Ever asked yourself "why a sport quad?"

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2007, 10:33 AM
Pro Rider
Lets Ride!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ever asked yourself "why a sport quad?"

Originally posted by: SlyCulprit
I get a kick out of reading these posts.... And the reference to the slowness of UTE's... Maybe because I've never ridden or raced a big sport quad.... but I lined up with a Raptor 350, a KFX 450 and a Kawi 300 dirt bike and blew the doors off them in a 1/4 mile. My machine has been clocked at 78 mph.... I know sport quads are faster, but how much faster?
I think the speed is less important than the handling to most people.

But there is a difference. While I'm sure your Brute yanks pretty hard on the arms, it is a heavier machine and the inertial G-force on the body during acceleration is reduced. On a sport machine the power is directed more to the body and less to the chassis of the machine. It's just like a car and a truck, you can be going just as fast in a truck as you are in car but the car will always "feel" faster. The bigger the truck the slower it will "feel" to you. The example goes on and on even into planes, you never feel like you are moving 600mph when you are in a 737.

I own a Honda Rancher for work, but I don't ride it for fun, and by comparison to a big Ute it has a fairly nimble handling ride. It is not because it's too slow either, it is quick enough to have fun on most trails. But the handling of my z400 is so amazing and comfort level is so high, I can ride all day. Plus it packs enough punch to keep my speed need satisfied. But I also love to jump and race around an MX track and a Ute no matter how fast is just not made for that.

Old 01-18-2007, 11:01 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thats why i ride 1 of each. Best of both worlds.If you get bored then you ride the other one.

Old 01-18-2007, 11:17 PM
2TV
Pro Rider

Right on maxxedouty, one can really have fun on a utility oriented quad as well in the right environment. Where I spend most of my time (trails in the Appalachian Mountains) there is enough variety on the trails (dirt, roots, rocks and mud) that for someone that likes to ride at a sporting pace they can get an adrenalin rush on a Ute too. A sport quad might be able to pull ahead in certain sections but will be handicapped in others so it kind of averages out. Point being it can be a thrill no matter what you are on if you are pushing it close to your limits, a utility quad with the right setup / features will not only provide you with a smoother ride (less wear and tear on your body) but you can more easily pack along some extra gear (like an air compressor, tire patches, tow rope, winch, etc.) for rescuing riders that may be less equipped.

Now there are places where the sport quad is hands down the way to go (like in the sand, in open / less rocky areas, motocross type tracks, etc.). So to be ready for everything it sure is nice to have BOTH to satisfy one's urge to conquer the terrain of the day...

Old 02-02-2007, 07:33 PM
Trailblazer

i have a utility quad and i want to get some speed since i already have a quad i am probably going to buy me a 1991 kx 125 dirtbike for 800 bucks this thing is huge and fast!!!

Old 07-29-2007, 09:32 AM
Weekend Warrior

I never really thought about that until you said that. I really should get a dirtbike instead of putting tons of money into quads and getting dusted by stock dirtbikes that are way way cheaper lighter faster and funner.

I suppose quads are better in some aspects such as mud/trails balance and towing but other than that a dirtbike is better for younger people who like to go fast. You will pay more for just mods on a quad than it costs to purchase a whole dirtbike that will smoke the modded out quad stock.

Old 08-23-2007, 12:32 PM
Weekend Warrior

i have rode sport quads utes and dirt bikes of all sizes. i prefer a 4 wheeler becuz i feel safer going 60 or 70 mph on 4 wheels than i do going on 2. its easier to lay a dirtbike down than it is a quad. if you were going up a hill and stated going backwards that would be the only time i would prefer a dirt bike.

Old 08-23-2007, 01:05 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I started out on dirt bikes 79 YZ 125 ,then wanted a 3wheeler but my first atv was a 91 warrior ,and after 13 years I bought my Z 400 just the quickness of the machine ,just feels nimble on the trail
I've ran with dirt bikes and on the trails I ride they couldn't keep up ,I'm not the fastest but I do push really hard when riding ,
I've been able to go places that buddies on 4x4 thought i should stay off of ,because they needed 4x4 to get through .but I'm looking forward to buy a 4x4 for working up at my cabin and hunting ,won't give up my sport ride though .

Old 08-23-2007, 01:10 PM
Pro Rider

the reason i ride a sport quad and not a dirt bike is because i like to haul *** most of the time and but when i get tired you can cruze a quad. as for a dirt bike you pretty much have to be on it all the time and if you not there is a pretty good chance your to crash. (there is no cruzing on a dirtbike) also when i get out to olds hill at glamis and you got a dirtbike you have nothing to sit on, you got to dig in your bike and get off and then wherwe do you sit for hours watching people at the hill.

Old 08-26-2007, 12:50 PM
Weekend Warrior

I rode dirtbikes for about 5 years, until I made the changeover to ATV's. I started out on a dinky 125cc, and then went up to a 250.

I had always been a fan of ATV's, but I always seemed to find an amazing deal on a dirtbike. So one day I decided to go get one.

I went with a sport, because after driving multiple 4X4's, I found more cons then pros for the trails I ride:

- slow [in comparison to *most* sports]
- bulky [sometimes the trails can get <u>very</u> tight]
- weigh a ton [not very fun when you wanna whip it around, or there are absolutely enormous whoops]

And they really just weren't my style.

Someone mentioned that most ATV riders don't ride with dirtbikes ... false! Where I go there's a great selection of ATV's and dirtbikers. And my usual riding buddies drive Suzuki 250z bikes, and I can keep up.

Old 08-26-2007, 01:40 PM
Pro Rider
Default Ever asked yourself "why a sport quad?

Someone mentioned that most ATV riders don't ride with dirtbikes ... false! Where I go there's a great selection of ATV's and dirtbikers. And my usual riding buddies drive Suzuki 250z bikes, and I can keep up.</end quote></div>

i know what you mean, my normal group consists of 1 raptor 700, 2 yfz450, 1 450r, yz250, 2 cr500, 1 banshee, 1 250r fourtrax and sometimes a cr450f. sure the bikes are a little faster on strights but not so much that the bikes arnt having fun. also i ride mostly at glamis sand dunes and once you get in the dunes no one is holding back.

Quick Reply: Ever asked yourself "why a sport quad?"