Sport Quads Discussions on sport quads.

Budget Friendly ATV

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2006, 06:34 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Budget Friendly ATV

Ive been tryin to get the money for an atv for probably 5 years now, but everytime i get the money something comes up and it just keeps working out where i cant afford one. Well now i need to buy a car and my parents wont sign for one. I'm about to turn 18, but i dont feel like waiting till i build up enough credit to finance one. I've noticed theres a few quads that go for fairl cheap. These being TRX250Rs, ATC250Rs, Lt250Rs, Lt500s, and Blasters. What I really want is a Banshee, but they seem to be in the $3000 range used. The only thing is i heard some bad stuff about LT500, so that is out of the picture. The blaster is alos too slow and i dont have the money to modify it. The trx seems to be the best choice becusae theres lots of parts out for it so repairs would be fairly easy.

So heres what I really need to no.
-How will a TRX/ATC 250R compare to a modern quad performance wise?
-Are the LT250Rs any good? I never really heard and feed back on them.
-Are these 250s reliable? Do they have any potential problems?

In the local want ad there is somee one selling two 1987 suzukis

this is exactly wat it says "(2) 1987 Suzuki Quadsports. 1 in gd cond. Eng rebuilt. New tires, plastics & seat cover. Custom grab bar, skidplate & new rear swing arm bearings. The other is for parts. Comes w/many more parts, too many to list. $800/bo for both."

Does this sound like a good deal?
What should I ask about before going to look at it?
What should I look for if I go and see it?

I apreciate any help,
Thanks

Old 10-23-2006, 10:43 PM
Pro Rider

i live in mass and i seen that in the want ad. where do u guys go riding?. I just got a blaster. and i don't find it slow at all.

Old 10-24-2006, 12:28 AM
Range Rover

Where do you live in Mass? If you are not to far I know someone that is sellling a quad and trailer for $1000, I dont have any other details. I could find out, let me know(scott9710@hotmail.com).

Also my brother-in-law bought a 1997 Blaster in really good condition from Shark Cycle in Stafford Ct. He has had it for a year now and has not had one problem with it yet. They have a bunch of used quads for sale. We were able to get the owner to go down on his price.

Scott

Old 10-24-2006, 02:35 AM
Pro Rider

>>>>>>>>>>>>&g t;>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>&g t;>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>

1. they can hold their own. a few mods and you a pushing near what the stock 450s are doing. mine has bolt ons only. and it will tear up some raptors. i still think the TRX250R is the best handling bike. the YFZ is the cosest stock bike to a trx250R feel you will find at this time.

2. lts are good but they didnt do as well as the honda on the track due to the handling. they were a little faster and the latter yrs were powervalved. NO yr of the trx was powervalved. they are a little rarer to find even though they made them from 85 or 86 til 92. The early models weighed under 300lbs! 293 or 297. i wish they would get back to that.

3. 250s are very reliable but it really depends on the owner- if they take care of stuff it will last. the trx was voted the best used atv at one time and mine is a testament of that; i bought it 4yrs ago from a dude in california, it was on its FIRST rebuild then and is still going 100% strong! 20yrs old and plenty of power, precise feel. i highly reccomend the trx250r. be patient and find a good one. there are many that are ragged out.

Old 10-24-2006, 04:47 AM
Pro Rider

man just watch ebay..somtimes good banshee's sell for really cheep..like around 1500..just becarefull so you dont get scamed..

Old 10-24-2006, 07:34 AM
Pro Rider

What could possibly be wrong with someone to make them want to sell a banshee for 1500$ I would want a shee more than anything too, but i try to stay away from ebay due to scamming.

I was going to by my friends 2002 Cr125 with white plastics, a new clutch, new back tire, and procircuit pipe for $1700. But i would much rather a four wheeler.maybie i would be better off waiting till graduation so i have some more money to throw down.

Old 10-24-2006, 07:35 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: kickass210
i live in mass and i seen that in the want ad. where do u guys go riding?. I just got a blaster. and i don't find it slow at all.
I mainly just go riding in raynham, becuase i have a cousin that lives there and theres some places to ride there. i wouldnt say they are worth visiting tho. but its better than nothing.

Old 10-27-2006, 09:27 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: XxYamahaQuads
Ive been tryin to get the money for an atv for probably 5 years now, but everytime i get the money something comes up and it just keeps working out where i cant afford one. Well now i need to buy a car and my parents wont sign for one. I'm about to turn 18, but i dont feel like waiting till i build up enough credit to finance one. I've noticed theres a few quads that go for fairl cheap. These being TRX250Rs, ATC250Rs, Lt250Rs, Lt500s, and Blasters. What I really want is a Banshee, but they seem to be in the $3000 range used. The only thing is i heard some bad stuff about LT500, so that is out of the picture. The blaster is alos too slow and i dont have the money to modify it. The trx seems to be the best choice becusae theres lots of parts out for it so repairs would be fairly easy.

In the local want ad there is somee one selling two 1987 suzukis

this is exactly wat it says "(2) 1987 Suzuki Quadsports. 1 in gd cond. Eng rebuilt. New tires, plastics & seat cover. Custom grab bar, skidplate & new rear swing arm bearings. The other is for parts. Comes w/many more parts, too many to list. $800/bo for both."

Oh hey here you are. Quadsports are 4 strokes. The old technology 4 strokes are dogs, but they are pretty reliable. The 2 strokes scream but require a lot more maintainance. I've had an '85 and an '89 quadracer. Both have been very fast. I took the 85 apart to fix the transmission. I had it all completely apart as I was going to rebuild it from the ground up. The frame was at my parents, and my Dad plowed it.

Does this sound like a good deal?
What should I ask about before going to look at it?
What should I look for if I go and see it?

I apreciate any help,
Thanks

Old 10-28-2006, 04:01 PM
Pro Rider
Buy it now, explain it to the wife later!

The TRX250r is one sweet machine, and the perfoamance is great on them, a few simple mods and your running side by side with todays new 450's and big bore sport quads. Many have said that the TRX250r is the most reliable 2 stroke. However, can't say that I've seen a cheap one, I bought the cheapest one I saw and I paid $2,500 but mine is pretty close to stock except for the tires, grab bars, and air filter. Usually they go for around $3,300. If your looking for a cheaper reliable 2 stoke I would go for a Quadracer LT250r their also reliable (I'D go for a 89-92 model) they go for around $2000. The only prob the LT250rs seem to have is their swing arms seem to crack pretty easy. Just my .02 I looked at all the 2 stokes before I bought my 250r (banshee, quadracer 250 and 500, gas gas 300, ad the 250r), and the 250r seemed to be the best out of them all.