Sport Quads Discussions on sport quads.

front wider or back wider?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2005, 04:11 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default front wider or back wider?

even if the raptor back end is narrower than most quads? The front end looks ok, but the back end is way skinny. It seems like for the raptor, widening the back would the best thing to do at first? Correct me if I'm wrong. Thanks for all your input guys.

Old 03-06-2005, 06:19 PM
Pro Rider

try some wheel spacers on the back to see if its wide enough. if it is your ok. if it isnt than get a new axel and wider a-arms.

also it isnt a good idea to put stock shocks on wider a-arms because even if the shock mount is the same distance away your quad will sit lower than stock

Old 03-06-2005, 06:57 PM
Pro Rider

even if you adjust the preload in the front?

Old 03-06-2005, 10:15 PM
Pro Rider

in most cases it wont be because of the preload it will be because of the length of the shock. they will need a longer shock. if they dont need a longer shock the stock ones arent designed for the load they will have to go threw with the longer a-arms. they will overheat, wear out and become useless in no time.

Old 03-08-2005, 11:35 PM
Weekend Warrior

I THINK IT'S BETTER TO HAVE FRONT WHEELS WIDER THE THE BACK ONE'S....

Old 03-29-2005, 05:25 PM
Pro Rider

I broke my wrist from taking a turn too quick with the back wider than the front, go for the front first. With the rear wider it will scuff the front tires more often and understeer quite frequently. As for stock shocks with wider arms it can be done if the stockers are pretty stiff for you in the first place. I did that to my warrior before I got the new shocks and it actually gave me a comfy ride.

Old 03-31-2005, 02:54 PM
TPR
The Champ

I would definiteally go wider up front first than in the rear. The handling differences in the two mods are like night and day....wider front will make the handling more predictable, espically on the tallish Raptor, while ging wider in the rear first will cause the handling to be twitchier (is that a word??) and highlight the Rappy's high C.G. When the front end hooks up it won't be subtle and the quad will want to roll to the outside of the turn more.
There are companies that offer up to +2" a-arms that can be used in conjunction with stock shocks with the pre-load bumped up a couple of clicks. I recently tested a Z-400 with +2's using stock shocks and it worked great!!! Felt like a stock setup, only wider.
Ask the guys at Alba, they may have some recreational (More affordable for the everyday rider) level a-arms that might fit the bill.

The Phantom.....wishes he were outside right now....

Old 03-31-2005, 03:10 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Been there done that, here's what I think. I got my a arms in before my axle, +2+1. Basically what happens is the rear end swings around with the slightest twitch of the handle bars and makes you awfully close to spinning out even when you dont want to. When the rear end is wider, it wont steer worth a darn and you'll find yourself using reverse a lot more than usual. IMO, a wider front end is more rideable, but neither is desireable. You wont want to ride the bike for an extended period of time on either setup and if you arent going to be able to get the other part for a while then I would either hold off or just buy it and put it up in the garage until you can.

Now when you are talking about a more balanced width, like a +2 front and +5 rear, then I like the front end around an inch wider than the rear when someone is on the bike. When you put weight on the machine the front gets wider, and if you get ZPS shocks or otherwise drop the front end with kits or just by changing your preload then you will need to take that into account as well.