Sport Quads Discussions on sport quads.

easiest way to wheelie

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2005, 12:39 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default easiest way to wheelie

The 400ex is the best for wheelies. The motor is a little closer to the rear than on my z, making it a little easier to keep the wheelie going. My little brother has an ex and he does 4th gear wheelies with the thing. He can ride a wheelie until he rus out of room. I'm not really that great at keeping the wheelie going. I found on my z that once I have it up to a certain point, if I keep clickin gears that's the best way to keep it going. I can keep it going in second the longest. I start the wheelie in first then when I have the front pointing to the sky I shift second (no clutch) then use the throttle and brakes to keep it there. I really haven't ridden them far, probably 100 feet.

Old 09-12-2005, 09:34 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: ihop
just sit back and nail the trottle thats what i do 265lbs and proud of it i do alot off work so im in shape i work a really lot then i quad so i not one of thes 265 kids who sit around all day and eat and take the quad out once in a while i used to do that but not anymore i work all day long the i lift wit my football team idc make fun of me but im happy wit my weight
lol...

Old 09-14-2005, 04:33 PM
Pro Rider

Z400 is my choice for a wheelie quad....

For wheelie tips check out this write up I did....

HOW TO WHEELIE

Old 09-14-2005, 09:17 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: JoshCVBz

HOW TO WHEELIE
I liked your article. I read that one before. I don't remember how I ended up there, maybe from this thread but definetely from this forum. I found it pretty interesting. When I was a kid I could wheelie my little KD80 all day long. I had a rad ramp (quarter pipe) for my bmx that I'd do foot plants on so I figured I try it on a burm with my KD, worked great. I had so much ***** on that thing. Growing up we had a lot of different dirtbikes, 3 wheelers, and quads that we did a lot of crazy stuff on but nowadays, it doesn't seem so easy. I haven't had a quad in 11yrs though.
In your article, you said to use your clutch to shift. I've never used my clutch to shift when I'm at the right rpm. Do you think this would hurt the wheelie? I know with me it's just some sort of mental block. I found myself leaning forward as I get to balance point, knocking myself back down again. If I do it fast, I kinda get past that initial reaction.
Actually the longest wheelie I've done on my z was the other night. My brother let my uncle try his yfz and we were on this trail leading into a field. I flew past him on a wheelie, hit second and managed to keep it there a while and was getting ready to hit third when I felt myself go over a little jump. When I landed I came a little back beyond balance point, but by the time I realized it was ok I was already coming back down again. I think the reason I didn't have that initial reaction to lean forward was 'cause I couldn't see **** so I didn't "feel like" I was falling over. That one was long enough to start in trail and go past the baseball field.
I guess I just need to practice.

Old 09-18-2005, 10:12 PM
Pro Rider

HOW TO WHEELIE
nice article and pics. Did you go all the way over on that pic with you sitting switchback on the handlebars? btw Ive tried many times to get the front end of my z up with it in 3rd gear but will spin out from the stock tires on gravel road. I think I should be able to do it on pavement. As for 4th Ive tried reving it to the max and dumping the clutch but that only spins the tires on dry dirt roads or jerks me forward alittle. Im most likely piping it so I should then just be able to crank it and pull back eh?

Old 12-07-2005, 09:33 PM
Weekend Warrior

The best article for wheelie instructions is in this link www.atvriders.com/articles/atvwheelie.html

Old 12-07-2005, 09:36 PM
Pro Rider

That's the one in the link.

Old 12-07-2005, 09:43 PM
Pro Rider

I know a good way to wheelie too.

Find a KFX700 and a surface that will give you some hookup. A dry field or pavement will work.

Punch the throttle hard.

Enjoy wheelie. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 12-08-2005, 03:03 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Torbinx

HOW TO WHEELIE
nice article and pics. Did you go all the way over on that pic with you sitting switchback on the handlebars? btw Ive tried many times to get the front end of my z up with it in 3rd gear but will spin out from the stock tires on gravel road. I think I should be able to do it on pavement. As for 4th Ive tried reving it to the max and dumping the clutch but that only spins the tires on dry dirt roads or jerks me forward alittle. Im most likely piping it so I should then just be able to crank it and pull back eh?
I can wheelie my Z in 3rd pretty easily. I do have a K&N air filter, CDI, and pipe though. You dont reallllllly have to be on a high traction surface for 3rd gear since the power comes on a lot more gradually. I like to do it in open fields though. Just be moving right along near the bottom of 3rd gear, lean foreward a lot and compress your front suspension as much as possible, and as you pull up as hard as you can (or as much as needed) pin the throttle. The front end should come up slow and steady. Make sure you time nailing the throttle and pulling up just right. You can keep those wheelies going for a pretty long ways. It feels awesome to be going fast in third standing up and bent over foreward a little and still be pulling up more ever so slightly. I feel safer going back further in 3rd for some reason. I think its because its a lot smoother and if you feel like your going over you can pretty easily just let off the gas and lean foreward and it will come down. 4th gear is a different story. I think the only way to do one in 4th is to weight more than I do... or shift up from 3rd. I use the clutch when doing a cat-walk. just grab it with 2 fingers. Takes a little practice. I can go from 1st to the end of third sitting on a shifting wheelie, or cat-walk is what I've heard them be called.

Old 12-12-2005, 08:16 PM
Trailblazer

First get an automatic 2 stroke atv and than just put it in gear and punch the gas and stand it right up. I have a polaris xplorer 400 and I can wheelie almost forever on flat conditions.

Quick Reply: easiest way to wheelie