my quad (it is NOT set up for drags) im trial riding it so dont say my R is "built" for the drags because it really isnt. Mabey you just ahve never seen a 250R with a good rebuild job/ break in job, With proper jetting. And yes a 330 is usually from 4.7-4.9... unless your a bone head and dont know how to drive. and your point is that i have about 35 horse power is??........... do you not think that is good for a biek that only wieghs 315 pounds?
You have probably picked up at least a half second with the paddles and being tied down.....which is great. You posted earlier that stock YFZ's run a high 5 (which I have seen and agree with)....now are you posting that they run a high 5 second run with YOUR SAME MODS? You are contradicting yourself. When your front end is 3 inches off the ground what else are you set up for? Actually, what a 330 runs does'nt really matter too this thread. I was only making a point that a stock 250r with a pipe will not run off and leave a YFZ as you indicated yours does...but you should have posted that yours was tied down and with paddle tires too do this. How about finding a track and measuring lap times between your drag set-up and a stock YFZ? Not a fair comparism...right?

Old 11-03-2003, 03:46 PM
Pro Rider

Ok, The yfz that i saw/raced with WAS TIED DOWN AND HAD PADDLES(sry i wasnt that detailed).... and my R IS NOT SET UP FOR DRAGS. It dose not have top end performance parts on it, it has a mid range in frame pipe........so this is how it is.

my 250R- paddles, tied down, pipe, filter, thiner head gasket-------- goes hi 5.4 low 5.5

yfz- paddles, tied down--------------------------------------------------------goes hi 5.7 low 5.8
add a pipe,a nd shave the head to the yfz and i dont know if it would be tied or if mine would still be faster.

and the only reason why i tie mine down is so it wont wheelie as much. you will get better traction with suspention. I mean if you had a bike just for drags then you should tie it down anyway, but it dosent really make a big diffrence. well not to mine anyway.

are you just mad that your raptor wont go as fast as those two bikes with the same mods? or are you mad that 80's technology is still out doing todays>?

Old 11-03-2003, 04:04 PM
Pro Rider

Yeah i am a witness to that i was there with dragracer and the YFZ was tied down and had paddles and still no comparision to a 250R with the same mods. i wouldent just say that cuz i myself own a yamaha but they were lined up all day i wasent suprized though.

Old 11-03-2003, 04:32 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Ok, The yfz that i saw/raced with WAS TIED DOWN AND HAD PADDLES(sry i wasnt that detailed).... and my R IS NOT SET UP FOR DRAGS. It dose not have top end performance parts on it, it has a mid range in frame pipe........so this is how it is.my 250R- paddles, tied down, pipe, filter, thiner head gasket-------- goes hi 5.4 low 5.5yfz- paddles, tied down--------------------------------------------------------goes hi 5.7 low 5.8add a pipe,a nd shave the head to the yfz and i dont know if it would be tied or if mine would still be faster.
THanks for clearing that up about the stock YFZ (no pipe) being slammed in front and having paddle tires. Odd he had paddle tires and no pipe....but that was his decision I suppose. If your R is not set up for drags, then what is it set up for? Nothing?

Originally posted by: dragracer789No yfz with just a pipe is ganna go that fast
This wording earlier makes it seem the YFZ you ran was in fact piped....and you are not sure now as too whether your 250r is in fact quicker than a piped YFZ that has paddles and slammed....right?
Originally posted by: dragracer789and the only reason why i tie mine down is so it wont wheelie as much. you will get better traction with suspention. I mean if you had a bike just for drags then you should tie it down anyway, but it dosent really make a big diffrence. well not to mine anyway.
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Originally posted by: dragracer789are you just mad that your raptor wont go as fast as those two bikes with the same mods? or are you mad that 80's technology is still out doing todays>?
Any properly piped and jetted Raptor in the same DRAG configuration...ie slammed and paddle tires should run right with a piped 250r or YFZ.
Just trying too get the facts straight.

Quick Reply: Drag Race question