Sport Quads Discussions on sport quads.

Tell us about your near miss

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2005, 02:56 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tell us about your near miss

I was riding with a group when we all took off from a break. I didn't have my z yet, I was on my quadracer so I was the only one with kickstart. It took me a couple of kicks before I realized the kill switch was off. So I ended up being the caboose. I didn't know these trails. The couple on the utility in front of me did, and they pulled over 'cause they didn't want to hold me back. They knew what was coming up and intended to go through slow. So of course I laid the hammer down and flew by them. I couldn't see the giant whoops 'cause of all the tall grass. I hit the first one and cleared a bunch of them. I could see it getting bad so I leaned all the way back and hung on for dear life. I ended up casing it then pogo'd over it. I hit so hard that my bars rolled forward and down. I damn near went over and I had just hit fourth when I launched so I would've been hurtin had I wiped.

Old 09-18-2005, 03:19 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Yep, recently had my first unintentional dismount. I'd been on this trail once before and no big deal. A couple minutes into it I hit some whoops and no big deal, then a flat straight so I open it up a bit and what looks at the time like a little left hander down into a wash. Well, unknown to me, recent rain washed the wash out, so it was a pretty sheer cliff. Got on the brakes hard, but no way to stop. Wound up with the right tire hitting the "wall" of this wash and me dismounting over the right handlebar into a sage tree, but happy to report quad and rider are doing fine.

Moral of the story: Trails can change if you haven't rode them in a while.

Old 09-18-2005, 09:48 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Webopper

Moral of the story: Trails can change if you haven't rode them in a while.
thats 100% true, no matter where you ride.

Old 09-18-2005, 10:48 AM
Pro Rider

ive had many near miss crashes and quite the few hard crashes..the worse of mine id say was last winter,i was riding with a few friends in a state park with all groomed fire roads.the trail was packed down and groomed real nice so we were going full tilt down these roads,as i was sliding around a sharp corner 1 of my rear tires caught the ungroomed snow on the side of the trail,i got sucked into the deeper snow and my machine went totally sidewards.it rolled 4 or 5 times and i got thrown about 50ft through the air at about 55-60 mph,i landed on the hard packed trail and ended up busting a couple ribs.besides the bent handlebars,steering stem and broken plastic my machine help up pretty good and i ended up driving it a few miles back to the house.i sure wish i had a helmet cam on,i bet the crash would have looked pretty good on tape[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 09-18-2005, 01:23 PM
Pro Rider

I dont have any wild stories but last summer I was riding down in Bragg Creek, Alberta. I was on the honda350 and cruisin through this large gravel pit that had a huge what looked to be shallow mini lake in it. I hit it in forth, then downshifted to 3rd when all the sudden the water went from 10-20inches. I turned real sharp and the water slowed me down like brick wall. I skidded on my chest like a penguin through the water for about 10feet till my helmet caught I went under like a torpedo. I dont think anyone couldve got out of that water faster then me as I was scared of the quad rollin on me. Sure enough it was lying on its back and actually started after 10min. Little shookin up but kinda fun [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 09-18-2005, 09:18 PM
Pro Rider

Last summer at Dirt days at the Hatfield and Mccoy trails i was coming down a set of narrow switchbacks, i was coming in to the turn I went to shift from 3'rd to 2'nd and the gear floated or something, non the less nothing engaged. I locked up my fronts and rears and slid over the edge 50% right down the middle of my raptor, My brand new X-factor front bumper caught on a stump on the edge of the ledge. Had it not me and my raptor would have dropped for about 50 feet.

Old 09-18-2005, 09:36 PM
Pro Rider

Way too many.

Old 09-19-2005, 09:08 PM
Pro Rider

this story is pretty dumb but hey you learn from your mistakes, I was going down the road wideopen not thinking anyone would be coming down I was going about 90kms/hr and a log truck came around the corner taking up the whole road so i slammed the breaks a slid right up a log into a swamp talk about close call eh allwell I do not drive on main roads anymore

Old 09-19-2005, 09:14 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Fire and loggin roads can be a killer...literally. I know a couple people that got into head-ons on fire roads. Thankfully, a broken neck was as bad as it got. I say thankfully because it could of been much worse.

Old 09-20-2005, 09:57 PM
Weekend Warrior

i came up on a bad wreck at hatfield around august 18 this year... dude came off a whoop hit a tree and was thrown down a cliff- they life flighted him out and i aint heard what happened but him and his quad was tore up

Quick Reply: Tell us about your near miss