Sport Quads Discussions on sport quads.

yfz450 or raptor? which to buy??

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2007, 08:31 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default yfz450 or raptor? which to buy??

ok, im new and im sure u guys get this alot... but, i recently sold my kfx400 and am looking to get either a yfz450 or a raptor. my first choice is a 450 but after sitting on both the yfz feels small. im 6'0 and 220 lbs. i have friends who ride 450's but there smaller than me. the kfx400 was perfect, most comfertable quad ever. anyway the raptor feels about right but its more expensive and... id be riding a raptor! i dont know, somthing about the raptor just turns me off. as for my riding, i do mostly fast trail riding, and a few trips to the dunes a year, as well as some track play, but no real racing. so my question is, are there any other guys out there my size (comfertably) on a yfz?? or am i better swallowing my pride and buyin a raptor...
thanks
geoff

Old 06-24-2007, 01:43 AM
Trailblazer

i'm 6'-0" 200lbs i have a yfz and love it and i've riden my friends raptor and it rides nice but it didnt take long for me to give it back. the yfz is only .3" lower then the raptor on seat height and 1.6" overall height where it feels weird is the raptor as taller handle bars then the yfz that is where i beleave is where the 1.6" comes from. but just my 2 cents get what feels good to you

Old 06-24-2007, 02:25 AM
Weekend Warrior

thanks, thats good to hear. ya the bars are deffinetly higher, but its my knees that feel weird. they almost stick up taller than the gas tank. is that normal? cause i think i have short legs so it seems weird. o well, glad to hear some one are size is makin it work!!

Old 06-24-2007, 03:07 AM
Weekend Warrior

go with the yfz450 the raptor is so over rated the yfz is faster, and i personally like them better but whatever feels the best to you man

Old 06-24-2007, 09:47 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have never liked tha Raptor's ergonomics, and it is still to narrow, a slight bit tippsy, and it carries its weight a little high in the frame. Does have a thrilling torquey engine though!

The YFZ is a very refinged machine! Light (50 pounds less than the Raptor!), low, and stable. I would get the YFZ even if it meant being a little cramped....

Old 06-24-2007, 11:07 AM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: taco_works

thanks, thats good to hear. ya the bars are deffinetly higher, but its my knees that feel weird. they almost stick up taller than the gas tank. is that normal? cause i think i have short legs so it seems weird. o well, glad to hear some one are size is makin it work!!</end quote></div>

You didnt say Raptor 660 or 700 but i will post stating from a 700 point of view. They are 2 very different machines and my opinion would change if you are referring to a 660.

I have both sitting in my garage right now and unless I rode mainly track Id go with the raptor anyday. It make alot better all around machine. The torque is great for the trails and you will love FI.

The dimensions on the 2 are almost identical but where you feel the difference is in the higher handle bars on the raptor and also the lower pegs. This is what makes the raptor feel bigger. It looks alot bigger mainly because the plastics flair up more. Im am not a big guy and the 450 still feels small to me. The narrow seat, low bars, high pegs and the forward lean just isnt comfortable to me at all.

I would go with a SE/GYTR or wait for the 08's for the upgraded front shocks as this is a big improvement or you can do what I did and add YFZ front shocks with a GT thunder linkage to the back which gives the 700 a much lower stance.

It does Have a higher center of gravity than the 450 but in no way fills tipsy. With my current set-up it is wider than the 450 and sits a little lower.

If you are reffering to the 660 Id probally go with the 450 and raise the bars some and try and do something with the seat. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 06-24-2007, 08:14 PM
Pro Rider

If you want to drag race and trail ride buy a 700r and if u want to jump and ride tracks buy the 450.

07' Raptor 700r
k&n air filter
white bro pro exhaust
power commander efi
itp sand stars
durablue eliminator x-33 axle
i-shock front end

Old 06-24-2007, 10:48 PM
Weekend Warrior

thanks alot guys, the info is great!! still dont know exactly which way im goin. im thinkin of going out to my local ride area (hollister hills CA) and see if i can talk some one in to letting me cruise each bike down the road or mabey even a quick green dot trail. any takers?? i just think its crazy to spend $8000 and not be able to test drive it!

Old 06-25-2007, 01:23 AM
Weekend Warrior

oh one more thing, everyone says the 700's torque is better for trails. but im comming off a kfx400 which i thought had great trail power. so i would think the 450 would be pleanty?? thanks again guys

Old 06-26-2007, 01:32 PM
Pro Rider
Has been here a long time!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Without a doubt for trails the 700 would definately be the better choice. The torque down low will allow you to crawl through rocks and ruts without having to ride the clutch and worry about stalling out. Not to mention the 700 also has reverse.... My experience with 450 class machines on the trails has not been all that flattering. Your always riding the clutch much like a 2-stroke to keep it in its power band.

Quick Reply: yfz450 or raptor? which to buy??