Sport Quads Discussions on sport quads.

Honda 700 XX

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2008, 10:34 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Honda 700 XX

The biggest drawback will be that having a manual clutch, helmetless redneck hillbilie big bore automatic tranny riders won't be able to ride with a beer in their left hand!!!

Old 04-27-2008, 11:48 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Honda 700 XX

Why cant the manufacturers figure out what we want. All they need to do is build a sport 4x4, and they won't be able to make enough of them. What it needs to be is:

450 lbs. maximum

The size of a mid-size utility (Kodiak 350, or Rancher 350)

700cc engine minimum, and don't detune it to death like every Honda utility engine on earth is detuned. Instead of a Rincon 675cc engine that makes 36 HP, it would have to have at least 47 HP like the Grizzly 686cc engine. 55 HP would be even better.

4x4 shift on the fly. For sport use a front locker would not necessarily be needed, but could be optional.

No racks, except as a option that can be purchased separately from the dealer.

Low range if it has a CVT transmisson, or a 6 speed manual transmission with a manual clutch (NOT auto clutch), that has a compound low first gear, and reverse. Or if Honda uses the Rincon transmission, give it four gears instead of three, and make the fourth gear a lower gear than the current first gear. The Rincon transmission would actually work if the Rincon had at least double the horsepower it has now. The reason that transmission always feels like it is in the wrong gear is because the engine is the dog of the century.

At least 10" of high quality indepent front and rear suspension travel. Give us the good shocks that are fully adjustable for low and high speed compression damping, and rebound damping, just like the sport ATVs. The Rincon's suspension would be a good example if it had 3" more suspension travel, and better quality shocks.

Separate front and rear brakes

Old 04-27-2008, 12:13 PM
Trailblazer
Default Honda 700 XX

Honda 700
(Here Is The real Story)

Honda will never build or go after the fastest quad or street sport motorcycle!
Honda is worried about product liability law suit casses that is almost bankrupting the Company.

Honda will always built a good handling and a good middle of the road performance vehicles but they have no intentions of being the fastest or going after that market. Think about it? All these past years Honda has never been the King of anything or near the top in any quad classes.

Honda is one of the best engineered and best handling Atv's you can buy, without being king of the hill, and for me thats just fine.

Garman

Old 04-27-2008, 01:38 PM
Red Rider
Default Honda 700 XX

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: DesertViper

Why cant the manufacturers figure out what we want. All they need to do is build a sport 4x4, and they won't be able to make enough of them. What it needs to be is: </end quote></div>

The original Wolverine was headed in the right direction, but Yamaha bailed and turned it into nothing but a warmed over utility.....

Old 04-27-2008, 01:54 PM
Red Rider
Default Honda 700 XX

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: garman351

Honda 700

(Here Is The real Story)

Honda will never build or go after the fastest quad or street sport motorcycle!</end quote></div>

You know the saying: "Amatures talk speed, pros talk handling"!

I have never been disapointed in a machine that handles well, no mater how fast it will or won't go. So far, the Hondas I have owned have never disapointed me....

Old 04-27-2008, 08:28 PM
Trailblazer
Default Honda 700 XX

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Why cant the manufacturers figure out what we want. All they need to do is build a sport 4x4, and they won't be able to make enough of them. What it needs to be is:

450 lbs. maximum

The size of a mid-size utility (Kodiak 350, or Rancher 350)

700cc engine minimum, and don't detune it to death like every Honda utility engine on earth is detuned. Instead of a Rincon 675cc engine that makes 36 HP, it would have to have at least 47 HP like the Grizzly 686cc engine. 55 HP would be even better.

4x4 shift on the fly. For sport use a front locker would not necessarily be needed, but could be optional.

No racks, except as a option that can be purchased separately from the dealer.

Low range if it has a CVT transmisson, or a 6 speed manual transmission with a manual clutch (NOT auto clutch), that has a compound low first gear, and reverse. Or if Honda uses the Rincon transmission, give it four gears instead of three, and make the fourth gear a lower gear than the current first gear. The Rincon transmission would actually work if the Rincon had at least double the horsepower it has now. The reason that transmission always feels like it is in the wrong gear is because the engine is the dog of the century.

At least 10" of high quality indepent front and rear suspension travel. Give us the good shocks that are fully adjustable for low and high speed compression damping, and rebound damping, just like the sport ATVs. The Rincon's suspension would be a good example if it had 3" more suspension travel, and better quality shocks.

Separate front and rear brakes </end quote></div>

I basically agree with you DesertViper, with a few small differences.
Basically, take the 700xx or an Outlaw IRS and add a CVT with the Polaris seamless 4WD system with shaft drive, add enough mud protection to keep it out of your face (for the eastern muddy trail rednecks like me[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img], who would be the major buyers of these things), floorboards, a comfortable all day seat with a cushy good handling suspension, a large enough rack to haul a small cooler full of sandwiches and cokes, or a six pack.
This is what I have been wanting for a long time.

Old 04-28-2008, 11:24 AM
Pro Rider
Default Honda 700 XX

I remember when the 450R came out, alot of people were upset that Honda missed the boat on that one. Look how many they've sold... [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
I want to ride one, wondering if it's really worth the $5K I'm gonna have to fork over after selling my Z though.

Old 04-28-2008, 11:46 AM
Pro Rider
Default Honda 700 XX

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: nekkidbik

I basically agree with you DesertViper, with a few small differences.

Basically, take the 700xx or an Outlaw IRS and add a CVT with the Polaris seamless 4WD system with shaft drive.</end quote></div>

All wheel drive would work very good for a sport 4x4. That is what the race winning super cars have that race the Pike's Peak hillclimb every year. Its a system that is meant to hook up and go at full throttle, which would be good for a sport 4x4. A traditional locker like on the Yamaha Grizzly for example, is not meant to be used at high speed, and wouldn't be necessay on a sport 4x4.

Old 04-28-2008, 04:51 PM
Red Rider
Default Honda 700 XX

Was at the dealer this morning, and I was pushing on the rear end and thinking how very stiff it was even though the shock adjusters were all the way out. Then, I looked closer and noticed that it has a torsion bar. No doubt this can be tweaked for a plusher ride.

Old 05-08-2008, 06:15 PM
Range Rover
Default Honda 700 XX

Yeah I spoke with a dealer today that has them in stock and he said 8499! Sweet Jesus! I have also been told it is not very good for mountain trails back east here either and is really a wide open dune bike. Others there said it wasn't good and others have praised it. Last review I read online said it was the fastest bike out besides the Thunder Cat 1000. They just said it was not good for going slow and the low end was not that good and stalled alot. Sounds about like the Rincon I had and it wasn't anygood here in the steep mountains either. It also stalled on the bottom a lot. But damn they have priced theirselves out with most that would be marketing this towards.

Quick Reply: Honda 700 XX