Sport Quads Discussions on sport quads.

problem with engine oil??

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2007, 03:13 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default problem with engine oil??

I just checked my engine oil since i just got it back from the dealership having a recall done on it (clutch cover)and soon as i took the dipstick out it had frost on it and there was bubbles in the oil [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img] ....never seen it like this before

I started the bike up and let it idle for about 5 minutes and the oil is at the full mark and is very clean.....but its like frosty and lil bubbles everywhere..

the dealership had to drain the oil when they did the recall and they should of replaced the oil (im assuming he used the same oil as what i use since i buy it directly from him...

btw im using kawasaki 10w40 oil

is water getting into my oil??? this is starting to scare me [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 02-07-2007, 03:32 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Might be some coolant leaking somewhere and into the oil???? If it is, it will form a whitish emulsion, not just "bubbles".

Oil is cheap. I would drain it, refill with oil you usually use, start it up and see if it still does it. And, keep an eye on your coolant level at the same time.

Old 02-07-2007, 03:42 PM
Pro Rider

dont think coolant is leaking into it...oil is still a prefect light brown colour...just full of bubbles...the frost on the dipstick is what worried me....dunno if water is getting in or what?

I know on my dads canam outlander he uses synthetic oil and its suppost to stop any oil from getting bubbles in it...

think i should try synethic instead?

Old 02-07-2007, 04:06 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Just might be what happens when you check your oil in -20 temps. Drain it to make sure and use "full synthetic" oil like Amsoil, its better than OEM dinosaur's oil.

Old 02-07-2007, 05:17 PM
Red Rider

All modern oils have additives that should keep the bubbles to a minimum.

If it isn't coolant, the only place "water" would come from is if you did a deep water crossing recently, or maybe you just have tons of condensation in there. Is the cranckase breather tube clear????? Is there white goo at the end of the breather tube???

What you call "frost" on the dipstick, is it some whitish goo of some kind????

Old 02-07-2007, 05:29 PM
Pro Rider

no it was actual frost ( not much but still), when i touched the dipstick it all started to melt...bike was sitting outside at the dealership for about 2 days in like -20 degrees celcuis temp. I had it in my shop (unheated) for about 2 days then today i decided to check the oil...I checked it before starting the bike and thats when i noticed the frost on the dip stick...then i loosened the bottom drain plug to make sure there was oil in it (there was) then i fired the bike up and let it idle for a good 5 minutes then checked the oil and it was all small bubbles in the oil

I'm not driving it at all this winter unless it warms up to like zero degrees and I want to change to a synthetic oil....any suggestions on a good kind for my dvx???

Old 02-07-2007, 06:46 PM
Red Rider

Here is what I think happened. As the engine cooled down, moisture condensed on the colder metal dipstick and froze. The question is, what is that much moisture doing in your oil tank.......that is the question you need to solve! As for the bubbles, your oil is cold and thick so the bubbles just don't disperse readily.

Absolutely do run whatever weight oil your owner's manual suggest for those low temps! I think 10W40 is to thick for temps that low. Manual will probably recommend 5W30 (or maybe even 0W30). I run Maxima Extra an ester synthetic, but it doesn't come in 5W30. I would see if Klotz had a synthetic 5W30 if I had to run in real cold temps. Hopefully, the dealer put appropriate weight oil for the season.....give them a call and ask what they put in to make sure!

Don't even try to start it up with to thick oil in it when it is that cold! The oil will not be easily pumpable, and you can ruin your engine in just a couple of minutes.

It was 87 degrees F here over the weekend.....just had to rub it in!

Old 02-07-2007, 07:44 PM
Pro Rider

I only ran my bike for about 10 minutes when i got it back from the dealership. I willnot be riding it til it warms up ( too much snow anyways) plus i got 3 snowmobiles to screw around on...

I just want the best synthetic oil that i can use this summer for my dvx. I dunno why but i cant find many threads about this when i search....atleast threads for a z400 [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/img]

Old 02-07-2007, 08:16 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Read this http://www.firstfives.org/faq/oil/oilartcl.html Pretty well the worst synthetic oil you can find will out perform the best dinosaur oil out there.

As far as I know no OEM oil such as Yamaha's "Yamalube" for example is synthetic. I just shake my head when people carry there brand loyalty for there machines to there brand of oil. Bike manufactures do not make oil and oil companies dont make bikes![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 02-08-2007, 09:53 AM
Red Rider

Honda HP4 is a synthetic blend which contains a fair bit of ester as far as I can judge (based on the smell). Their GN4 is pure dino.

Yamalube bottles say it contains "synthetic anti-shear additives".

Don't know anythng about Kawi or Suzuki branded oils.

Quick Reply: problem with engine oil??