Sport Quads Discussions on sport quads.

Best Sport Quad with Reverse

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2006, 03:27 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best Sport Quad with Reverse

I would say ether a Raptor 700 or Predator is you want really fast.

If you want a great trail quad the Z400 and its clones are nice.

really comes down to funds and how much power you want.

Raptor 700 is going to be the fastest most powerful

Then the Predator then is in a very close 2nd.

Z400 will be the best if funds are tight or you don't need the fastest thing on the market.

all great machines.

Old 01-10-2006, 07:47 PM
Pro Rider

well you did state you want a sport quad for the ranch, correct? I dont know why maybe just to cruze and play around on the endless terrain you own (lucky you!)??? I dont know, but if the criteria is:
1. sport quad, 2. with reverse, 3. model yr 2000 and newer,

then there are only a couple choices: the raptor (intoduced in 2001 but stay away from that year) and the Z400(introduced in 2003). You can get either one, 2003 and up for decent prices around here. I like the z better b/c it weighs less and handles better, but the raptor has more torque in case you wanted to pull something (not a big @ss trailer or anything but simple things).

the minus- just remember, these are liquid cooled engines and they need air flowing through the radiator to help keep them properly cool. a minus with the raptor is that they are a little tippy (not the new 700R) ; you can solve this with a -arms and axles and stuff, but that may run into $$$.

he only other thing but doesnt have reverse until the 2005 model is the 400ex. they're great bikes and they are air cooled and can take alot of abuse. but they are not as fast and you will spend more on a used 2005 400ex than the other models like a used 2003 z or raptor. if you want to go without reverse, then almost any yr 400ex will be good if its in good shape (this applies to the other bikes as well.

actually there is one more bike i would reccomend and that would be a yamaha warriror. i used to have one back in the day and they are a little heavy, but they are virtually indestructable. i did almost everything on this machine and pulled stuff with it. it never broke, never gave me any trouble (of course i properly maintained it). you can get these for a real good price if all you want to do is jack around and have a little more utility function. The warrior was originally marketed as a 'sport-utility' machine when it was introduced b/c it didnt fit into any one category at the time (late '80s) it kinda did them all.

Old 01-10-2006, 11:17 PM
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: twentycharacters
well you did state you want a sport quad for the ranch, correct? I dont know why maybe just to cruze and play around on the endless terrain you own (lucky you!)??? I dont know, but if the criteria is:
1. sport quad, 2. with reverse, 3. model yr 2000 and newer,

then there are only a couple choices: the raptor (intoduced in 2001 but stay away from that year) and the Z400(introduced in 2003). You can get either one, 2003 and up for decent prices around here. I like the z better b/c it weighs less and handles better, but the raptor has more torque in case you wanted to pull something (not a big @ss trailer or anything but simple things).

the minus- just remember, these are liquid cooled engines and they need air flowing through the radiator to help keep them properly cool. a minus with the raptor is that they are a little tippy (not the new 700R) ; you can solve this with a -arms and axles and stuff, but that may run into $$$.

he only other thing but doesnt have reverse until the 2005 model is the 400ex. they're great bikes and they are air cooled and can take alot of abuse. but they are not as fast and you will spend more on a used 2005 400ex than the other models like a used 2003 z or raptor. if you want to go without reverse, then almost any yr 400ex will be good if its in good shape (this applies to the other bikes as well.

actually there is one more bike i would reccomend and that would be a yamaha warriror. i used to have one back in the day and they are a little heavy, but they are virtually indestructable. i did almost everything on this machine and pulled stuff with it. it never broke, never gave me any trouble (of course i properly maintained it). you can get these for a real good price if all you want to do is jack around and have a little more utility function. The warrior was originally marketed as a 'sport-utility' machine when it was introduced b/c it didnt fit into any one category at the time (late '80s) it kinda did them all.
all true and good points. but the raptor 660 is not tippy, i own one, take my word for it. it may be a little taller than most but to me it is nicely balanced. you can go anywhere the big utes go up until the point you get caught on that 4 inches of ground clearance.

Old 01-11-2006, 12:23 AM
Pro Rider

dude, if you have one and are not used to more refined machinery then it may be your thing. They arent bad bikes and they do ride like a 'sport cadillac' and are very versatile (until you get caught on something- but take heart it happens on all sport bikes). I did reccomend it to the person that started the thread. If i hated it, i would not have done so.

However, IMHO, i found it tippy. My friend has an '02, my cousin has an '03. It is tippy. I come from a 250R, 450R....its tippy compared to these, espescially the 250R. I have also ridden atvs for over 20yrs and have ridden just about every sport bike out there as well.

Old 01-12-2006, 01:01 AM
Pro Rider

twentycharacters-the only quad that rides like a "sport cadillac" is the bomb DS 650. Besides its not like the 660 even has very good shocks.

Old 01-12-2006, 01:16 AM
Pro Rider

not gonna argue there. yes, the ds has better shocks and more travel. but for the purpose of the thread, i did not bring it up b/c last time i checked, it doesnt have reverse, right? i brought up the 400ex b/c you can get them pretty cheap.

Old 01-12-2006, 01:25 AM
Pro Rider

for the purpose of the thread, i did not bring it up b/c last time i checked, it doesnt have reverse, right? i brought up the 400ex b/c you can get them pretty cheap.
No, it doesnt have reverse, so it doesnt pertain to this thread, your right. But all i was trying to get across is that the 660 is not a cadillac. And with the 400ex i totally agree that they are cheap and basically bullet proof.

Old 01-12-2006, 02:05 PM
Weekend Warrior

I would go with the raptor.......everyone is right about the 2001 model stay as far away as possible. I would get the 2003 or newer. I have had a 2001 and now I have the 2005 SE and they didnt feel tippy to me.....JMO

Old 01-12-2006, 02:35 PM
RPM
Pro Rider

You might consider the KFX700. It has several advantages over these other models for several reasons. First, it has an Auto Trany which makes it easy to ride by even novice riders (As long as they are careful.). It has a Ton of Torque and you can add a trailer hitch ball to it and tow a small trailer. (It has the same rearend as the Prairie's and a hitch bracket from them can be installed fairly easy, with a few modifications.) It has Reverse. It has more ground clearance due to the Shaft Drive Rearend and is easier to maintain.

I'm not sure what your wants and needs are, but give the KFX700 a look.

Old 01-12-2006, 06:04 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: cr125predator
for the purpose of the thread, i did not bring it up b/c last time i checked, it doesnt have reverse, right? i brought up the 400ex b/c you can get them pretty cheap.
No, it doesnt have reverse, so it doesnt pertain to this thread, your right. But all i was trying to get across is that the 660 is not a cadillac. And with the 400ex i totally agree that they are cheap and basically bullet proof.
2005 400ex got reverse

Quick Reply: Best Sport Quad with Reverse