Sport Quads Discussions on sport quads.

400EX or Warrior

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2000, 05:07 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I came here instead of the yamaha or honda forum to try and get some different opinions.

I am either going to get a 400ex or a warrior. Now the type of riding I do is pretty much a variety of everything, trails, hill climbs, dirt/gravel roads, logging roads, some sand but no dune riding.

I currently own a 99 Blaster which is on the verge of being sold, any day now. Not haveing reverse with it was never a problem, either slide the back around or get off and swing it around, very light machine.

Now with a 400ex there is a little more weight involved, but the more cc's would be nice on the 400. Another thing about the 400 I like is its wider width and length. I do some jumps, nothing major though and love to ride fast in the trails and take the corners really fast whipping the rear end around.

Im really just stuck on which quad to get, the warrior is cheaper, with reverse but little bit less CC then a 400ex. I have never ridin either mahcine, so I dont really know how they handle, but I would like one that handles good for my type of riding, going fast threw the trails, cornering at high speeds and hitting some jumps on it (small jumps) or just putting along and climbing some hills, riding along the banks of lakes, creeks, ponds, or flying down a gravel road at unreal speeds.

The Blaster should sell within this week and by next weekend I would like to have my mind made up, so help me out and well see which way I go.

Old 10-10-2000, 09:10 AM
Pro Rider

I liked the 400EX quite a bit, it jumps nice, handles great, and seems pretty quick. Besides the lack of reverse, my other complaint about the EX is you go through the gears so fast on fire roads, I kept trying to catch 6th gear.......and of course there isn't one. The 400EX has TONS of performance mods, I put a pipe, header, filter, jet kit, six pack rack, full skid, carrier skid and larger tires on mine, and I easily could have spent another 1500 bucks on performance mods. (440 Kit, IMS Tank, Front Tires, Maguira Hydraulic Clutch Kit, FMF 909 Bars, Works Shocks, etc...) I liked my 400EX a lot, it was always reliable, and in the 13 months that I owned it, I only flooded it one time and never fouled a plug.

I've ridden a stock warrior, and it had plenty of snap, plus it had reverse, and a sixth gear. The ergo's on it were okay for a guy my size. (5'10" 110 lbs) As long as you don't plan on drag racing all the time, I think the warrior might be a better option for you. Especially if you trail ride alot. I know from experiance, that it is no fun getting off the 400EX and pushing the 375 lb bike backwards.

I'd say you picked two very good machines to decide from. I think if my local Yamaha dealer hadn't been such a jerk, I would have bought the Warrior over my 400EX, but after riding the EX, well, I just liked lookin at it!

Ride safe

Old 10-10-2000, 11:51 AM
Pro Rider

I've ridden both (have a 400) and the EX is light years ahead of the Warrior. If reverse is a factor why not a 300ex?

Scott

Old 10-10-2000, 04:16 PM
Pro Rider

We own both. The 400EX is suspended soooo... much better than the Warrior. Plus, it has that extra power you need for jumps, pulling wheelies, etc. The Honda is worth the extra money!!

Old 10-10-2000, 10:16 PM
Weekend Warrior

I'VE GOT A 99 WARIOR, BUT ITS NOT STOCK I'VE DONE SOME MODS MYSELF AND I'M HERE TO TELL YOU EVEN MY BEST FRIENDS 440 PROFESSIONAL BUILT EX DOESN'T OVER DO WHAT MY WARRIOR WILL DO.DON'T GET ME WRONG THE 400 EX IS NICE IF YOU CAN DEAL WITH PUSHING IT BACKWARDS EVERYTIME YOU NEED REVERSE.I'VE RIDDEN THE ABOVE MENTIONED 440 EX AND ITS SNAPPY, BUT REMINDS ME OF A BLASTER CHASSIS WITH ALOT MORE ENGINE, SO YHERES AS MANY PROS AND CONS TO BOTH THE 400 EX AND THE WARRIOR.EITHER MACHINE WOULD BE A GOOD CHOICE.

Old 10-11-2000, 01:55 AM
Pro Rider

Thanks for the replys guys. Im really still scratching my head over which machine to buy. The only thing I can really do is go to the dealer and test out both machines and see which one is really for me.

I love sports quads and have fun flying down trails or taking it easy putting around.

Looks like I will be taking a trip to both dealers and testing out both machines.