Sport Quads Discussions on sport quads.

performance of 05 pred vs. ds650.

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2005, 04:39 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default performance of 05 pred vs. ds650.

i currently ave an 03 ds650 that i absolutely love except for the no reverse. so i am thinking about trading it in for something with reverse. the only options i have are raptor, predator and z400. i dont want a raptor cause 6 of my friends have them and i want something different. z400 (not fast enough, cheapy looking IMO) so that leaves the new 05 tld predator. i know it probably wouldnt compare to my ds. wont be as comfartable, just the shear size is obviously different. I was just curious as to how the performace of the pred compares to the ds. i know the difference is 150cc but how much of a speed and power loss would i have with switching to the pred. if the ds had reverse it would be the best quad ever made (imo). but the few times i have gotten stuck with it have made me want something with reverse. just for those times i need it. I hate luggin the ds. its like 500 pounds dry.

Old 02-28-2005, 06:25 PM
Pro Rider

well if you didnt hop-up your ds..are you going to stay with stock on the Preddy?

Have you rode your friends modded or unmodded Raptors?

I was flip flopping between both quads (Rap and Pred) this past Christmas and decided to go with the quad that fit me better.

And the Pred atleast in stock form has a whole .9 mph top speed than a Raptor..wow!

I promise you wont be disappointed with either quad. Good luck and keep us updated with prices and mods.

Old 02-28-2005, 06:32 PM
Trailblazer

If u switch to the pred u will be very sry top speed ain't that much difference but the DS is much nicer and do u really expect to get unstuck because of the weak *** reverse on preds If anything u will get more stuck. If u do mostly off road driving that a quad can get stuck in i guess go with the Z400 but u will miss the spead after coming from a DS my suggestion is to either look into a sport quad which(not sure if u can get one for DS) or just start going off road with 4x4's that have winchs. If u r a hardcore off road rider u should of just got a 4x4 like a grizzly or something.

03 Ds650 Baja, Maxxis Razors, Big Gun Full System Race Series Exhaust, K&N air filter/jet kit.

02 Warrior,Maxxis Razors, FmF powercore 4 with powerbomb header,dg front bumper,dg swing arm guard,FX graphic kit/seat cover, renthal handle bars with grips.

Old 02-28-2005, 07:29 PM
Range Rover

ill be sticking with stock. i didnt have any plans for performance for the ds. just fix whatever breaks. same thing with the pred. the raptor is out of the question. The raptor is damn fast. i have ridden my friends. very nice quad. just dont want to get one cause all my friends have them.
in a side by side drag race how do they compare? i know i will be sacrificing the comfort of the ds. but i really cant stand having no reverse.

jeff

Old 02-28-2005, 08:14 PM
Pro Rider

uuumm..you wont be sacrificing comfort on the 05 Pred..TLD anyway..I've been on a 03 or 02 (cant remember which) DS..nice..I enjoyed my time on it..but it sits to high..and is to heavy with no reverse gear,which is important to me when trail riding.

I havent raced against a Raptor ...yet..Maddog has a raptor I would like to race up Bull Gap this spring/summer!

Old 02-28-2005, 09:10 PM
Range Rover

how do you like the 05 tld predator? I have heard that the only downside of the 05 pred is the seat is uncomfortable. it puts you in an uncomfortable riding position. also how is the reverse gear? i know on the raptor is has a really bad rev limiter. any type on backing up an incline my buddy will always stall.

jeff

Old 02-28-2005, 11:53 PM
Pro Rider

can i have your ds then lol no it doesn't bother me not to have a reverse and the ds is a great quad in mudding because of ground clearence

Old 03-01-2005, 12:39 AM
Pro Rider

just get the dam raptor i mean comeon the raptor is so nice and the reverse problem is so easy a monkey could fix it.

Old 03-01-2005, 07:13 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: jiffy
how do you like the 05 tld predator? I have heard that the only downside of the 05 pred is the seat is uncomfortable. it puts you in an uncomfortable riding position. also how is the reverse gear? i know on the raptor is has a really bad rev limiter. any type on backing up an incline my buddy will always stall.

jeff
Well the infamous lump in the seat is there..however it shouldnt bother you that much..you'll notice it when sliding up and down the seat..but thats about it..and you cant compare the stock suspension to any other sport quad being made today.

Yes the reverse gear is super tall..just like a Raptor..Dirt Wheels said it will go 19 MPH in reverse...yikes!

Try one out at your dealer for sure...hell try as many as you can!

Old 03-01-2005, 09:17 AM
Range Rover

my problem with the raptor is not the reverse problem. like 6 of my friends have them so i dont want to get the same quad. want something different. just like the ds. I think i have seen one other on the trail and none of my friends have them. also none have a rpedator. i just like to be different.

jeff

Quick Reply: performance of 05 pred vs. ds650.