Sport Quads Discussions on sport quads.

400 ex or z 400

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2004, 05:06 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 400 ex or z 400

I don't know how the Z400 does in cold. But the 400ex is a little (notice i said a little) picky in cold until you have been riding it for about and hour and she's warmed up. But once you get her going. She loves the cold air.

Old 04-11-2004, 05:10 PM
Pro Rider
Default 400 ex or z 400

Originally posted by: Superballs5337
thats what im saying, there is nothing wrong with the ex/ltz/fkx/dvx but the last 3 are liqued cooled which is better then fan(dont even argue its not cause it is) it has reverse if u like reverse and its more updated. the ex is good but a dinosaur.
Reverse is over rated, how often do you actually use it? Use your arms and pick up the machine, it's only 375pds. Heck my buddy has had his Preditor stuck in Water past my riding boots, with snow on top of the water, it took some muscle but we got it out.

Not to mention liquid cooling is just one more thing that could possibly brake down.

Old 04-11-2004, 05:11 PM
Pro Rider
Default 400 ex or z 400

Originally posted by: maddog56
No, he doesnt mean fin, he just doesnt know what he's talking about. Check on your pred. Its liquid cooled, but theres probably a fan too.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

What you mean is air cooled. Now, technically an air cooled engine of the same size and design will make less hp than a liquid cooled one. That said, there is a lot of extra weight and hardware associated with liquid cooling. Radiators, hoses, impellers, resiviours, etc. AZsand has a 465ex that he runs in the desert dunes all the time and he states he never has problems with over heating. The 400ex does an excellent job of cooling itself. There are a lot more possible problems that can leave you stranded on the trail with a liquid cooled engine. No coolant, hose rips/breaks, impeller shreds, stick through the radiator, etc. None of that is possible with the ex.

Its something that a lot of people dont think about when they look at atvs. They simply assume liquid cooling is better and leave it at that. When you have a medium bore quad like a 400 air cooling has no problem getting the job done, especially with the auxilary fan, which is what I am assuming superballs was reffering to.
Well Said

Old 04-12-2004, 12:42 PM
Pro Rider
Default 400 ex or z 400

get the z exs are bitches

Old 04-12-2004, 11:29 PM
Pro Rider
Default 400 ex or z 400

radfast, you have no clue what you are talking about! your a bitch so shut your trap!

Old 04-14-2004, 03:12 PM
Trailblazer
Default 400 ex or z 400

If you are choosing between the Z and EX, I say go with the Z. I bought my Z new last december and I was debating which to buy(Z or EX). The biggest selling feature for me was the reverse on the Z. 99% of my riding is rippin thru the trails with a little bit of playing in sand pits. So the reverse comes in real handy. Of course you have to way the reliabilty factor in there to. The Z's have had their problems with frames breaking, but they supposedly fixed this with the 03's. Whereas the EX's have proven themselves to beable to last a lifetime as long as you take care of them. As far as performance, the Z is better hands down. When my Z was stock I was beating modded EX's. But unless your going to race, I would go with the better handling bike, which I think the Z is. I noticed that you live in Nova Scotia, I live in New Brunswick. We didn't get nearly as much snow as you did, but the Z worked awesome in the snow. You won't go wrong with either one, but I think the Z is the better quad.

P.S. Just joined this site, I think it is a great forum.

Old 04-14-2004, 07:48 PM
Pro Rider
Default 400 ex or z 400

z400 is a lot better, its got reverse and more power. im afraid the 400ex is outdated

Old 04-17-2004, 12:42 AM
Default 400 ex or z 400

Why are u saying that the 400ex is outdated!!!! liquid cooling that not a big thing if honda didnt put it thats because they dont needed too. if honda did that the price of the 400ex grow and the EX is less competitive to the Z because of the price. plus,i never seen a 400ex without a big bore kit overheat and blow !!!!!!!!!!!!!!and if you talk about reverse they are so many atv without reverse (yfz,450r,blaster,ds 650 X,banshee..... and many other.The 400ex is so close to the Z in perfomance like 1 or 2 ponies. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 04-22-2004, 10:01 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default 400 ex or z 400

i Would say the 400ex, but if you want the fastest of the two go with the Z400

Old 04-22-2004, 10:54 PM
Range Rover
Default 400 ex or z 400

Originally posted by: 2untouchables690
I would have to say the 400ex is way more reliable because I never heard of the swingarm breaking on an ex and ex's start great in cold weather. Liquid cooling can be advantage but I have never heard of a 400ex overheating.
the dvx also starts great in the cold...when i got mine it was at the end of february, -10 F out...choke it and she starts fine, also does great in the snow...and my neighbor has a 400ex that we play around in his pasture with we both do fine out there, both jump good, both light and nimble, just when he tries to make a sharp turn by the creek he sometimes has to get off in the water to turn it around where as i can just back out....i've rode his also and the dvx has a little more snap, and when dragging we're about even till i hit 3rd then i kinda take off in a little spirt and get about 20-30ft ahead then it holds there till i top out then i slowly pull away cuz the top speed is a little higher, not a big deal on a track though...i also notices the wheelie/bicycle balance on the dvx is a little nicer