Sport Quads Discussions on sport quads.

Maxis Razr VS. Stock Dunlops. READ...

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2004, 08:32 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Maxis Razr VS. Stock Dunlops. READ...

Just finished a good ride in the new snow. I recently purchased new Razr and studded them. A friend decided to stay with the stock Dunlops that came on his 3 week old Z400. (I have a KFX 400, so machines are the same.) Anyway we both have the same bike's, same studs just different tires. He was driving around me like I had a pair of drag slicks on. We both couldn't believe it. I mean he plowed through everything and I just kept getting stuck. On the hard packed snow and ice he could pull the wheels up at will, me I just kept spinning. I still can't believe it. We could stop on the trails and he would pull off the trail on the side off the ski doo tracks and start off again and I'd be very slow to get going - even still on the trail. I thought it may be our driving style so we traded machines. I was amazed at the traction and we was shocked how poor my machine was. His machine even stopped and turned so much better.

Anyway I'm going to pull the Razr's off today. The POS!!! I guess I'll have to swap all the studs too!!!

Anyway, has anyone experienced this before? Are the Razr's that bad? Are the stock Dunlop's that good? Or have people found an even better snow tire to stud?

Thanks again guys,
Cory
Canada

Old 01-14-2004, 09:46 AM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The stock tires will get very good traction but they are only 2 ply tires. What that means is don't get them close to rocks. If you had a set of Razr's 2 it would be a different story. the Razr's were made for dry ground with alot of rocks to keep from getting flats.

Old 01-14-2004, 10:39 AM
Pro Rider

His tires were better to "flex" and they might had an easier time digging down into the ground to find traction being they are a taller but slimmer tire pattern. Sometimes wider is not always better[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 01-14-2004, 01:03 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: HeadRush
Just finished a good ride in the new snow. I recently purchased new Razr and studded them. A friend decided to stay with the stock Dunlops that came on his 3 week old Z400. (I have a KFX 400, so machines are the same.) Anyway we both have the same bike's, same studs just different tires. He was driving around me like I had a pair of drag slicks on. We both couldn't believe it. I mean he plowed through everything and I just kept getting stuck. On the hard packed snow and ice he could pull the wheels up at will, me I just kept spinning. I still can't believe it. We could stop on the trails and he would pull off the trail on the side off the ski doo tracks and start off again and I'd be very slow to get going - even still on the trail. I thought it may be our driving style so we traded machines. I was amazed at the traction and we was shocked how poor my machine was. His machine even stopped and turned so much better.

Anyway I'm going to pull the Razr's off today. The POS!!! I guess I'll have to swap all the studs too!!!

Anyway, has anyone experienced this before? Are the Razr's that bad? Are the stock Dunlop's that good? Or have people found an even better snow tire to stud?

Thanks again guys,
Cory
Canada

You just had the same thing happen to you that happen to me last winter. I had a Predator with the Razor's and my brother had his stock Z-400 tires, in which both were studded. He was walking circles around me, and was doing wheelies with ease, I just spun and went no where.

Old 01-15-2004, 12:11 AM
Trailblazer

My razr's suck, I am not very happy with them, we got snow and I took them out on my 400ex (unstuded) in about 5 inches of snow, I could barely get going, then I took my dads praire 650 (in 2wheel drive) with stock, almost bald trailwolfs and it went everywere! The razrs suck in harpack mud or slippery hardpack too!

Old 01-15-2004, 07:06 PM
Weekend Warrior

FOR SALE...
One set of barely used Maxis Razr's... Studded...

Hahahaha

Thanks for the info guys. I just finished studding the stock tires and I'll keep the Razr's for the summer.

Cheers,
Cory

Old 01-15-2004, 10:18 PM
Range Rover

how much pressure you guys running? i have been running 1.5 and they do alright

Old 01-15-2004, 10:25 PM
Weekend Warrior

Wow that's pretty low. Perhaps that may help as well.

Thanks,
Cory

Old 01-15-2004, 11:10 PM
Pro Rider

or you could try the RAZR2s, they are meant more for slipery conditions.

Old 01-15-2004, 11:27 PM
Pro Rider

The Ohtsu Radial tires (On the 400EX's and DS650's) and the the Dunlop Radial tires (Raptor and Z400) are about the BEST winter riding tires for a sport quad. The prowedges and 4 snows do well in a straight line but are way to squishy for aggressive riding like I do. Ohtsu radial and Dunlop radial tires all the way for ANY sport quad! They're light and hook up AWESOME in the snow, no if's and's or but's!

Quick Reply: Maxis Razr VS. Stock Dunlops. READ...